Brut IPA for Keto Diet

Discussion in 'Beginners Brewing Forum' started by Brewer #248031, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Brewer #248031

Brewer #248031 New Member

Anyone have an idea of how to make a low carb (< 5g/12oz) Brut IPA, or any IPA for that matter. I lost 45 lbs on a keto diet, the only diet that really works for me. I've started to put back on some weight, am I'm sure it's because I like IPA's. I know I can brew session IPAs that are low carb, but they don't have any oomph.

I read an article about the use amyloglucosidase to ferment any remaining sugars after primary fermentation, resulting in near 0 Plato IPAs . Ommegang has a Brut IPA that clocks in at 6.3% and 3.9 grams of carbs per 12 oz.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Mark Farrall

Mark Farrall Well-Known Member

Always seems weird to me that keto diets are up and down on alcohol. It's one of those things the body loves to metabolise, so it's got to be matabolised in preference to ketones. I suppose if it's just in the liver it doesn't really bump the ketosis in the rest of the body.

Have you tried a few Brut IPAs? I don't really see them as a substitute for a traditional west coast IPA, more a variation that can be nice. To me they're more like a hoppier, drier, paler, pale ale. To really cut down the carbs you need to use pretty pale grains as any of the crystal/caramel type malts will have carbs that the enzyme won't be able to convert.

Anyway, back to the question...

There's a few threads on brut ipas in the recipes part of the forum, they all make sense to me. So for the recipe I'd start there.

For the process there's really only one main difference (or two if you count mashing lower and longer). When to add your extra enzyme.

If you add it during the mash you've got complete control, the boil will kill it. The risk with this approach is if you don't get your dosage right it may not convert everything, leaving you with more carbs than you hoped.

Or you can add it during fermentation. That way it will keep going while there's more complex sugars to convert. The downside there is that you can't stop it if it goes too far.

So if you're more worried about having carbs in the beer rather than having too dry a beer, fermentation is probably the place to use it.

3. 4Bentley

4Bentley Member

I can't speak for the carbs because I don't measure them. I generally do, though, limit my intake to one pint a day. For the Brut IPA I add the enzyme in the fermenter at the same time I pitch the yeast. It definitely dries things out. The FG is generally .997 or .998. My guess is that the carbs are lower because they use less grain and increase the alcohol using the enzyme. I'm not sure how you would maintain the full flavor and alcohol of an IPA and get to low carbs. Good Luck.

4. J A

J A Well-Known Member

Calories is calories. Alcohol burns first, sugars second, complex carbs next and then, in the continued absence of these preferred energy sources, ketones generated through conversion of fat.
    Brut IPA may be a nice thing to brew and could be a good compromise but if you're regularly drinking anything other than fairly small quantities of super low-carb, low-alcohol beer-water, you're going to have trouble. If it's possible, maybe just a lot less of a decent beer would do for you.