Dumbest thing I ever did

you might be missing my point you don't want to run dry on fly sparge you want the liquid on top of the grain continuously and it should run clear eventually, any extra water in or out of the grain you just discard, thats the only way to filter while pulling off sugar, if it runs dry and you add a gallon it just channels and all your doing is adding more water

I’m doing kind of a hybrid method. What I’m supposed to do is pull the grains out of the wort at the end of the mash. The grain basket sits on top of the kettle, and I pour a gallon at a time over the grains until boil volume is achieved. I turn up the thermostat, and by the time it’s boiling, the grains are done dripping. That’s the Mash & Boil way.

With my hybrid method, I run my sparge water slowly from my bottling bucket over the top of the grains, without pulling the grain basket up. I decided to disturb the grains as little as possible. At the same time, the M & B kettle is draining slowly into my old kettle. When the lauter tun is empty, I opened the M & B valve all the way. When the slow drain to the collecting vessel is reduced to a drip, I close the valve, pull the grain basket, dump the collected work back into the M & B, and let the grains continue to drip into the kettle from above. It’ll take almost an hour to reach a boil.

I think what I’m doing is better than their directions, but not as good as a 3 vessel setup. But it’s a process I can easily wrap my head around, and I’m happy with it. Provided that I can consistently achieve predicted volume and gravity. Today went well with volume. I ended up about a quart or two shy of what I wanted. I’ve already added that water, and I’m waiting for the boil. I’ll post gravity results later.

I do the old sparge through bucket sitting atop kettle method works a treat! Average 80% efficiency sparge takes me al of 20 min. I tell ya their aint much sugar left in them grains when im finnished with them.

But if this method gives you better efficency 83% and is consistent and your happy with it roll with it;).

After setting up a 5 minute timer for my immersion chiller where I went from boiling to 68°F, I got 82% efficiency with a 12.25 lb grain bill. Color me happy!

Yeah, the app calls it conversion. That one. I don’t do log entries to get any other efficiency numbers.

Im talking brew house as has been said in the past im not sure 100% if mash efficiency adds up. Its the total brew liquor used hard to get correct for you fly sparge brewers if you dont quite use your total sparge volume?

My sparge is predetermined by water calculator 24lt mash 5 lt sparge most times yeilds me a average 80 percent brew house i can bank on this which is i assume what were all aiming for in our brew house:).

I just followed the Mash & Boil’s instructions for water. 1.3 ratio for strike water, and 3/4 of that for sparge. Top off after that to preboil volume. I only added a quart or two. I just know I want 5.75 - 6 gallons of wort post boil, so I can get 5 gallons of finished product. And I want the gravity to be what I’m expecting, of course. When I started BIAB, I just backed my way into my water requirements, but it was consistent from batch to batch. I think what I learned from my own BIAB experience plus what the M & B says to do will get me close to where I want to be every time.

Last edited:
I’m trying again today. I’m going to really watch my water. 1.3 grain ratio means 4 gallons strike water, and the manual says to use 75% of that for sparging. 7 gallons is probably about right. If not, it should be on the low side. I can add water later if necessary. Funny I’m learning a new way to brew. I used to hit my volume and gravity every time with BIAB and propane.
see my other post on 2nd run. I used 1.4 to pound for a 9.25 Grain bill ( I like the 1.4 better than 1.3 just easier). 75% doesn't work for 9# grain bill despite rounding up to 3 gallons I was still 0.625 gallons short. Still hit 75% efficiency. I warm my water to 175 on stove then place in 5 gallon Igloo cooler till I'm ready to sparge. Use 1 gallon on top. I place the brewer's edge on my kitchen counter. I could spray sparge as I have the set up but i would need a pump

BTW the Top of the Brewer's edge logo is close enough to 5.5 Gallons maybe 5.75 its a better reference than looking inside. I will use than mark instead of trying to look inside while the mash is steaming

Your results look excellent

I’ve done 2 brews using this method, and I was at 82% with each of them. I feel confident enough that I’ve changed parameters of all of my recipes. They were mostly written with 6.5 gallons post boil at 75% efficiency. Now they are at 6 gallons post boil at 80% efficiency. Generally speaking, I removed a pound of base grain from each recipe, and made slight hop adjustments to keep the OG and the IBUs the same. I didn’t pay much attention to grain bill percentage. I’m looking forward to my next brew, but I still have too many full carboys and kegs. First world problems!

Next brew is going to be 6 gallons pre boil s with 5.5 batch to avoid a lot of the junk at the bottom. i hitting 75 % and im happy with that w/o a pump

I’m a bit disappointed with today’s session. I came up 6 points shy on a 1.048 brew, 73%.

Maybe for kicks I’ll try raising the grain basket as designed, and do a slow drain of water through the grains into the kettle. That’d eliminate the need for a temporary wort collecting vessel.

Does anyone have any opinions about a sparge arm like this? I wouldn’t buy it, I would make it. I already have soft tubing. I’d just need the 3 way fitting. In my application, it would be gravity fed. My question is whether water would come out of every hole, or mostly through the holes by the source.

Gravity Sparge Arm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074DBPLQ6

all I can say just think of cleaning it, Iv made one from silicone tubing but I just don't want anything in the way that could create a mess if I have to stir, if you don't stir its does work fine but the issue can arise from spraying and creating some oxygen instead of gently streaming thats why most of us use a hose on top

I don’t see it having the ability to spray. Plus I could partially submerge it to avoid that. I’m not too worried about cleaning it. It’s a piece of preboil hardware. My thinking is that I could get water flowing from several areas rather than just one.

oh I was just thinking of recirculation and sparge but if its just used for sparge water then yes its a good choice and shouldn't get that dirty but in my opinion water above the grain bed is the same no matter where it comes from

I’m just trying to figure out why I had an abysmal conversion (70%) last time. 10 lbs should’ve converted just fine.

well sometimes its not you, things just happen, the grain was old, you channeled, what ever happened try try again lol remember to double crush and if possible add rice hulls for a better recirculation

Would rice hulls help keep the grain from getting too compacted during mash recirculation?

Back