Christopher Brown

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I've been brewing for just about two years but have been doing BIAB. I finally purchased the equipment to go full all-grain and fly sparge. When I brewed BIAB I had added my minerals to the entire volume of water to get the proper pH. What I'm confused with is how many minerals to add to my water now. For example, I have water profiles set (via Brewer's Friend water profile calculator) for all of my recipes. Would I just keep those same water profiles and add the same amount of minerals? Adding minerals to 7.75 gallons of water is going to be way different than adding the same minerals to 4.3 gallons and I feel like that would make my pH lower than needed. Also when I go to add the sparge water without minerals, then the water profile in the end won't be the same. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I need help.

Cheers!

Can't help with your question but am interested in any answers to it. I'm getting very interested in water profiles generally, not something I've looked at so far

This calculator is super good: https://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/
Just make sure you add your grist info first (or link it from your saved recipe), and make sure your water volumes are accurate, eg. 5 gallons mash and 3 gallons sparge.

Then enter your source water profile, enter your water target profile, and THEN start doing salt and/or acid additions.

With treating your water you could do 1 of 2 things. Either treat your entire volume of water you're going to use before brewing, OR, I just add all the minerals I'm going to use into the mash water and leave my sparge water as untreated deionized. There's probably some debate as not treating your sparge water being bad, however I haven't noticed anything adverse.

This calculator is super good: https://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/
Just make sure you add your grist info first (or link it from your saved recipe), and make sure your water volumes are accurate, eg. 5 gallons mash and 3 gallons sparge.

Then enter your source water profile, enter your water target profile, and THEN start doing salt and/or acid additions.

With treating your water you could do 1 of 2 things. Either treat your entire volume of water you're going to use before brewing, OR, I just add all the minerals I'm going to use into the mash water and leave my sparge water as untreated deionized. There's probably some debate as not treating your sparge water being bad, however I haven't noticed anything adverse.
If you batch sparge, no problem. Fly sparging is a bit different: pH matters more. I acidify my sparge water to pH 5.4, works fine.

Back