Dry Hopping question for Hazy IPA

They would sell Regent bottles in 1.5lt you can Autoclave them.

Looks like 2lt is a common size.

I keep yeast in one of these their cool because they vent and gas that the yeast build up.

Late to the party on this one
I have changed my dry hopping to one addition, late in fermentation.
I use VOSS for NEIPA, and would add the first addition within 12 hours when fermentation is insane (100F+ @ 10PSI).
Second addition would be within the next 24 hours.
I was not all that happy with the resulting aroma.
It occurred to me that the crazy wonderful aroma must be aroma wasted.
I usually dry hop on day 3, or day 4 depending on activity, I try to catch it while there is still some Co2 being pushed out, but as it is winding down.
I have been happy with the results since making this change.
I also dry hop at about 10 grams/liter

Late to the party on this one
I have changed my dry hopping to one addition, late in fermentation.
I use VOSS for NEIPA, and would add the first addition within 12 hours when fermentation is insane (100F+ @ 10PSI).
Second addition would be within the next 24 hours.
I was not all that happy with the resulting aroma.
It occurred to me that the crazy wonderful aroma must be aroma wasted.
I usually dry hop on day 3, or day 4 depending on activity, I try to catch it while there is still some Co2 being pushed out, but as it is winding down.
I have been happy with the results since making this change.
I also dry hop at about 10 grams/liter

Interesting. dryhopping later would also allow me to pull some yeast off the cone before i did it so that i could reuse the pitch.

Would you do the entire dryhop on day 3 or 4? it would certainly simplify things.

They would sell Regent bottles in 1.5lt you can Autoclave them.

Looks like 2lt is a common size.

I keep yeast in one of these their cool because they vent and gas that the yeast build up.

Regent bottles? is that a brand or a type of bottle? bleeding pressure would be nice!

Reagent bottles. Generic bottle type.

Ya I got that after a quick google search. I then got busy and forgot to reply lol. They are actually fairly pricey(compared to the nalgenes). For now, I think I am gonna stick with my Nalgenes since I dont have an autoclave and just toss them into the kettle with 185F Hot water for a while. On a positive note, we are in the process or ordering a new brewhouse and more tanks so thats good!

Hope all is well!

Ya I got that after a quick google search. I then got busy and forgot to reply lol. They are actually fairly pricey(compared to the nalgenes). For now, I think I am gonna stick with my Nalgenes since I dont have an autoclave and just toss them into the kettle with 185F Hot water for a while. On a positive note, we are in the process or ordering a new brewhouse and more tanks so thats good!

Hope all is well!
Borosilicate glass isn't cheep I suppose.
The one I've got I've had for easy 7 years and I've not managed to break it in all that time even with dropping it.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1416712/double-juicy-ipa-new-

Hey guys,

I am trying out a different Dry Hop schedule for this batch! Looking to do some mid fermentation hops. I looked at some recipes on here and it looks like people generally shoot for a 7 and 3 days.

I am thinking that i need to look at my previous batches with the Voss and grab a general Plato that will finish out at around 7 days. So it looks like for this OG i would need to be around the 3rd to 4th day of fermentation. BUT if i wait later, it shouldn't hurt as long as it sees active fermentation?

What would yall consider the max for the mid fermentation DH day wise? I would assume that 10 days would be the very outside edge for it, but I have never done a mid ferment DH.

Also I thought that I had 18#s of Flaked Oats, but it turns out that I only have 8#s :( Got todo a big grain order soon!

Probably brewing this on Wednesday of this week with garage floor coating greenville sc.
7 weeks ago I brewed an all grain pale ale. 50/50 Pale Ale and Vienna malt. I bittered with Magnum and then dry hopped.

Dry hopped with pellets and for a short period of 3 days. Dry hop was done in a fine mesh bag, in the keg. Put this under pressure at room temp (lack of space in the fridge) and even at room temp it tasted amazing. It was cloudy like a NEIPA but with a low ABV and no hop burn. It made its way to the fridge, still pouring hazy, which is fine, but after about a week or so in the fridge (40 deg) It cleared up really nice. I was not expecting that.

So, if I would have simply chilled this for a week or two would I have lost this 'haze' I got out of the first gallon? The first few glasses did have a fine sediment in them, which was expected.

Also, yeast I used was Safale S-04.

Thanks.

I know from previous discussions you are using the Kveik because you don't have the space or the extra time, but you are talking about trying new things and trying to improve your product.
There is one place in town that used to use a lot of basic yeasts. Once they started playing around with some liquid that was designed for what they were making, their beer became pretty damn good.
I still have a way to go with my hopping skills, but for a juicy, White Labs Coastal Haze will give it a nice character.
If I would have gone with a heavier hand with the hops, my NE would have been pretty good.

7 weeks ago I brewed an all grain pale ale. 50/50 Pale Ale and Vienna malt. I bittered with Magnum and then dry hopped.

Dry hopped with pellets and for a short period of 3 days. Dry hop was done in a fine mesh bag, in the keg. Put this under pressure at room temp (lack of space in the fridge) and even at room temp it tasted amazing. It was cloudy like a NEIPA but with a low ABV and no hop burn. It made its way to the fridge, still pouring hazy, which is fine, but after about a week or so in the fridge (40 deg) It cleared up really nice. I was not expecting that.

So, if I would have simply chilled this for a week or two would I have lost this 'haze' I got out of the first gallon? The first few glasses did have a fine sediment in them, which was expected.

Also, yeast I used was Safale S-04.

Thanks.

I dont know Safale S-04, but I use Voss(which is a high flock yeast that generally clears out reliably within a week or so at cold temps). My high abv IPAs generally hold onto their haze even after being chilled for weeks. My 4 kegs last about a month on draft and are generally still hazy when they kick. I also dont use any finings.

This was doing a dryhop post fermentation at either 60f(cooled to collect yeast) or a fermentation temp(about 80f). I leave the tank as hot as possible until The day before i need to carbonate the beer. I crash(34f) the beer down in order to carbonate it. I try to leave it cold and carbed for a day before i keg it off, but sometimes that doesn't work out.

I think that this batch(brewing today) I am going to dryhop it towards the end of fermentation, probably on day 4 when it is atleast midway through fermentation. Going to toss all of the hops in at that point and let it ride lol.

Borosilicate glass isn't cheep I suppose.
The one I've got I've had for easy 7 years and I've not managed to break it in all that time even with dropping it.

lol ya lab glass is pricey. Those caps are awesome but also $25+ each! I generally stick with HDPE/LDPE/SS. Maybe eventually!

I know from previous discussions you are using the Kveik because you don't have the space or the extra time, but you are talking about trying new things and trying to improve your product.
There is one place in town that used to use a lot of basic yeasts. Once they started playing around with some liquid that was designed for what they were making, their beer became pretty damn good.
I still have a way to go with my hopping skills, but for a juicy, White Labs Coastal Haze will give it a nice character.
If I would have gone with a heavier hand with the hops, my NE would have been pretty good.

For sure.

I have been thinking it might be nice to brew a Belgian Double which means I will need Belgian yeasties.

I also just used some Wit yeast and just reaffirmed why I don't like Wits/hefes lol. Without a haze stabilizer they just dont stay hazy in the kegs and my bartenders are FAR too lazy to shake the kegs to rouse the yeast. I also dont love the flavor of them, so i just toss fruit in my wheat beers. Problem solved.

Honestly, the Voss yeast makes pretty good IPAs. I was thinking about getting some more specific yeast for IPAs since they are all Juicy at this point. I would be able to reuse the yeast to some extent.

I started out using white labs liquid yeast, but my schedule is sort of variable so I switched to dry yeasts since they have a very long shelf life. Which has allowed me to stock pile several pitches of Lager yeast and Voss, as well as things like Philly Sour(which i hate) and Wit yeast.

We are working on getting quotes and financing for several more FVs, a HLT, a larger more standard brewhouse, doubling the size of our cooler and draft system, etc. Having more tanks and draft lines will make my life a lot easier/busier especially in the summer, but that will be good!

Last edited:
Glad for you.
We definitely try to make our rounds at the breweries around town. I lost count at what we have with all the changes, but it is 20 something or 30.
I'm probably going to have some German lagers tonight, but the breweries that I frequent over and over normally have a few things in common:
A really good staff, a good variety of beer that they post online that I can see before I visit, they make traditional, European styles for me at a moderate alcohol level and something sweet and dark for the wife, and they either serve food, have a food truck, or have somewhere that I can't resist eating on the way over.
I like hoppy beers, but I like them in the 5's - more like a Pale Ale.

Glad for you.
We definitely try to make our rounds at the breweries around town. I lost count at what we have with all the changes, but it is 20 something or 30.
I'm probably going to have some German lagers tonight, but the breweries that I frequent over and over normally have a few things in common:
A really good staff, a good variety of beer that they post online that I can see before I visit, they make traditional, European styles for me at a moderate alcohol level and something sweet and dark for the wife, and they either serve food, have a food truck, or have somewhere that I can't resist eating on the way over.
I like hoppy beers, but I like them in the 5's - more like a Pale Ale.

We would fall into that catagory. We have very good food. Lots of options for styles at different ABVs. Right now we have: Marzen@5.8%, Black Lager@5.7, Fruited Sour at 5, Session Juicy IPA at 5.1, Golden Lager at 4.8, Double Juicy at 8.2, Red IPA at 6.7, Apricot pale ale at 5.5.

I only have 8 draft lines so not alot of variety within each style, but I try to rotate through styles. I keep on a light lager, dark beer, Big IPA, Session IPA, and a Sour. Leaves me a few lines todo seasonal things or random things.

Doing everything that i can to get someone to work on our website. Very annoying that it isnt done yet, but i cant force it as i dont sign the checks.

We would fall into that catagory. We have very good food. Lots of options for styles at different ABVs. Right now we have: Marzen@5.8%, Black Lager@5.7, Fruited Sour at 5, Session Juicy IPA at 5.1, Golden Lager at 4.8, Double Juicy at 8.2, Red IPA at 6.7, Apricot pale ale at 5.5.

I only have 8 draft lines so not alot of variety within each style, but I try to rotate through styles. I keep on a light lager, dark beer, Big IPA, Session IPA, and a Sour. Leaves me a few lines todo seasonal things or random things.

Doing everything that i can to get someone to work on our website. Very annoying that it isnt done yet, but i cant force it as i dont sign the checks.
Did you use Kveik on the Marzen too?
I have only had one made with Kveik. It was good, but something tasted different. They finally told me it was the yeast, and the lightbulb went on.
I love Black Lagers. I have been drinking on mine for some time. I basically made a Porter recipe, used Lager yeast and flaked corn instead of flaked oats. The beer is awesome and right at 5.0.

Did you use Kveik on the Marzen too?
I have only had one made with Kveik. It was good, but something tasted different. They finally told me it was the yeast, and the lightbulb went on.
I love Black Lagers. I have been drinking on mine for some time. I basically made a Porter recipe, used Lager yeast and flaked corn instead of flaked oats. The beer is awesome and right at 5.0.

Nope I use Nova and Voss as my 2 normal yeasts. Nova is awesome, clean and fast without off flavors.

Yup the black lager is basically a light porter recipe and i too use corn and Nova lager. Plus i try to minimize the bitterness by using Black prinz, tried to get a bag of Midnight wheat, but Country malt was out of it when i ordered.

Nope I use Nova and Voss as my 2 normal yeasts. Nova is awesome, clean and fast without off flavors.

Yup the black lager is basically a light porter recipe and i too use corn and Nova lager. Plus i try to minimize the bitterness by using Black prinz, tried to get a bag of Midnight wheat, but Country malt was out of it when i ordered.
I wouldn't of thought black prinz would be a debittered roasted malt? Not used it honestly though midnight wheat is the bomb for smooth slight roasty flavor.

I can see there's alot going on for you in your brewery man.

I'd stick with the tried and true and what's working for you before going and changing too many variables at once.

Do you have a pilot rig you can use to test out variables before brewing on your commercial system?

This is how I would wing it if brewing pro

I wouldn't of thought black prinz would be a debittered roasted malt? Not used it honestly though midnight wheat is the bomb for smooth slight roasty flavor.

I can see there's alot going on for you in your brewery man.

I'd stick with the tried and true and what's working for you before going and changing too many variables at once.

Do you have a pilot rig you can use to test out variables before brewing on your commercial system?

This is how I would wing it if brewing pro

I like black prinz alot. it adds alot of color without being overly bitter. I tried to get my hands on the midnight wheat but they were out.

Black Lager Recipe
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1380452/black-lager-bright-side-black-lager-

Man, honestly this is a pretty cushy job(its slowing down out here on the beach so im only really working 3 days a week and still on salary). I ran a much larger regional brewery that was infinitely more complicated(and intensely stressful) for close to a decade.

Our batch costs are low enough(between $150 and $400 a batch) that dumping a batch just annoys me more so then hurts fiscally. Time wise it wouldn't make sense for me to use my time making less beer then I am. Bigger breweries around here have pilot systems that are my size or bigger.

The ingredient costs when you are making 30bbls is anywhere between $1000 and $3000. For those guys a pilot is super key. Plus the bigger cost is that they are running tight time wise as they have distributors and packaging costs that force them to get it right every time, on time.

I don't have the recipe on front of me, but I use about 16% Munich to offset the bitterness from the Chocolate. I was going for something close to a Pre Pro Porter for this beer, so I used Crystal Hops. They work very well for what I wanted.

I like black prinz alot. it adds alot of color without being overly bitter. I tried to get my hands on the midnight wheat but they were out.

Black Lager Recipe
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1380452/black-lager-bright-side-black-lager-

Man, honestly this is a pretty cushy job(its slowing down out here on the beach so im only really working 3 days a week and still on salary). I ran a much larger regional brewery that was infinitely more complicated(and intensely stressful) for close to a decade.

Our batch costs are low enough(between $150 and $400 a batch) that dumping a batch just annoys me more so then hurts fiscally. Time wise it wouldn't make sense for me to use my time making less beer then I am. Bigger breweries around here have pilot systems that are my size or bigger.

The ingredient costs when you are making 30bbls is anywhere between $1000 and $3000. For those guys a pilot is super key. Plus the bigger cost is that they are running tight time wise as they have distributors and packaging costs that force them to get it right every time, on time.
Corn in a Schwarzbier very interesting along with the handful of brown malt thrown in for good measure I suspect :).

Back