Brut IPA for Keto Diet

Brewer #248031

Trial Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea of how to make a low carb (< 5g/12oz) Brut IPA, or any IPA for that matter. I lost 45 lbs on a keto diet, the only diet that really works for me. I've started to put back on some weight, am I'm sure it's because I like IPA's. I know I can brew session IPAs that are low carb, but they don't have any oomph.

I read an article about the use amyloglucosidase to ferment any remaining sugars after primary fermentation, resulting in near 0 Plato IPAs . Ommegang has a Brut IPA that clocks in at 6.3% and 3.9 grams of carbs per 12 oz.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Always seems weird to me that keto diets are up and down on alcohol. It's one of those things the body loves to metabolise, so it's got to be matabolised in preference to ketones. I suppose if it's just in the liver it doesn't really bump the ketosis in the rest of the body.

Have you tried a few Brut IPAs? I don't really see them as a substitute for a traditional west coast IPA, more a variation that can be nice. To me they're more like a hoppier, drier, paler, pale ale. To really cut down the carbs you need to use pretty pale grains as any of the crystal/caramel type malts will have carbs that the enzyme won't be able to convert.

Anyway, back to the question...

There's a few threads on brut ipas in the recipes part of the forum, they all make sense to me. So for the recipe I'd start there.

For the process there's really only one main difference (or two if you count mashing lower and longer). When to add your extra enzyme.

If you add it during the mash you've got complete control, the boil will kill it. The risk with this approach is if you don't get your dosage right it may not convert everything, leaving you with more carbs than you hoped.

Or you can add it during fermentation. That way it will keep going while there's more complex sugars to convert. The downside there is that you can't stop it if it goes too far.

So if you're more worried about having carbs in the beer rather than having too dry a beer, fermentation is probably the place to use it.

I can't speak for the carbs because I don't measure them. I generally do, though, limit my intake to one pint a day. For the Brut IPA I add the enzyme in the fermenter at the same time I pitch the yeast. It definitely dries things out. The FG is generally .997 or .998. My guess is that the carbs are lower because they use less grain and increase the alcohol using the enzyme. I'm not sure how you would maintain the full flavor and alcohol of an IPA and get to low carbs. Good Luck.

I lost 45 lbs on a keto diet, the only diet that really works for me. I've started to put back on some weight, am I'm sure it's because I like IPA's.
Calories is calories. Alcohol burns first, sugars second, complex carbs next and then, in the continued absence of these preferred energy sources, ketones generated through conversion of fat.
Brut IPA may be a nice thing to brew and could be a good compromise but if you're regularly drinking anything other than fairly small quantities of super low-carb, low-alcohol beer-water, you're going to have trouble. If it's possible, maybe just a lot less of a decent beer would do for you.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and feedback.

J A, I know calories are calories, and how they are stored and used is a much more complex process. 200 calories of fat are not metabolized the same way as 200 calories of carbohydrates.

It’s not just calories in calories out, it’s also about metabolic conversion. Alcohol burns first and fast. The liver doesn’t like alcohol, so it metabolizes first and is not converted to glycogen. Complex carbs are converted to glycogen, and therefor stored as energy. This is readily available and easily converted to energy. Hi glycogen counts create sugar spikes leading to binge eating, etc. By reducing carbs, there are less glycogen stores and the body moves into ketogenesis more easily.

Ketogenesis is a much slower metabolic process in terms of energy conversion. That is why high fat, low carb diets are good at providing a steady stream of energy, and reducing hunger spikes. Also, glycogen requires water to store in the body, producing excess body weigh and a strain on the cardiovascular system.

Hey, I’m not a doctor, and I know what works for me. When I went on my Keto Diet, I only drank vodka and soda, with a twist or a lime. Boring, and I still lost weight. I may be wrong in thinking a low carb, higher alcohol beer will help me get back on track with my diet. It’s worth a try. I’m going to check the recipes and find the one with the lowest final gravity.

I also know that there are way to many variables to definitely say low carb beer saved the world! Developing a controlled study would be the only way, and I’m not willing to be my own guinea pig.

When I stop drinking for an extended period of time my weight drops readily on it's own, so I don't worry about any of this other stuff.

Hey, I’m not a doctor, and I know what works for me. When I went on my Keto Diet, I only drank vodka and soda, with a twist or a lime. Boring, and I still lost weight. I may be wrong in thinking a low carb, higher alcohol beer will help me get back on track with my diet. It’s worth a try. I’m going to check the recipes and find the one with the lowest final gravity.
Not disagreeing. ;) I've been through the same process. For me it was a couple of ounces of red wine in a spritzer. Worked great.
Yes, watery, low-carb beer is the best option if you're going to drink beer and it'll be much better if you can come up with something that's more satisfying than Mich Ultra or similar...shouldn't be too difficult. :D
You'll find a good balance. Best of luck with it.

I have my recipe ready to go. I'm only doing 2.5 gallons in case it's yucky. I'm going to put the enzyme in when I pitch the yeast. Calculations indicate 6.5 carbs per 12 oz. Not great, and much better than the 16-18 carbs in my normal IPA. Projected to land at around 6.8% ABV and 48 IBUs. Targeting at or < 1.0 FG.

I have my recipe ready to go. I'm only doing 2.5 gallons in case it's yucky. I'm going to put the enzyme in when I pitch the yeast. Calculations indicate 6.5 carbs per 12 oz. Not great, and much better than the 16-18 carbs in my normal IPA. Projected to land at around 6.8% ABV and 48 IBUs. Targeting at or < 1.0 FG.
So, how did the beer turn out? Would you mind aharing the recipe? Cheers!

It's a radical overhaul of dieting that's had some pretty impressive results for people suffering from acne, heart disease, and obesity. Going keto requires cutting out carbs — basically all grains, potatoes, rice, and veggies — which can be a pretty radical change for most people. The good news is that it can be easy to follow a keto diet if you're careful about what you're putting into your body.

I have your solution. For real. As a diabetic I too am on Keto. Throw in a beano tablet ..1 for every gallon of wort. The Beano will convert the non fermentable sugars left in the beer and allow the yeast to eat it up. You will end up with a dryer beer and it should end up near zero gravity. This will reduce the number of carbs...but as I said it will also make it more dry and less sweet. Just to clarify - throw the beano into the fermenter NOT during the boil or mash.

I have your solution. For real. As a diabetic I too am on Keto. Throw in a beano tablet ..1 for every gallon of wort. The Beano will convert the non fermentable sugars left in the beer and allow the yeast to eat it up. You will end up with a dryer beer and it should end up near zero gravity. This will reduce the number of carbs...but as I said it will also make it more dry and less sweet. Just to clarify - throw the beano into the fermenter NOT during the boil or mash.
Huh. Never heard of that, but it makes sense. I'll try it!

Similar (or maybe the same) stuff as the White Labs Ultra Ferm. I wonder how well it works on the more complex maltose or maltotriose sugars. So if you didn't manage to break those down in the original mash you may still have some sugars the Beano can't convert.

But you can get various enzyme products, like amylases, for those more complex sugars as well. Generally I see them targeted at distillers, but they'll work in beer as well.

At the risk of opening an old thread...

This has been a quest - low carb beers that taste good. I’ve been applying the same method to several styles - Czech lager, kölsch, a dunkel and a couple IPAs including most recently a fresh hop. So far, so good: carbs in the 4-7g/12oz and everyone loves my home brew. I undershoot the OG a bit and add Diazyme (aggressive amyloglucosidase) at 140 deg F while chilling. FGs have been 0.998-1.002. I’ve been back-sweetening with liquid monk fruit sweetener. I set up a sweetening trial before kegging, but usually between 5-9 ml per 5 gal. I don’t like beers with high perceived sweetness, and this level just gives the right mouth feel, imho.

Cheers

Hi! Do you think keto diets are effective? I have been trying to lose weight with their help for a long time, but I could not do it.
I'be been on a Keto diet ... ok well lets call it low carb not Keto for a long time due to my diabetes. I limit sugar, and I limit meals to 25 carbs or less. I also have to count calories and I use the myfitnesspal app. But yes it has worked to lose weight when nothing else worked for me.

Perhaps a human but spam for sure.I always wonder to what end though.

danger Will Robinson...

Back