Brewing with Ceoliac Disease

upload_2023-4-21_13-16-27.png

OK So pullulanase attacks this glucosidic bond and Amylase enzymes Attack the 1,4 glucosidelic bonds
upload_2023-4-21_13-18-50.png

So am I right in thinking that Pullulanase breaks the 1,6 bond that then allows Amylase to then continue to attack the 1,4 linkages?

Or I it that 1,6 glucosidic bond would just remain without Pullulanase work and therefore remain unfermentable to the yeast (higher sugar molecules such as maltotriose maltose)¿?o_O

Sooo in this image or a Maltotriose structure

upload_2023-4-21_13-28-52.png

The 1,6 glucosidic bond is what links them two (maltose starch molecules)?

I can see enzymes and how they work a bit clearer now chopping these linkages up creating different carbohydrate chains.

Last edited:
It's over 30 years since I opened my bio-organic chemistry book :rolleyes:
Maybe I should take it out of the old schoolbook box next time I go to Europe

Time to try a new grain/legume o_O
20230422_114912.jpg

Why green lentils :) why you wonder?
20230421_190144.jpg

24.5 g of protine/ 100g that's some head retention potential and body building right there.
Oh the may contain yes I know...:rolleyes:

Anywho will wait and see
I also see that :not suitable for sprouting. fingers crossed

Oh on another exciting front I've found a great little wholesaler online they will supply 20kg bags and or bring in a container and fill on site
Screenshot_20230422_120217_Chrome.jpg

Their selling millet for 27$ / 20kg
Or maize at $19.50

This is Darling Downs a little way from here about 3 hours away but might be worth the drive if I really bulk up...

Last edited:
View attachment 25131
OK So pullulanase attacks this glucosidic bond and Amylase enzymes Attack the 1,4 glucosidelic bonds
View attachment 25132
So am I right in thinking that Pullulanase breaks the 1,6 bond that then allows Amylase to then continue to attack the 1,4 linkages?

Or I it that 1,6 glucosidic bond would just remain without Pullulanase work and therefore remain unfermentable to the yeast (higher sugar molecules such as maltotriose maltose)¿?o_O

Sooo in this image or a Maltotriose structure

View attachment 25133
The 1,6 glucosidic bond is what links them two (maltose starch molecules)?

I can see enzymes and how they work a bit clearer now chopping these linkages up creating different carbohydrate chains.
I'm wrong the enzymes Attack the glucosidic bonds but sepperate enzymes Attack seperate bonds pullulanase yes it debranches / cuts the 1,6 glucosidic bond like and Amylase Enzymes cut the 1,4 glucosidic bonds to create more simple sugars like glucose .

The yeast as we know then metabolise them into alcohol :)

Clear as mud to me

Last edited:
The lentils germinated View attachment 25190
Not 100% I'd say atleast 80% germination

So much for not suitable for sprouting

Gunna throw 200g in my next GF batch apparently their good for adding body and head retention will see.

Very interesting stuff, Ben. Fun to watch you learn and teach us all.

When you get these grains/lentils to germinate, do you ever periodically crack one open and see what you can see. If I remember my Palmer, there is something about the length of the acrospire growing under the husk (more than 1/2 way down the kernel??) that tells a maltster when the kernel is fully germinated. Of course, that was for Barley, not sure how it applies to lentils.

At the grocery store I saw raw peanuts and thought about trying to plant a few.
Would there be anything frrmentable in a peanut?

At the grocery store I saw raw peanuts and thought about trying to plant a few.
Would there be anything frrmentable in a peanut?
Yeah definitely.
Off the top of my head the oil content might be tricky.

I've read of GF brewers in America using walnut I'm pretty sure it was

Very interesting stuff, Ben. Fun to watch you learn and teach us all.

When you get these grains/lentils to germinate, do you ever periodically crack one open and see what you can see. If I remember my Palmer, there is something about the length of the acrospire growing under the husk (more than 1/2 way down the kernel??) that tells a maltster when the kernel is fully germinated. Of course, that was for Barley, not sure how it applies to lentils.
Yeah true I've not done this I've been going by the length of the acrospire 3/4 ish the length.

I could be cutting off germination a bit short.

Or not the rice and them lentils don't have a husk.
The rice has had theirs removed for consumptions so I actually havnt malted anything with a husk:p.

Soo there isn't anything for the acrospire to hide behind...

As you can see the grain germinates at different rates so it's a bit of a gamble.

All I can say is malting is easier than you think
I've had more success than failure so far.

But without the additional endogenous enzymes I'd definitely be screwed as I can't control the germination temperature and drying /kilning temperatures as well so maintaining a good enzyme load is more variable + alot of these GF grains already naturally have less Enzymatic power to begin with. :)

Dropped 4kg rice into the dryer first thing this morning.
20230426_055909.jpg

It's been showery weather on and off all day so will be interesting what I see how dry it is when I get home.

I'm thinking a couple of days In this then kiln it all on the weekend.

Heap of condensation on the underside of the glass.
20230426_154821.jpg

It's been a rainy day here.

But I guess if the sun is drying out the malt the moisture is gunna go up and hit the back of the glass.

So I've got the vents on the bottom of the box maybe I need some up top for the moisture to escape.

Maybe I need to employ some 12v fans too I could run them off the solar pond pump I've got near by.

Will see what tomorrow brings

Lentils all kilned 60mins 150c

Smell nice and nutty
20230426_164734.jpg

Last edited:
Heap of condensation on the underside of the glass.View attachment 25198
It's been a rainy day here.

But I guess if the sun is drying out the malt the moisture is gunna go up and hit the back of the glass.

So I've got the vents on the bottom of the box maybe I need some up top for the moisture to escape.

Maybe I need to employ some 12v fans too I could run them off the solar pond pump I've got near by.

Will see what tomorrow brings

Lentils all kilned 60mins 150c

Smell nice and nutty
View attachment 25199
I second the idea of a fan blowing across the grains and some holes at the top as a vent.. That moisture build-up can't be a positive.

I second the idea of a fan blowing across the grains and some holes at the top as a vent.. That moisture build-up can't be a positive.
Yup I'm gunna drill some vent holes above the drying racks.

My thinking is air should be drawn In through the lower vent holes and up through the bed and out through the top vent holes through the thermal currents generated inside the box.

Theory hot air rises.

I'm hoping this should create enough air flow without a fan.

Another rainy day today lol so not a great start to my Solar dehydration endeavours:)

If it is humid it would stand to reason the the drying would be significantly reduces. The "drying" is the evaporation of moisture from the grain. If the humidity is high, there could be very little drying taking place. Air flow would help a lot.

You're right about the air Ben ;)
Inlet as low as possible
Outlet high, but maybe to the side to prevent rain coming in.
And inlet on windward side, outlet on the opposite so the air has to go over and through the grains

If it is humid it would stand to reason the the drying would be significantly reduces. The "drying" is the evaporation of moisture from the grain. If the humidity is high, there could be very little drying taking place. Air flow would help a lot.
Using the air to dry anything where Ben lives is a challenge. Humid as hell every time I visit my son up there.

Yup I'll pop some holes either side up top

Hoping something like this will happeno_O
20230427_181139.jpg

Very technical drawing :p
As this bloke at the bottom of the page said
20230427_181152.jpg

Same result comming home today condensation built up on the underside of the glass and dripping back down into the grain arrrggghh.

Luckily it doesn't smell spoiled some bits along the edge of the pile were quite dry.

It's all in my oven now with the fan on
20230427_155444.jpg

I'll leave this till Tomorrow evening to get some kilning.

Another thing I gotta do is line the seal under the lid with some rubber foam so it seals better I've noticed some little fermentation flys have got inside and they will wreck havoc on a batch.

All in all I'm glad this rain has come and really tested out my solar dehydrator theory and put it too the test.

I'd be foolish to think this first test would work without some trial and error:).

Cheers all thanks for your help.

On them vents id like to eventually make them adjustable so I can controll hopefully the flow through the dehydrator...

On them vents id like to eventually make them adjustable so I can controll hopefully the flow through the dehydrator...
Yeah, not difficult either.
Think weber kettle braai :)

Remembered I had a Rex C100 sitting around and I'm sure that thermomcable can withstand some high themps ( @Minbari ) ?
20230427_200758.jpg

If not will find out tomorrow :D

So why not stick it in the oven so I can use it to check temperatures since the ovens temp guage doesn't go below 100.

20230427_200748.jpg

Back