Brewing with Ceoliac Disease

Had some really good feedback on my rice lager beer yesterday drinking with father in law.
He doesn't really drink anymore abd usually likes the light lager stuff.

Well he had two meaning he went back for seconds

He said its really good and he couldn't tell it was just lite and easy to drink.

So pretty chuffed with that!

I was pretty apprehensive when I gave it too him but he really liked it so that's given me some confidence that I'm on the right track:)

Had some really good feedback on my rice lager beer yesterday drinking with father in law.
He doesn't really drink anymore abd usually likes the light lager stuff.

Well he had two meaning he went back for seconds

He said its really good and he couldn't tell it was just lite and easy to drink.

So pretty chuffed with that!

I was pretty apprehensive when I gave it too him but he really liked it so that's given me some confidence that I'm on the right track:)
Good on you, Ben. Your dedication to craft beer is admirable.
Keep up the good, hard work!

Brilliant. It's a tricky business that because people are not really thinking 'it's good/bad for a GF beer', they're thinking 'that's a good/bad beer', the GF bit is the brewer's problem. The art of it, I would think, is making a good beer that happens to be gluten free.

Good on you buddy :)

Brilliant. It's a tricky business that because people are not really thinking 'it's good/bad for a GF beer', they're thinking 'that's a good/bad beer', the GF bit is the brewer's problem. The art of it, I would think, is making a good beer that happens to be gluten free.

Good on you buddy :)
Yeah sure is.

I said oh you can taste it's not a barley base but he couldn't.
Its definitely in the back of my mind and I'm looking for it when I'm drinking.

Now I think of it most people wouldn't really even consider what seed the beer came from as long as it tastes good:).

Drying off my latest batch of malt day 3 and I think she's ready for some kilning:)
20230527_124416.jpg

Starting to get good at this or comfortable with the process.

Oh them orange peals are for the Q2 brew

20230615_190139.jpg

Finished off some pale rice malt.
It's in the middle my Base Rice is on left and Brown Buckwheat on the right for colour comparison.

Gunna brew this https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1391054/gf-brown
Next with the pale malt and Buckwheat and all of that roasted Rice malt I made awhile back.

It's a big guess on colour contribution so a brown ale is a safe bet I rekon:)

All done drying what seems like my 10th maltings of the year or probably more
20230630_151534.jpg

Transferring to this blue tub where it'll live until it gets kilned tomorrow.

Oh I've found I don't need no assistance from fans and such yes on the first day a bit of condensation builds up on the back of the glass but after this excess moisture is evaporated off it dries within a few days.

a fan just = mechanical processes that can break down.
rellying on the power of the sun to create convection within the hydrator is as free as well sunshine :)

I think this malt is called wind malt
It could be Chit malt but I think that's slightly different.

Anyhow I've come to really enjoy the malting/kilning process it's given me a deeper appreciation for the Homebrewing Hobby!

All done drying what seems like my 10th maltings of the year or probably more View attachment 25831
Transferring to this blue tub where it'll live until it gets kilned tomorrow.

Oh I've found I don't need no assistance from fans and such yes on the first day a bit of condensation builds up on the back of the glass but after this excess moisture is evaporated off it dries within a few days.

a fan just = mechanical processes that can break down.
rellying on the power of the sun to create convection within the hydrator is as free as well sunshine :)

I think this malt is called wind malt
It could be Chit malt but I think that's slightly different.

Anyhow I've come to really enjoy the malting/kilning process it's given me a deeper appreciation for the Homebrewing Hobby!
Good thing you live in the Sunshine Coast and not the rainy fog coast, eh?

Got me a bloody bargain at the shops yesterday View attachment 26016
Ended up grabbing two bags :)
Was initally going to bitch about food prices being worse than Publix until I realized that was for 10 1/2 pounds.
I would be seriously tempted to put a little of that aside for a somewhat healthier addition to Gumbo.

Last edited:
Was initally going to bitch about food prices being worse than Publix until I realized that was for 10 1/2 pounds.
I would be seriously tempted to put a little of that aside for a somewhat healthier addition to Gumbo.
I'm down with that:)
20230715_122258.jpg

Brew day lunch ;)
Tumeric rice with veg and pork ribs yum!

I'm down with that:)View attachment 26018
Brew day lunch ;)
Tumeric rice with veg and pork ribs yum!
Looks good. When we start thinking about rice, it is either Thai or a Cajun dish. BBQ (pork ribs) we would think as served with sides like collards, mac n cheese, black eyed peas, or fried okra. Y'all seem to have a cool Asian mix in your recipes.

Looks good. When we start thinking about rice, it is either Thai or a Cajun dish. BBQ (pork ribs) we would think as served with sides like collards, mac n cheese, black eyed peas, or fried okra. Y'all seem to have a cool Asian mix in your recipes.
About to get this little baby on trying some kafir lime just stuck on :confused:.

It'll be good no matter what
20230715_125914.jpg

That other meal didn't fill me up ...

Got a big brew day on ATM gotta feed the worms man!

Finished article
20230715_132620.jpg

That'll do me

Last edited:
Well that rice is malted this is day two in the Dehydrator
20230722_073135.jpg

Starting my next batch in a week this will be drying
20230722_085548.jpg

This will soak till this arvo
Then I'll drain let air dry for an hour or two and fill it back up and let steep till tomorrow morning where it will start germination process

Get a soak then once a 24 hr period until acrospires 3/4 length of rice Berry.

Last edited:
I can't believe I've come so far so quick brewing this beer lately
20230722_174842.jpg

The head on this beer rivals any beer I brewed with malted barley!
From this first beer back in Jan
https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/brewing-with-ceoliac-disease.16100/page-9#post-176565

To brewing brilliant rice lager like this
20230712_173100.jpg

I'm really proud of what I've been able to achieve malting my own grains and brewing with These enzymes to make good beer just 6 months onwards.

I'm really enjoying the beers I've brewed lately they taste to me just like my old stuff if not better in that they seem to just go down super easy (probably got something to do with the gluten in my old stuff):p.
Man no kidding I'd have a session of three beers back last year and I'd pay for it all night!

Just thought I'd add a post in here and blow my own trumpet so to speak but more so to encourage anyone viewing this thread that's a Coeliac that yes you definitely can brew your own gluten free beer and it won't cost you the world!:)

The malting process is just like all grain brewing in a way at first there's so many steps involved with steeping and drying and aerating ect but once you've malted a few batches it really becomes another fascinating process where you watch the grains slowly change and sprout from day to day smelling chewing running your hands through the grain I'm so glad I'm malting my grains
. It's actually very enjoyable and sorta like brew day mashing in walk away for an hour come back do something Sparge set kettle for boil walk away.
Its a process that needs a little attention every now and then for a couple of days:)

Just ask me if your unsure and I'm more than willing to help in some way.

Cheers

Last edited:

Back