Conversion efficiency advice needed!

I like the aspect of consistency, and I feel that the efficiency numbers help express the consistency of my process. That and good tasting beer.
That's what it's good for. The number doesn't matter and will change system to system. The only efficiency number that matters is your own.

Right, I am definitely shooting for a consistent conversion and/or brew house efficiency so I can plan better. If I know I can only get 60 percent conversion efficiency, I'd be ok, but it is just all over the place (49-88).

Right, I am definitely shooting for a consistent conversion and/or brew house efficiency so I can plan better. If I know I can only get 60 percent conversion efficiency, I'd be ok, but it is just all over the place (49-88).
I'd check measurements in that case, that's a very wide range for process error.

Yup a set amount of grain in a set amount of water in same brew system boiled over same period of time should yeild the same results within a small amount of diviation from the average Brew House % set point.

I'd go hardcore Nodeybear on it:D! You know his metaphor what was it oh brew the same beer over and over until you reach consistentcy or something like that anyhow:rolleyes:.

Hydrometers dont lie you gotta trust your measurements

They do if you don't correct for temperature. I even get variable readings on my refractometer as the wort cools on it.
Amen all part of the learning experience and thankfully the brains trust have built in a wort temp correction factor into the hydrometer section:).

Oh and there is a point or two difference I'm sure most of us are cool with this inconsistency as were not selling our booze to the public.
But a difference of 6 or more points from brew to brew that is to inconsistent for me and would have me double checking my notes grav readings volume ect ect

I definitely needed to learn how to take a consistent refractometer reading. Taking multiple readings, giving the temperatures time to adjust, counting to 30 cats and dogs, etc. It helped eliminate some of my early fluctuations in numbers.

I definitely needed to learn how to take a consistent refractometer reading. Taking multiple readings, giving the temperatures time to adjust, counting to 30 cats and dogs, etc. It helped eliminate some of my early fluctuations in numbers.
True that I've yet to buy a refractometer but looking at the price kegland have theirs going well will see...:rolleyes:

On brew day I'll take a pre boil and post boil sample usually in a left over jam jar (yeast collection jar) and cool them and let them sit pretty much until brew days sorted clean up is done and beer is in hand ready to go over my notes of what I scribbled down on brew day then i do my second check on pre boil and take a OG reading.

I'm not a splitting hairs type brewer but like to line up my brew day numbers where possible I'm either inconsistently consistent of consistently consistent :confused: but the numbers are usually pretty close after all these years inputting them into the BF system.
I can really count on the BF recipe editor predicting my Final gravity within a few points

True that I've yet to buy a refractometer but looking at the price kegland have theirs going well will see...:rolleyes:

On brew day I'll take a pre boil and post boil sample usually in a left over jam jar (yeast collection jar) and cool them and let them sit pretty much until brew days sorted clean up is done and beer is in hand ready to go over my notes of what I scribbled down on brew day then i do my second check on pre boil and take a OG reading.

I'm not a splitting hairs type brewer but like to line up my brew day numbers where possible I'm either inconsistently consistent of consistently consistent :confused: but the numbers are usually pretty close after all these years inputting them into the BF system.
I can really count on the BF recipe editor predicting my Final gravity within a few points
We all brew differently... If it works for you, it works. As for refractometer reading, I get my pH sample in a 50 ml beaker, load my refractometer, let the temperature equalize for a couple minutes, then read. Key is consistency.

Another thing I do to the wort prior to the refractometer reading is to filter the sample through a paper towel or napkin. It reduces the solids and you get a more defined line on the sight glass.

Another thing I do to the wort prior to the refractometer reading is to filter the sample through a paper towel or napkin. It reduces the solids and you get a more defined line on the sight glass.
I let it settle while it cools, same principle.

I let refractometer samples cool 2-3 minutes in the little plastic eye dropper thingies, and I definitely get a crisper line to read.

I let refractometer samples cool 2-3 minutes in the little plastic eye dropper thingies, and I definitely get a crisper line to read.

“Little plastic eye dropper thingies” = Pipettes

Back