Community recipe?

Sounds great! I'll participate, but it'll be awhile for me. I've already got my next two planned out. I do want to do this though!

I’d like to give this a go as well, but like TW, I probably can’t brew this until late December at the earliest. Maybe not until after the New Years even. By that time you might all be on the next brew and hopefully I can catch up at that point. :)

Having never bothered with lagers, mainly because all of my favorite beers are Ales, I have one question for the lager brewers:
What is the most forgiving lager yeast as far as temp control is concerned? Or, what yeast works best in the upper end of typical lager fermentation temps?

Thanks in advance.

I’d like to give this a go as well, but like TW, I probably can’t brew this until late December at the earliest. Maybe not until after the New Years even. By that time you might all be on the next brew and hopefully I can catch up at that point. :)

Having never bothered with lagers, mainly because all of my favorite beers are Ales, I have one question for the lager brewers:
What is the most forgiving lager yeast as far as temp control is concerned? Or, what yeast works best in the upper end of typical lager fermentation temps?

Thanks in advance.
I’d like to join in as well. But, like others, for various reasons I couldn’t participate until after the first of the year. Plus, I don’t have the capability to lager. So, I’d sit the first one out anyway.

I’d like to join in as well. But, like others, for various reasons I couldn’t participate until after the first of the year. Plus, I don’t have the capability to lager. So, I’d sit the first one out anyway.
Same boat unless I lager outside but I don't want to rely on the weather. I'll be placing my next order around February or March so if the next one lines up around then I'm in.

I'll be brewing it with 34/70 very forgiving yeast for first time lager brewer nothing to be afraid of everything to gain:).
48-72 temp range on the pack. I know, I know those aren’t always correct, but I’ve used it low 50s, and high 50s with no difference. I’ve read of many people going in the 60s and it still being clean as expected.

I'm in order is going in today;).

Now @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews if you dont mind filling us in on the beer of yours.

What is it you love some much about it?

How many times you brewed it?

What changes have you made to it to get you where it is today?

I'm guessing we can use Sazz in substitution to kazbek hops if we can't source them?

Any different yeast you use to brew this up?
I'm sure you used S05 before...?

I'm not sure I'll get my hands on black prince over hear but maybe midnight wheat might be a good substitute if that's hard to come by?

Any brewing tweeks water profile you like?
Cheers;)

First question, Shady Bohemian, is the first one STARTED great, loved the first batch. All my other beers were a process of tweek this and that until they were where I liked them. Probably the closest commercial beer would be Shiner Black Bohemian, Shady Bohemian is still very much a malt driven beer, but I think it is a bit better balanced, and it pours with a fantastic thick light tan head of foam.

I recently brewed it for the 2nd time, I only brew about once a month, so recently, to compensate for that I increased my batch size on my better beers(went from 6-8gal to 10-12). The only beers that I've brewed more than twice(I've only been brewing about a year and a half) are Blonde On Blonde and Dirty Bohemian.

Originally, I hadn't planned on any changes from the first batch, however, my dad is allergic to the 34/70 I used for the first batch. so I switched to Mauribrew 497(TECNICALLY a bottom fermenting ale yeast) and tweaked the recipe a bit for the difference in attenuation. While I was at it I decreased the abv a bit to make it a little more sessionable. The only other change was due to an inventory error on my part, ran short on Midnight Wheat so I made up the difference with BlackPrinze, a change I'm keeping as I like what it does.

If you can't find Kazbek(Yakima Valley Hops had it last time I checked), you could match the IBU's with either Saaz or Sterling and still come up with a great beer(I like all three A LOT, in fact they are all in Dirty Boh, but that's a lager of a different color!).

I've made it with 34/70 and had very nice results. Diamond Lager should also work fine, and I read somewhere that Mangrove Jack M54 is repackaged Lager 497(don't know if that's true).

I would think any good debittered black malt could be used, if you're concerned with it being too "roasty" use less and make up the difference with Midnight Wheat.

Your last question is a tough one, my water profile is "spigot in the old milkhouse we used to hook the hose for rinsing down the bulk tank and milker units" My dad's farm has stupidly good water!!! 123 acres on the back end of a small valley with 6 springs that have not been dry in my memory and another 4-8 that run during wet years. Water table comes up through sedimentary rock, mixture of sandstone and limestone layers. It's been tested several times for contaminants over the years and always came back with none. I know that there was a bit of limestone scale when we replaced some hot water pipes, but God knows how old those pipes were. My Great Grandparents bought the place in the 30s, my Grandmother(Dad's mom) grew up there, and my parents bought it in 1978 a couple years after my Great Grandfather passed on, I was 3. Mom used to give my younger brother and me hell for playing in the "creek"(truth be told it's only about 5-6 inches deep in the low spots and a foot and a half or so wide), funny she doesn't get near as mad at the grandkids.

Oh, almost forgot, apparent attenuation was 79% on the last run, lower than expected, but the falvor was spot on, still a learning curve with 497.

Last edited:
Copied and modified for local ingredients, hops and my preferences. It's not far off Nautical Star in terms of color and "roastiness", it'll also be my first Czech beer with RO water. Could be an interesting brew! I'm thinking of lager time of a month, maybe 6 weeks....

That range should be about perfect.

@Nosybear did you say you imported it with “local” ingredients? I did the same but not sure how correct I am. I used the brands I had.
2ACE3624-64F0-4A4B-86D6-BB3EB697256D.png

I'm using Avangard Pils, Caramunich, as you suggest, Weyermann malts for just about everything else. I have some Patagonia Perla Negra - Chocolate Wheat - that I'll sub in. Looks about right otherwise. I actually have some intentionally undermodified Pilsner malt from Texas I could sub in and do a step-decoction mash schedule. I'm doing Magnum and Saaz for hops, a Czech Pilsner lager yeast. This is probably brew after next, maybe Thanksgiving weekend. I have a Grodziskie queued up this weekend.

Just a suggestion: You have enough Crystal/Caramel malt in there - the wheat is for head retention? If so, you won't need it for this grain bill.

I'm using Avangard Pils, Caramunich, as you suggest, Weyermann malts for just about everything else. I have some Patagonia Perla Negra - Chocolate Wheat - that I'll sub in. Looks about right otherwise. I actually have some intentionally undermodified Pilsner malt from Texas I could sub in and do a step-decoction mash schedule. I'm doing Magnum and Saaz for hops, a Czech Pilsner lager yeast. This is probably brew after next, maybe Thanksgiving weekend. I have a Grodziskie queued up this weekend.

Just a suggestion: You have enough Crystal/Caramel malt in there - the wheat is for head retention? If so, you won't need it for this grain bill.
Jut had the wheat since there was some in the recipe @AHarper posted. Didn’t see the original...

Jut had the wheat since there was some in the recipe @AHarper posted. Didn’t see the original...

Hi Josh, Yes I kept the wheat in as I thought it would be for head retention as Nosybear said and I added the Chocolate malt to increase the SRM to the original value- I couldn't source the Chocolate Wheat Malt from my usual supplier as they had sold out but if I decide to brew this one in the future (like others I have already got future brews planned) I will try again with the supplier. I only did the swap as a substitute for unobtainable grains - just in case others had the same problem.- I am an inveterate tweeker.
I brewed a Brewdog Punk IPA yesterday - it is now in the fermentation fridge - and have another brew planned for Friday / Saturday or whenever the current brew terminates. There is always bottle washing to do until then.

Hi Josh, Yes I kept the wheat in as I thought it would be for head retention as Nosybear said and I added the Chocolate malt to increase the SRM to the original value- I couldn't source the Chocolate Wheat Malt from my usual supplier as they had sold out but if I decide to brew this one in the future (like others I have already got future brews planned) I will try again with the supplier. I only did the swap as a substitute for unobtainable grains - just in case others had the same problem.- I am an inveterate tweeker.
I brewed a Brewdog Punk IPA yesterday - it is now in the fermentation fridge - and have another brew planned for Friday / Saturday or whenever the current brew terminates. There is always bottle washing to do until then.
I did some tweaking, too, like swapping the proportions of Blackprinz and Midnight Wheat - the midnight wheat is milder and more chocolaty, the blackprinz more acrid (to my taste). I also tweaked the hops, swapping Magnum for whatever the original bittering hop was. The wheat is not going to hurt anything, it'll just add some body and cut a bit of flavor.

I’ll remove the wheat I think. I’ll also go Magnum for bittering that way I don’t have to buy anything new

Alright so what the plan/time on this? I’ll insert this into my rotation so it is ready when it needs to be. I like the shake up brewing something else.

For me it's beer after next. I've been wanting to brew something Czech since I got the RO system.

Josh, if wheat is removed then ABV goes down and IBU goes up - only by a very small amount - so it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Yeah brought my OG down from 1.046 to 1.043 and abv down from 5.01 to 4.8. Assuming all numbers are hit. Ibu went up 3-4 on mine. I’ve got wheat so I could go either way. My thoughts is I want to stay close to what you guys are doing.

Last edited:
Would Weyermann® Chocolate Wheat Malt, be the same as Midnight Wheat?

Yeah brought my OG down form 1.046 to 1.043 and abv down from 5.01 to 4.8. Assuming all numbers are hit. Ibu went up 3-4 on mine. I’ve got wheat so I could go either way. My thoughts is I want to stay close to what you guys are doing.
Replace the wheat with base malt and you're back where you started.

Back