Brut IPA for Keto Diet

Aaah, now we see URLs, which is the goal.

I think when you're on a diet, you don't need to drink beer. For example, since I'm a diabetic and sometimes I'm on a diet, I constantly refuse beer for this period of time. Or when I take medication so as not to get a certain reaction.

I think when you're on a diet, you don't need to drink beer. For example, since I'm a diabetic and sometimes I'm on a diet, I constantly refuse beer for this period of time. Or when I take medication so as not to get a certain reaction.
Welcome Kenny.

Alcohol has strange effects on blood sugar, not very intuitive. One can have beer and manage glucose spikes.

In general, all diets and alcohol are incompatible. And you don't need them =)

The diets, or the alcohol? Let's get our priorities straight here! :p

A few years ago the results of my physical came back with A1C numbers just into "pre-diabetes," about 5.8, IIRC. I decided I didn't want to get the 'beetus and over the next several months managed to drop about 45 lbs, through exercise and portion-control (didn't change the nature of what I ate, just the quantity). Instead of eating 4 slices of pizza, I ate 2, and so on. I also eliminated the "boredom snacking," which was a lot of what pushed my weight up in the past--several years of eating crap at my desk job. The strange thing was that during my diet/exercise regimen my modest drinking went on as before and it didn't seem to affect my weight loss. I do understand that alcohol is metabolized first, so perhaps that burned off right away.

I guess my point is moderation with everything--at least it worked for me. I have 2 drinks, tops, per day, and don't drink every day. Maybe 10 per week, which my Dr. still says is too much. ;)

The diets, or the alcohol? Let's get our priorities straight here! :p

A few years ago the results of my physical came back with A1C numbers just into "pre-diabetes," about 5.8, IIRC. I decided I didn't want to get the 'beetus and over the next several months managed to drop about 45 lbs, through exercise and portion-control (didn't change the nature of what I ate, just the quantity). Instead of eating 4 slices of pizza, I ate 2, and so on. I also eliminated the "boredom snacking," which was a lot of what pushed my weight up in the past--several years of eating crap at my desk job. The strange thing was that during my diet/exercise regimen my modest drinking went on as before and it didn't seem to affect my weight loss. I do understand that alcohol is metabolized first, so perhaps that burned off right away.

I guess my point is moderation with everything--at least it worked for me. I have 2 drinks, tops, per day, and don't drink every day. Maybe 10 per week, which my Dr. still says is too much. ;)
When I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, I did a lot of reading on alcohol, even wrote an article for Zymurgy on it. Here's the truth about it: Alcohol is digested as a fat and as such, should not be a problem for a keto diet. The problem for the keto dieters is the carbs in the beer, mostly short-chain starches. My doc doesn't mind my beer or two a day, as long as I keep the carbs down.

When I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, I did a lot of reading on alcohol, even wrote an article for Zymurgy on it. Here's the truth about it: Alcohol is digested as a fat and as such, should not be a problem for a keto diet. The problem for the keto dieters is the carbs in the beer, mostly short-chain starches. My doc doesn't mind my beer or two a day, as long as I keep the carbs down.
+1 on this. The starches are the bugaboo, but everything in moderation, and maybe a shot of whiskey, it ends up ok.

In general, before prescribing a keto diet, you need to carry out genetic analysis to select the optimal nutrients and vitamins for healing the body!

Well, this thread is about dieting, so...

And back to the original post...

I just used Omega's dried Lutra for the first time and it is a beast. It ate up a 1.048 single-malt wheat brew down to 1.012 in 24 hours at 90℉, and kept going after chilling down to at least 1.005 at 38℉! It might have gone drier, but I needed to rack the beer for a festival.

If you want to fully ferment out, consider giving Lutra a go. (isolated from Hornindal if I understand correctly)

Another option might be to vape off the alcohol after fermentation. Of course, this gets you a near-n/a beer, and some folks eschew the idea, but some say it works depending on the style. (rack the beer to a kettle, raise to 170–180 ℉ to vaporize the alcohol by volume reduction, re-chill, keg & force carb, etc.)

Finally, consider alternative malts. 6-Row is grainy and might sub good flavor that would be missing otherwise. Also distiller's malts should get you bang for the buck with respect to fermentability, though of course at the expense of flavor. But since the goal is a Brut IPA, that might be fine as it is the hops that are supposed to bring the goods.

Im on my 7th brew in the brewzilla 65L and using Alpha Amylase to get down to around .998 I loose 80% of the great malt
taste thats there from the brew day, Im type 2 would like a >3grs per 333ml carbs beer,
I think the commercial guys may use a malt flavor additive to boost they taste from such a pale light looking lager that should not
have a strong malt taste to begin with.....I was told to try Gum Arabic which is meant to be a thickening agent for simulating the texture and mouthfeel of actual sugar, and sugar is taste....... I only used 50grs in 55L so maybe not enough but i was alittle shy to try more....Brett

Attachments

• Ale Malt No7.jpg
    Ale Malt No7.jpg
    559.8 KB · Views: 20
Im on my 7th brew in the brewzilla 65L and using Alpha Amylase to get down to around .998 I loose 80% of the great malt
taste thats there from the brew day, Im type 2 would like a >3grs per 333ml carbs beer,
I think the commercial guys may use a malt flavor additive to boost they taste from such a pale light looking lager that should not
have a strong malt taste to begin with.....I was told to try Gum Arabic which is meant to be a thickening agent for simulating the texture and mouthfeel of actual sugar, and sugar is taste....... I only used 50grs in 55L so maybe not enough but i was alittle shy to try more....Brett
That looks very nice.

You might try adding a little more of the gum arabic to a single glass, see what happens. Thickness or viscosity probably won't bring it back to where you want it though, but worth a try.

Low carb is difficult, since the carbs are the sugars, which carry the flavor. I'm interested in hearing how it all works out.

Yeah I'll be keeping it in the mash not fermenter my one off try in the fermenter man it did what I expected took everything out of the beer and made alcohol. Could imagine distillers would love this enzyme!
Maybe backsweetening with some wort might help or something but that's too much of a PITA.

If you could pause the enzyme that would be perfect you know say you want an FG of 1.006 if you could add something to the keg to kill it then that's perfect.

@ Donoroto I tried adding small amounts of gum to a glass but because it was cold didnt mix well and the
hops still seemed to over power the taste from thickening the beer.

@ GFHomebrew I was looking at my brewing notes and a couple of beers i made where i forgot the enzyme but finished down to 1.003
had nearly twice the malt flavour. maybe i need to add next to no hops ?

I did another Brew (No.8) and used 10 grs hops for 15 minutes in a 55L batch cutting back the IBU by about a third,
The beer finished at .997 and before I added the gelatin it was the best Malt/hop balance yet......
When it cleared out it lost the malt side and tastes like alcohol with hops as GFHomebrew above found out......
So frustrating......But learning at the same time.....I should do smaller batchs haha......or just leave it cloudly and call it a Hazy Grrrrrrr.....

Attachments

• Brew 8 Beer.jpg
    Brew 8 Beer.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 997.jpg
    997.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 6
Yup I did a batch recently with Amyloglucosidase or gluco Amylase in the mash. I mashed all they way up through the saccrification range then let the mash cool back into the Amyloglucosidase temp range added 5ml waited 3 hours then sparge boiled ect ect.

Well that one didn't finish soo low 1.003 I've only taken a kegmenter sample so far but um getting that Same thin mouthfeel.

You could try maltodextrin but that's reverse engineering the beer lol!

Back