Brewing with Ceoliac Disease

Early sample of the rice lager
20230428_160218.jpg

It's definitely promising

Right colour for lager tick.
It's a tad sweet crap attenuation.
But Ironically It's got a crispness to it on the finish.
Head and haze will improve this is first pour here.

I've got some ideas on improving the attenuation by trying some clear invert candy sugar.

Anyhow cheers!

Kilning the rice ATM as well
20230428_154903.jpg

3.5 kg of finished malt from 4kg of grain
So I lost 500g in losses and moisture.
Oh found another work around In removing dried acrospires.
I transfer into some large storage tubs and shake the grain then pour from container to container.

What happens is the acrospires stick to the plastic tub through static electricity created through the friction. Then when you pour the grains into the next tup the acrospires are left clinging to the stub.

i noticed this when milling my rice it stuck to the edge of the mill bucket so unlike barley which never did this.
interesting eh?

20230429_080028.jpg

Now it seems crazy after all that I'm soaking 1kg of malted rice:eek:.
20230429_080203.jpg

Soaking some in some high temp stable Alpha Amylase 2ml in 1lt of water with some citric acid to lower the PH a bit for the enzymes.

So hopefully the grains will soak in this enzyme rich liquid over the course of the day then this evening I can put this in my oven and start the mash at 75c to 86c to convert the starch for 2 hours then kiln it 150c ish to make Some Crystal malt!

I'll keep ya posted peeps
I'm excited in this experiment :)!!

Finished that "crystal malt" 150c 90mins

20230430_114154.jpg

I'm not sure I made crystal malt it doesn't taste that caramel sweet to me anyhow.

That wire didn't melt so that's great I'll be able to use this as a better indication of actual oven temp.
I'll wire it in permanently with its own on off switch.

Don't you need steam to make it crystal?
Well I'm not sure crystal I made in the past I mashed soaked grain then hit it in the oven.

I soaked this rice in enzyme so it would absorb it then threw it in the oven around 70-80c for 2 hours to convert the starches then kilned 150c I think 90 mins.

Well yesterday's falling mash schedule Did Not Go to Plan.

It was a Royal Pain In The Arse the whole way through

I think i clocked on 11:30am and clocked off 7:30 pm easily my longest brew day Ever:(.

I was off doing other things whilst the mash was falling but just that constant attention over that 8 hour period wore me down especially when I saw I wasn't getting the extraction I was expecting.

So I heated the kettle to boiling
Milled the grains and doed into boiling water ( felt wrong lol) then wrestled with the mash and praying to God I don't burn my element out as I watched the mash turn into a thick porridge a sticky viscous porridge that was gurgling and bubbling ferociously as the element kicked on and off to achieve a boil.
20230506_132140.jpg

I did this for 15 minutes and then set the inkbird pid controller to 86 and let the temperature fall.

I added 10ml of Deltazyme high temp enzyme at below 90c and as expected the mash got more viscous and the spoon actually could stir it more easily without ripping my arm off!
20230506_135156.jpg

Form here I let it fall to 74c then on down to 63c where I was to add the 10ml ondea Pro Enzyme blend proteases Pullulanase Xylanase Glucanase all them starch converting liquefaction goodies that would normally begin the whole saccrification/starch conversion process but this required some quicker cooling I was getting impatient waiting for things to cool. 25 lt of hot mash liquor takes its royal time to hit 63 lol
20230506_145155.jpg

Yeah so I mashed some ice bricks:rolleyes:
Wierd yup that's me!:p.

Anyhow I measured a bit over 4 brix :eek: 1.017 ish WTF at this stage things wernt lautering so good it's weird as the mash cooled the lautering efficiency dropped off the cliff and the biab bag literally just filled with my recirculation liquor. It wasn't letting any liquid through. I threw in more rice hulls lifted the bag out and sloshed it around but it would just build back up aging.
This is when I knew I've screwed up here and somehow I gotta nurse this mash back to sparge oh how am I going to sparge :eek:.

I ended up heating this mash back to 74 c and adding 5ml more of Deltazyme thinking oh maybe I've denatured it way up in the high 80's even though it's good all the way into the boil.

This didn't help long story short well not so short i lifted the bag out and had dinner while it drained into the kettle.

No more to say no more photos I was a little upset about the whole thing

I got 5 brix pre boil 1.020 so i added 1kg cane sugar I didn't take a post boil reading I just walked away lol will go and take a peep this morning.

I will never be doing a falling mash schedule AGAIN!:p

Its not for me :)

Deltazyme proteases Pullulanase Xylanase Glucanase
That's a lot of new, complicated words. You brewing or making rice soup there?

My condolences Ben. Nobody likes to see so much work and effort with such low results. But I bet you learned something! Education is never really free...

That's a lot of new, complicated words. You brewing or making rice soup there?

My condolences Ben. Nobody likes to see so much work and effort with such low results. But I bet you learned something! Education is never really free...
It was a painful tiring experience one I'll never forget.
My kinda learning though it helps when it is painfully ingrained in your memory :).

Edit as per my other post I ballsed it up and read my refractometer wrong so not as pad extraction as I thought.

But considering all that faffing around I'll do a raising mash in future.

Last edited:
@Trialben I am guessing that by Falling and Raising, you are referring to temperature. Falling is only practical since you are adding the enzymes, yes? That is, falling would be kinda difficult with barley, say.

@Trialben I am guessing that by Falling and Raising, you are referring to temperature. Falling is only practical since you are adding the enzymes, yes? That is, falling would be kinda difficult with barley, say.
Yeah it's because gluten free grains like all of them especially Rice have very high geletanisation temperatures.

So the theory is because the gluten free grains are low to begin with of naturally endogenous enzymes hence the use of exogenous enzymes for starch conversion why not boil the grains or mash in high near boiling to geletanise the grains first then let the mash fall through the enzyme mash target additions.

Think of it this way: how can the Amylase enzymes begin to convert the starches if they haven't first be gelatinised or liquefied or become accessible.

There is cerimex Flex a starch degrading enzyme that pretty much gelatinises the grain at lower temperatures available to GF brewers this is added along with Ondea Pro to do most of the heavy lifting /geletanisation before the temperature is raised to start the saccrification.

Barley is a wonderful brewing grain who's geletanisation perfectly falls within the saccrification range 60-70c so no need for any boiling BUT : back in the day before barley was bread and selected for brewing brewers would perform decoction mashes to aid in starch conversion boiling the grian in portions to achieve mash steps.
This is partly because barley grain wasn't as modified as it is today.

This is how gluten free grains are less modified and need extra steps involved in starch conversion.

I've herd of one dude in America who has started selecting Sorghum grain for its brewing traits so in the gluten free world selecting and breeding rice/Sorghum /millet for its brewing applications has only just begun.:)

Well drying day or evening I should day has come the acrospires are the length 3/4 and some half way so it's at different stages of germination here.
20230511_151013.jpg

5kg maxed the little bucket this is the limit not much room for airation when I role it around.

Modifications are done to the solar malt dryer
20230511_163105.jpg

Vents front and back and on the bottom left and right this should draw the moisture out through them vents and hopefully sort the condensation I had last time! Fingers crossed in theory it should work it had nowhere to go last time...:rolleyes:

Oh there is flyscreen in them holes to stop ferm flys and such entering in and Fing up my malt :)
20230511_163415.jpg

In position out by the pool let's hops this grain can turn into what's on top

Oh ain't she beautiful ladies and gents!

Attachments

• 20230511_163109.jpg
    20230511_163109.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 30
Yup still a bit of condensation built up on the back of the glass when I got home but that malt is definitely feeling dryer .
20230512_160844.jpg

I'm gunna run this again tomorrow and think about sticking a fan in underneath to really push things along.

OK fans in
20230513_083348.jpg

Testing if the airs flowing
20230513_084209.jpg

Daughter rekons this box needs more air flow lol
20230513_084227.jpg

Out In the rain ready for a day's drying:confused:.
20230513_085058.jpg

Just Chucked some foam tape along the front and used a clamp to seal it some flys were In side should be good now.
Malt is feeling heaps dryer it's Working!
20230513_114143.jpg

Last edited:
Well it's all dry to the touch not enough that the acrospires break off
20230514_124523.jpg
but it's Sunday here and I gotta go to work tomorrow so into the oven it all went to finish off the final step of the malting process
20230514_125414.jpg

5kg in there i rekon if I get some flat trays I could fit more.

Soaking some buckwheat 2kg
20230514_125457.jpg

Thanks to @Minbari and @Megary posts on making brown malt I thought I'd turn some of that rice into some roasted malt.

20230514_162517.jpg

Some of the rice kernels actually burst open like corn but not as dramatic check it out
20230514_163156.jpg

Ended up looking like quite a dark roast
20230514_164456.jpg

Hoping to brew something dark soon so will leave this in a paper bag.

Tasted similar to roasted barley would that toasty char like flavour but the kernel is still fairly light in the middle so looking forward to getting a taste

Removed acrospires and packaged and weighed my new BW Brown malt
20230521_122637.jpg

Well it's a mixed bag but will see what colour extraction I get on brew day.
I put it in as 90L.

To the smell it's like biscuity roasty and maybe some chocolate aromas if but faint
It definitely smells right :)

Oh here it is next to some base malt for comparison
20230521_123422.jpg

Back