Dry Hopping question for Hazy IPA

Interesting. dryhopping later would also allow me to pull some yeast off the cone before i did it so that i could reuse the pitch.

Would you do the entire dry hop on day 3 or 4? it would certainly simplify things.
Yes.
If I am a little late getting to it, and there is no more off gassing happening, I can always purge it a bit with Co2.
I use an allrounder, nice little rig, and not expensive at all, I love it!

upload_2023-10-7_10-59-30.png

I don't have the recipe on front of me, but I use about 16% Munich to offset the bitterness from the Chocolate. I was going for something close to a Pre Pro Porter for this beer, so I used Crystal Hops. They work very well for what I wanted.

If you end up finding the recipe i would love to take a gander at it! I really like the Black Lager that i make. Its usually my go to after work.

After this batch kicks, I am gonna put on a medium(abv) stout for the cooler months. I will probably brew that pretty soon!

Yes.
If I am a little late getting to it, and there is no more off gassing happening, I can always purge it a bit with Co2.
I use an allrounder, nice little rig, and not expensive at all, I love it!

View attachment 26862

That is a really interesting fermenter lol. Is it plastic? Kind of looks like the blow molded inserts that come out of the 1 way plastic kegs. Is it pressure rated?

It probably cleans fairly easily as well.

Welp, I brewed this on Friday. Came out of the kettle at 18.2p. This morning it was down to 4.3p. 8.01% and 76% Attenuation! looks like i missed the boat on the mid fermentation dry hop lol.

I am going to pull yeast on it and toss in the hops while blowing some Co2 in there. Hopefully that rouses some yeasties and they can chew on my hops for a little while before going to sleep.

I am going to try out CO2 purging my Dryhop buckets for shits and giggles.

Corn in a Schwarzbier very interesting along with the handful of brown malt thrown in for good measure I suspect :).

Very much for good measure. It is a really good beer and sells pretty well for us. the corn helps to thin it and the brown malt is there in an attempt to round out flavors! Not sure whether it is even needed or noticeable, but it made sense when writing the recipe lol.

That is a really interesting fermenter lol. Is it plastic? Kind of looks like the blow molded inserts that come out of the 1 way plastic kegs. Is it pressure rated?

It probably cleans fairly easily as well.
Very lite, and super easy to clean
https://www.kegland.com.au/products/30l-fermzilla-all-rounder-pressure-brewing-kit
Specifications:
  • Body: High Molecular Length PET
  • Volume: 30L (7.9 Gallons, 31.7 Quart)
  • Frame: 304 Stainless Steel Frame
  • Pressure Rated: 2.5 Bar (36.2 PSI)
  • Temperature Rated: 50°C (122°F)
  • Lid Seal: Nitrile Butadiene Rubber (NBR)

Dimensions:
  • 20.75" Height (in Stand)
  • 23.25" Height (with Airlock)
  • 13.9" Tank Diameter
  • 15.7" Diameter (in Stand)
  • 28mm PCO 1881 Threads (Lid)

Very lite, and super easy to clean
https://www.kegland.com.au/products/30l-fermzilla-all-rounder-pressure-brewing-kit
Specifications:
  • Body: High Molecular Length PET
  • Volume: 30L (7.9 Gallons, 31.7 Quart)
  • Frame: 304 Stainless Steel Frame
  • Pressure Rated: 2.5 Bar (36.2 PSI)
  • Temperature Rated: 50°C (122°F)
  • Lid Seal: Nitrile Butadiene Rubber (NBR)

Dimensions:
  • 20.75" Height (in Stand)
  • 23.25" Height (with Airlock)
  • 13.9" Tank Diameter
  • 15.7" Diameter (in Stand)
  • 28mm PCO 1881 Threads (Lid)

interesting. So you can force carbonate in that guy! That is basically the insert from a plastic keg. Very cool!

Surprised that the temp is so low but that is the PET vs HDPE.

Very cool stuff man! We used blow(or roto?) molded Unitanks for our pilot system at the old brewery for Sours and funky beers(knowing they would only see the funk).

interesting. So you can force carbonate in that guy! That is basically the insert from a plastic keg. Very cool!

Surprised that the temp is so low but that is the PET vs HDPE.

Very cool stuff man! We used blow(or roto?) molded Unitanks for our pilot system at the old brewery for Sours and funky beers(knowing they would only see the funk).
Keg King another big supplier in Aus make plastic kegs similar to the arounder for a fraction of the price of a stainless keg the cool thing is their clear so you can see how much beer is left in the keg.

One thing I've found through using the fermentersaurus (another bubble fermenter) is you gotta be careful cleaning them keep the temperature below 50c or that nice bubble is gunna get warped.:D

If you end up finding the recipe i would love to take a gander at it! I really like the Black Lager that i make. Its usually my go to after work.

After this batch kicks, I am gonna put on a medium(abv) stout for the cooler months. I will probably brew that pretty soon!
My recipe was:
OG 1.056
FG 1.018
Mashed @152F 60 Minutes
Pitched around 60F

35.7% American 2 Row Pale
33.9% American 6 Row Pale
12.5% Munich I (10L)
7.1% Chocolate 350
7.1% Flaked Corn
3.6% Crystal 120.

Crystal Hops @25.9 IBUs 5/6 of the hops @60minutes 1/6 at 10 minutes
Saflager 34/70 yeast pitched quite liberally (I used 4 packets in 5 gallons).

Keg King another big supplier in Aus make plastic kegs similar to the arounder for a fraction of the price of a stainless keg the cool thing is their clear so you can see how much beer is left in the keg.

One thing I've found through using the fermentersaurus (another bubble fermenter) is you gotta be careful cleaning them keep the temperature below 50c or that nice bubble is gunna get warped.:D

Ya those plastic single use kegs are not really great for production breweries. They are pricey and while they can technically be cleaned, they frequently fail when cleaning them(on a keg washer).

They can also scratch, which lets the bugs hide!

My recipe was:
OG 1.056
FG 1.018
Mashed @152F 60 Minutes
Pitched around 60F

35.7% American 2 Row Pale
33.9% American 6 Row Pale
12.5% Munich I (10L)
7.1% Chocolate 350
7.1% Flaked Corn
3.6% Crystal 120.

Crystal Hops @25.9 IBUs 5/6 of the hops @60minutes 1/6 at 10 minutes
Saflager 34/70 yeast pitched quite liberally (I used 4 packets in 5 gallons).

How do you like using the 6 row? I have never tried it. i need todo some research on it!

I did almost all 6 row with a Pre Pro Lager. It just has more protein than the 2 row and doesn't ferment down as well. I mixed the two together for the dark lager. I'm only brewing 5 gallons and not commercially, but I sure as hell liked it:)
I did the Pre Pro because l really liked what the former brewer at Deadwords in Orlando did with it, and he used 6 row and Crystal Hops, and corn for a traditional beer. So did I. When they had it on tap, it was one of my favorite lagers in town. Now they have two others, that I love just as much.

Hey guys,

I am trying out a different Dry Hop schedule for this batch! Looking to do some mid fermentation hops. I looked at some recipes on here and it looks like people generally shoot for a 7 and 3 days.

I am thinking that i need to look at my previous batches with the Voss and grab a general Plato that will finish out at around 7 days. So it looks like for this OG i would need to be around the 3rd to 4th day of fermentation. BUT if i wait later, it shouldn't hurt as long as it sees active fermentation?

What would yall consider the max for the mid fermentation DH day wise? I would assume that 10 days would be the very outside edge for it, but I have never done a mid ferment DH.

Also I thought that I had 18#s of Flaked Oats, but it turns out that I only have 8#s :( Got todo a big grain order soon!

Probably brewing this on Wednesday of this week. Discover apartments for rent in Batroun, a coastal gem in Lebanon, offering a laid-back lifestyle with stunning Mediterranean views. These rentals provide a mix of modern conveniences and seaside charm, making them an appealing choice for those seeking a tranquil coastal escape. Batroun's apartment rentals are perfect for those who appreciate a relaxed atmosphere and easy access to the beach, making it an ideal destination for a serene Mediterranean living experience.
I brewed on Saturday and today is Wednesday. I just put in 4 OZ of Ahtanum pellet hops, 2 oz of citra pellet hops, and 2 oz of mosaic whole flower hops(because the homebrew shop was out of pellets). This was my first-time dry-hopping with whole flower hops and I don't know if I made a mistake. I put in the mosaic whole flower hops first and they just started floating, then I put in the other pellet hops. The thing is the whole flower mosaic hops kind of blocked the pellet hops from going into the wort. Would it be smart for me to sanitize my mash spoon and just give the hops a quick stir to try and get the pellets into the wort or do you think I will be ok and eventually they will end up going in? The beer is fermenting right now at around 70 F.

I brewed on Saturday and today is Wednesday. I just put in 4 OZ of Ahtanum pellet hops, 2 oz of citra pellet hops, and 2 oz of mosaic whole flower hops(because the homebrew shop was out of pellets). This was my first-time dry-hopping with whole flower hops and I don't know if I made a mistake. I put in the mosaic whole flower hops first and they just started floating, then I put in the other pellet hops. The thing is the whole flower mosaic hops kind of blocked the pellet hops from going into the wort. Would it be smart for me to sanitize my mash spoon and just give the hops a quick stir to try and get the pellets into the wort or do you think I will be ok and eventually they will end up going in? The beer is fermenting right now at around 70 F.
It'll be fine, let them sink in on their own.

It'll be fine, let them sink in on their own.
I agree. Def dont try to stir it in with a spoon. that almost guarantees oxygen pickup.

If they dont sink in a day or so maybe gently swirl the whole carboy or fermenter.

I havent used whole cone hops in a very very long time, generally speaking they are ALOT less efficient then T90s for dryhopping. Very cool to look at, but you dont really gain much by using them. Obviously this is just my opinion.

if you have more, you always work out a way to do a diy hopback.

Back