Brewing with Ceoliac Disease

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Ben, not to make your head swell, but never in a million years have I seen someone as inventive and fearless as you. I mean, malting your own grains? Brewing not just beer, but Beer that's gluten-free AND tastes great? Now with an enviable head?

Wow. Just, wow.

I can't believe I've come so far so quick brewing this beer lately
View attachment 26090
The head on this beer rivals any beer I brewed with malted barley!
From this first beer back in Jan
https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/brewing-with-ceoliac-disease.16100/page-9#post-176565

To brewing brilliant rice lager like this View attachment 26091
I'm really proud of what I've been able to achieve malting my own grains and brewing with These enzymes to make good beer just 6 months onwards.

I'm really enjoying the beers I've brewed lately they taste to me just like my old stuff if not better in that they seem to just go down super easy (probably got something to do with the gluten in my old stuff):p.
Man no kidding I'd have a session of three beers back last year and I'd pay for it all night!

Just thought I'd add a post in here and blow my own trumpet so to speak but more so to encourage anyone viewing this thread that's a Coeliac that yes you definitely can brew your own gluten free beer and it won't cost you the world!:)

The malting process is just like all grain brewing in a way at first there's so many steps involved with steeping and drying and aerating ect but once you've malted a few batches it really becomes another fascinating process where you watch the grains slowly change and sprout from day to day smelling chewing running your hands through the grain I'm so glad I'm malting my grains
. It's actually very enjoyable and sorta like brew day mashing in walk away for an hour come back do something Sparge set kettle for boil walk away.
Its a process that needs a little attention every now and then for a couple of days:)

Just ask me if your unsure and I'm more than willing to help in some way.

Cheers
What Don said.

And I’ll just add that it’s been a real pleasure to follow along in your journey. Thanks for sharing, it’s been fascinating.

Thanks Don and Megary yup it's a work in progress but I'm very happy with the beer I'm making.

Heaps more to come though
I want to try some corn and millet and maybe some sorgum but am still wary on the fesarium mould as its toxic.

Want to get down to Gerky transport come spring time and grab some bulk grains.

So great to see you making GF beers from the ground up. When you first told us about the Celiac diagnosis it almost sounded like you were through with Brewers Friend and your imaginary friends.

I agree!
Absolutely amazing and fun to follow you along.
Just wish I could taste one of them GF beers :D

There's a world First Clinical Trial being done here on the Sunshine Coast and in Brisbane for a potential oral tablet that blocks the enzymes responsible for breaking down the gluten and causing the Auto Immune response in Ceoliacs.

https://www.miragenews.com/unisc-trials-potential-new-coeliac-disease-1079486/

I've put my hand up to be apart of this Clinical Trial .

It sounds exciting for Coeliac sufferers some Ceoliacs regardless of following a strict gluten free diet still get sick and present symptoms.

When eating out Coeliacs play Russian roulette with their body hoping the chefs have taken the "Gluten Free" side of their kitchen seriously.

Anyhow I thought I'd mention it in this thread as if it does end up working it'll mean great things for Coeliacs :).

Last edited:
There's a world First Clinical Trial being done here on the Sunshine Coast and in Brisbane for a potential oral tablet that blocks the enzymes responsible for breaking down the gluten and causing the Auto Immune response in Ceoliacs.

It sounds exciting for Coeliac sufferers some Ceoliacs regardless of following a strict gluten free diet still get sick and present symptoms.

When eating out Coeliacs play Russian roulette with their body hoping the chefs have taken the "Gluten Free" side of their kitchen seriously.

Anyhow I thought I'd mention it in this thread as if it does end up working it'll mean great things for Coeliacs :).
Wow. That would be a game changer, wouldn't it?

Wow. That would be a game changer, wouldn't it?
Yeah for sure!

I'd imagine it would be something like this.

Oh I'm going out to dinner tonight I'll pop one of them Gluten Enzyme blocker tablets so I can have a trouble free dinner and don't have to be anxious about getting "Glutened" while I'm out eating.

Possible scenario #2 oh I'd love to participate in Oktoberfest no worries I'll pop some gluten Enzyme blocker tablets and participate. ;);):D

It would be great if something good comes from these trials.
I know that there is something similar for people with lactose intolerance.

Fingers crossed Ben!
upload_2023-9-15_15-28-40.png

For reference.

Deltamalt: Enzymes Alpha Amylase, Beta Glucanase and Protease.

Should be added at start of mash for best results.

Dosage = .6 - 1ml / kg of grist.

Protease optimal PH = 6 highly stable.
Optimal temp = 55c
(Hydrolysis of protine @5 Ph).

Beta Glucanase Optimal PH = 5
Optimal mash temp = 70c stable between 45c - 75c

ALPHA AMYLASE optimal mash temperature = 85c stable between 45c -90c.

Looks like the best temperature to doe in for these 3 enzymes is 55c then step to 70c and last step 85c to hit all enzyme optimalt temperatures.

I'd love to be able to slowly ramp up through these targets to get the best outta the enzymes..

Last edited:
For reference.

Low Carb Enzyme
Deltatazyme AMG (Amyloglucosidase).
Aspergillus Niger.

For use in the fermenter or the mash.

Optimal mash temp = 58c - 65c.

Dosage 15ml / 23lt batch.

For reference.

Low Carb Enzyme
Deltatazyme AMG (Amyloglucosidase).
Aspergillus Niger.

For use in the fermenter or the mash.

Optimal mash temp = 58c - 65c.

Dosage 15ml / 23lt batch.
Is that to reduce the carbohydrates in the finished beer? Any idea if it affects the flavor?

Is that to reduce the carbohydrates in the finished beer? Any idea if it affects the flavor?
Well honestly I'm in a bit of a conundrum there Don.

My fermentations have suffered from terrible attenuation like averaging only 50% + really bad.
All year I've been working on this issue trying to erk more out of the fermentation.

Mashing really long 6hours overnight rising step mash falling step mash adding more Amylase enzymes adding inverted sugars warming up the fermenter adding yeast nutrient pitching on whole yeast cakes all result in similar attenuation limits around 50 -60 %.

Now is it the yeast I thought serially repitching well I used it in a batch of cider and it attenuated down to .004 so not that.

Long story short I've come to the conclusion is it's a conversion issue or unconverted starch issue.

Amyloglucosidase is designed to create glucose a highly fermentable wort used for distilling or high alcohol beers.

I'm thinking of using this in the mash therefore being able to hopefully over time fine a sorta measurement 60 minutes of mash time = X amount of fermentable wort.

Adding it to the fermenter I'm thinking it won't stop until it's broken down all the carbohydrate molecules into Glucose units resulting in a yes heaps attenuated dry beer but with no flavour.
Sorta like a diastaticus nightmare and I'm introducing it on purpose yeah no Thanks lol!

Straight up rice has a high geletanisation temperature 85c so it's hard to break down them starches to begin with.
My last brew day I mashed in at boiling and let it drop to 85c where I added my high temp alpha Amylase enzyme thinking beauty I've geletanised the grains and made way to Amylase to start cleaving at the 1,4 1,6 linkages.

I'm getting great conversion on that batch I hit 1.065 og on a 1.056 ish beer Ozarks Q4 Amber but maybe some of them starches are still un broken.
That's sitting at 1.033 ATM so once again 50% attenuation on the sugars produced from that mash.

The new Deltamalt Enzyme might help as well Who knows it's a different blend than the Ondea Pro I've just been using since start of year.

One last thing I do want to try is a double decoction mash maybe by decocting like the old school brewers did with poorly modified grains might help.

I'm expecting my home maltings arnt nowhere near that good.

Anyhow there's an insight into my Gluten Free brewing Conundrum.

I'm fairly confident this AMG Enzyme will sort it out ;)

Lots going on there @Trialben . If you can make a wort that is a "heaps attenuated dry beer but with no flavour", perhaps a later mixture of that wort and some of your less-converted wort. Once the enzymes are all denatured, you should end up with something that attenuates properly.

Quite the problem to solve. Push through thus spate of weak beer, I know you will figure it out. Let me think on all that, too.

Well honestly I'm in a bit of a conundrum there Don.

My fermentations have suffered from terrible attenuation like averaging only 50% + really bad.
All year I've been working on this issue trying to erk more out of the fermentation.

Mashing really long 6hours overnight rising step mash falling step mash adding more Amylase enzymes adding inverted sugars warming up the fermenter adding yeast nutrient pitching on whole yeast cakes all result in similar attenuation limits around 50 -60 %.

Now is it the yeast I thought serially repitching well I used it in a batch of cider and it attenuated down to .004 so not that.

Long story short I've come to the conclusion is it's a conversion issue or unconverted starch issue.

Amyloglucosidase is designed to create glucose a highly fermentable wort used for distilling or high alcohol beers.

I'm thinking of using this in the mash therefore being able to hopefully over time fine a sorta measurement 60 minutes of mash time = X amount of fermentable wort.

Adding it to the fermenter I'm thinking it won't stop until it's broken down all the carbohydrate molecules into Glucose units resulting in a yes heaps attenuated dry beer but with no flavour.
Sorta like a diastaticus nightmare and I'm introducing it on purpose yeah no Thanks lol!

Straight up rice has a high geletanisation temperature 85c so it's hard to break down them starches to begin with.
My last brew day I mashed in at boiling and let it drop to 85c where I added my high temp alpha Amylase enzyme thinking beauty I've geletanised the grains and made way to Amylase to start cleaving at the 1,4 1,6 linkages.

I'm getting great conversion on that batch I hit 1.065 og on a 1.056 ish beer Ozarks Q4 Amber but maybe some of them starches are still un broken.
That's sitting at 1.033 ATM so once again 50% attenuation on the sugars produced from that mash.

The new Deltamalt Enzyme might help as well Who knows it's a different blend than the Ondea Pro I've just been using since start of year.

One last thing I do want to try is a double decoction mash maybe by decocting like the old school brewers did with poorly modified grains might help.

I'm expecting my home maltings arnt nowhere near that good.

Anyhow there's an insight into my Gluten Free brewing Conundrum.

I'm fairly confident this AMG Enzyme will sort it out ;)
nothing wrong with low alcohol beer, I do it all the time, I can drink more

Lots going on there @Trialben . If you can make a wort that is a "heaps attenuated dry beer but with no flavour", perhaps a later mixture of that wort and some of your less-converted wort. Once the enzymes are all denatured, you should end up with something that attenuates properly.

Quite the problem to solve. Push through thus spate of weak beer, I know you will figure it out. Let me think on all that, too.
Cheers Don

Latest batch of rice malt looks ready.

one thing I have found as it's been heating up is rinsing the grains morning and night helps keep the lacto at bay...
20231110_060013.jpg

It smells so sweet found my chooks go crazy for it to.
20231110_065704.jpg

I tell ya what I love the hands on malting part.

2 days and this should be dry ready for the kiln.

Havnt posted in here for awhile almost a year now since my diagnosis.

I'm in a way better place than this time last year.

Life is good

The GF ive made this year has been good some of it better than I could of imagined.

Now to work on some better attenuation.

Back