Community recipe?

Yes this should have been Old Crafty Hen... my error. I'll need to change the recipe text. Thanks for that.

Greene-King-Old-Crafty-Hen-garrafa-500ml.jpg
Oh! I have never seen or heard of that one before.

I can find a good basic recipe on BYO or in Brewing Classic Styles and we can modify per brewer's wish.

Yes this is why I proposed a brewersfriend brewer of the month quarters tried n tested fav recipes that way cuts out the back n forth.
That way its more so from this forums collective brewing knowledge not from an external source if ya get my drift?:rolleyes:

Yep tie it in with a Zoom meeting that way we could taste test the community beer together and do a bit a go around see what people think.

Theres enough regular members on here that if this is a quarterly thing weve got years worth of recipies:D!

@Bubba Wade loves his belgian beers
Think of the variety of beers us brewers on here brew.
Craigerr with his NEIPA's
Me with my Kviek beers.
Nosey with his Kentucky common
JA with his Belgian/lagers
Bob with his west coasters I think that's herm as well.
Thunderwagon with his he brews everything:)
Steve with his cask style brews over there in the uk as well as Aharper and UKbrewer.
Or Zambezi with her cider and Belgians
Head first and all the rest I havnt mentioned
I'm sure it'll be a pretty interesting recipe rotation.

Just how to figure out an order of things.

I think obviously @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews must have the first take at this.
As hes already suggested this recipe it's up to you bulin if you wanna change it to one of your tried and true shady bohemians or manky Sally's?

Well, Shady Bohemian is probably the best dark I have, the last batch is already half gone. The Kazbek may be hard to get(I keep it on hand), could use Sterling, Saaz or a combination of the two(at the same IBS's) if you guys and gals wanted to have at it.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/851263/shady-bohemian

Lots of people here been brewing much longer than me, if I've got a GREAT one, Shady Boh would be the best bet(not that it's the only good one I have).

Yes this is why I proposed a brewersfriend brewer of the month quarters tried n tested fav recipes that way cuts out the back n forth.
That way its more so from this forums collective brewing knowledge not from an external source if ya get my drift?:rolleyes:
I'm fine with that approach, too.

So what do we wanna do?
Kick start this with bulins Shady boh pils or the ESB not sure who's putting this one forward?

Hey theres no reason to not have two brewers come forward for the (monthly?), (Quarterly) brew session theres another option then for us to choose from?

Reason I think quarterly would work good.
One month the source materials -decide who's the flavour of the month and brew the beer another month for conditioning and tasting and hopefully Zoom meeting as a bit of a recipie discussion and who's putting their hand up for the next quarter...

I'm definitely down with brewing both the ESB Craiger mentioned (but then again Craig this ain't your tried and tested bevvy for us to get a go at)
I'm also down with brewing bulins Shady Bohemian lol:D.
I'll be putting in a brew order this week so Ladys and Gentlemen let's vote;).

I vote (if were going one brewer and tried and tested and because he pretty much got the ball rolling) bulins Shady Bohemian.

So what do we wanna do?
Kick start this with bulins Shady boh pils or the ESB not sure who's putting this one forward?

Hey theres no reason to not have two brewers come forward for the (monthly?), (Quarterly) brew session theres another option then for us to choose from?

Reason I think quarterly would work good.
One month the source materials -decide who's the flavour of the month and brew the beer another month for conditioning and tasting and hopefully Zoom meeting as a bit of a recipie discussion and who's putting their hand up for the next quarter...

I'm definitely down with brewing both the ESB Craiger mentioned (but then again Craig this ain't your tried and tested bevvy for us to get a go at)
I'm also down with brewing bulins Shady Bohemian lol:D.
I'll be putting in a brew order this week so Ladys and Gentlemen let's vote;).

I vote (if were going one brewer and tried and tested and because he pretty much got the ball rolling) bulins Shady Bohemian.
A very good point Ben, no, not my recipe, nor have I brewed it. EsB is just on my to do list. I would vote to go with Bulins brew. Maybe it is about bloody time I tried a lager! I have 4 batches either in secondary waiting to bottle, or fermenting, so I wouldn't be brewing again for another 2-3 weeks.

A very good point Ben, no, not my recipe, nor have I brewed it. EsB is just on my to do list. I would vote to go with Bulins brew. Maybe it is about bloody time I tried a lager! I have 4 batches either in secondary waiting to bottle, or fermenting, so I wouldn't be brewing again for another 2-3 weeks.
Beauty!
Yep that's why I thought quarterly to start with that way it doesnt get in the road of your brewing rotation but you can plan for it down the track.;)

So have we come to a decision to brew Shady Bohemian? If so I'm good with that.

I'm in order is going in today;).

Now @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews if you dont mind filling us in on the beer of yours.

What is it you love some much about it?

How many times you brewed it?

What changes have you made to it to get you where it is today?

I'm guessing we can use Sazz in substitution to kazbek hops if we can't source them?

Any different yeast you use to brew this up?
I'm sure you used S05 before...?

I'm not sure I'll get my hands on black prince over hear but maybe midnight wheat might be a good substitute if that's hard to come by?

Any brewing tweeks water profile you like?
Cheers;)

I don't have access to the US malts so downsized and swapped them out for a near UK equivalent.

If you are in the UK then this may help you brew the beast.

I kept very close to the original OG, FG, IBU and SRM values - within a gnats todger anyway - and almost to the same balance of the bill values. I couldn't get Chocolate Wheat malt so I did a mix of wheat and chocolate malts (I'm hoping the balance of flavours and mouth feel works out as a result - if anyone else knows a better way to do it then let me know and I will tweek again).

I didn't change the Hops as they have their specific flavours but if I can't source them I will substitute a near version.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1078820/shady-bohemian-2

If anyone has any suggestions to modify it then let me know.

Copied and modified for local ingredients, hops and my preferences. It's not far off Nautical Star in terms of color and "roastiness", it'll also be my first Czech beer with RO water. Could be an interesting brew! I'm thinking of lager time of a month, maybe 6 weeks....

Copied and modified for local ingredients, hops and my preferences. It's not far off Nautical Star in terms of color and "roastiness", it'll also be my first Czech beer with RO water. Could be an interesting brew! I'm thinking of lager time of a month, maybe 6 weeks....
@Nosybear for us bottle guys 50/50 bottle conditioning/lager in the fridge?

@Nosybear for us bottle guys 50/50 bottle conditioning/lager in the fridge?
How about I bottle condition maybe 6? I can do it with sugar cubes if I use 16-ounce bottles. That would be a departure from my normal procedure: I have generally lagered, then bottled. I'd be bottling, then lagering this way.

How about I bottle condition maybe 6? I can do it with sugar cubes if I use 16-ounce bottles. That would be a departure from my normal procedure: I have generally lagered, then bottled. I'd be bottling, then lagering this way.
how long in bottle before fridge?

how long in bottle before fridge?
I'd just stick them in the fridge and let them lager with the other beer. They'll carb, eventually, stored cold, the process just takes longer.

I'd just stick them in the fridge and let them lager with the other beer. They'll carb, eventually, stored cold, the process just takes longer.
Cool never tried that way.

Back