Cranberry Ginger Sour - HELP/ADVICE :)

Well - I'd need to know a bit more info and actually see a picture...

What was the exact yeast? OYL-605?

Not sure how you could have introduced more sugar... but it seems that your yeast hasn't really started working yet... I assume you want to transfer due to the "mold" - I'd need to see a pic of that.

Someone else here who makes sours might be better suited to answer your questions - however, I don't mind researching, learning and trying to figure it out.

Well - I'd need to know a bit more info and actually see a picture...

What was the exact yeast? OYL-605?

Not sure how you could have introduced more sugar... but it seems that your yeast hasn't really started working yet... I assume you want to transfer due to the "mold" - I'd need to see a pic of that.

Someone else here who makes sours might be better suited to answer your questions - however, I don't mind researching, learning and trying to figure it out.

Correct, it was OYL-605.

Damn, I didn't take a picture. It was specks of green mold that was on the sides of the plastic tub.

Well, I racked into primary on top of more candied ginger, may have messed up by doing that.

Correct, it was OYL-605.

Damn, I didn't take a picture. It was specks of green mold that was on the sides of the plastic tub.

Well, I racked into primary on top of more candied ginger, may have messed up by doing that.

So I assume what you were doing was souring the beer (48 hours with the Lacto)? And now you plan to ferment it...?

When I read up on OYL-605 it stated that it is very susceptible to HOPS. Now, remember, I've never done this... But from what I read the wort should have been "un-hopped" prior to souring with the OYL-605 and then you reboil the wort to kill off the lacto and (I assume) you can add your hops then... Is this what you're doing? OR did you make wort with hops and then sour it with Lacto?

It appears that hops would inhibit the lacto from doing its thing - ie. hops anti-bacterial properties.

When you just racked it into the primary I assume you pitched yeast?
(Sorry that I haven't been much help, I'm literally learning this souring process while reviewing with you - I hope that's okay :) )

As for the "mold" - hard for me to guess without a photo...

Anyone else out there who's actually made sours is welcome to chime in!

Last edited:
So I assume what you were doing was souring the beer (48 hours with the Lacto)? And now you plan to ferment it...?

When I read up on OYL-605 it stated that it is very susceptible to HOPS. Now, remember, I've never done this... But from what I read the wort should have been "un-hopped" prior to souring with the OYL-605 and then you reboil the wort to kill off the lacto and (I assume) you can add your hops then... Is this what you're doing? OR did you make wort with hops and then sour it with Lacto?

It appears that hops would inhibit the lacto from doing its thing - ie. hops anti-bacterial properties.

When you just racked it into the primary I assume you pitched yeast?
(Sorry that I haven't been much help, I'm literally learning this souring process while reviewing with you - I hope that's okay :) )

As for the "mold" - hard for me to guess without a photo...

Anyone else out there who's actually made sours is welcome to chime in!

No problem at all.

So you're right, based on what my knowledge was. That you sour first, then add hops, but the owner at our local brewcraft said that the hops he suggested were weak enough that it shouldn't have caused any issues.

I did some reading on the mold, basically as long as it isn't the beer we're fine, and if there was it would be on the top and could be skimmed off.

The OYL-605, from what I understand, is a yeast-lacto mix, so you add both in primary.

I guess we'll see! haha

No problem at all.

So you're right, based on what my knowledge was. That you sour first, then add hops, but the owner at our local brewcraft said that the hops he suggested were weak enough that it shouldn't have caused any issues.

I did some reading on the mold, basically as long as it isn't the beer we're fine, and if there was it would be on the top and could be skimmed off.

The OYL-605, from what I understand, is a yeast-lacto mix, so you add both in primary.

I guess we'll see! haha
Here's what I found... It makes it sound like a blend of "lacto strains" - to me anyway. Read and let me know what you think... There is a podcast link too but I didn't check it out. (They recommend no hops or less than 2-5 IBUs...)
https://omegayeast.com/omega-yeasts-guide-to-kettle-souring

My recommendation would be to check it again tonight or tomorrow night and see what your pH is (or how sour it tastes) and then, if there is no krausen forming or the gravity hasn't dropped - reboil for 15-20 minutes (especially if any mold shown back up) and maybe add a touch more hops. Then cool to ale tamps and pitch an ale yeast of your choice.
- This is just my recommendation based on reading...

Gas leak in the primary fermentor, my guess.

Back