Brew Names

I name beers after the style, like Brown Ale, Pale Ale or Hefeweitzen. I'm creative but more interested in being brutally descriptive than obscure.

Yep, I am the same. I haven't gotten to the point of naming beers other than to be descriptive. Of course I give 80% of my beer away so an odd name doesn't make sense at the moment.

If I was only brewing German beers I’d go
Holschuhbrau as Holschuh is the family name from my paternal grandma. But I brew more British beers. Something with the Hanoverian monarchy? History nerd here
So Hohlschuh-Windsor Brewing? I think Windsor is a popular name in the UK?

I'd think you'd have a huge amount of ideas with everything Kentucky.
Bourbon, Horseracing, moonshining, Coal, KFC, just to name a few.
I could have some fun with it!
I guess I never really thought outside the box like that. Thanks for that. I tried for names to make “sense” but really fun and memorable would do

I suck at anything creative….. I’ve named a few after yeast origin to differentiate different type of the same style. Named one after my paternal grandmothers German family name but have since brewed other German lagers I’d like to move that name too haha. Only one that has stuck is my Tolbooth 80 Shilling, after the first pub I visited in Edinburgh, which I’ve made the same way each time and loved it. I’m pretty generic.
Hey you create some pretty tasty bevvys Though Josh.

I usually give them descriptive, rather than creative names. "Idaho 7 pale ale," "Dunkelweizen," etc. Sometimes, I come up with a snarky name for a clone, like "Elk Snot" (Moose Drool clone), "Piss Yellow Beer" (blonde ale), "The Evil Goat of Einbeck" (Doppelbock), and so forth. Sometimes I cobble together beers from leftover grains, calling them "Leftoverture."

I don't print labels, so the naming is more of an in-joke.

When brewing up a beer I find myself trying to come up with a fun name for the brew. I have a background as a Dungeon Master and Player of D&D. I have been playing for many years. As part of this, I have a Character that is my default to go to when I get to play. Additionally, I have a Discord game server called the Cracked Bell Inn. I have been coming up with D&D related names for beers and meads that are in the wings.

My question to all of you is this.

How do you come up with names for your beers?
I can think of any association when I drink beer. And it is in the name of this association that I name the beer;)

When brewing up a beer I find myself trying to come up with a fun name for the brew. I have a background as a Dungeon Master and Player of D&D. I have been playing for many years. As part of this, I have a Character that is my default to go to when I get to play. Additionally, I have a Discord game server called the Cracked Bell Inn. I have been coming up with D&D related names for beers and meads that are in the wings.

My question to all of you is this.

How do you come up with names for your beers?
Being a renaissance faire enthusiast I tend to use names that associate with the 15th and 16th century as well as mythical names.

Once I named a beer due to an event during brewing. I was brewing a Kolsch in the garage and a yellowjacket decided to kamikaze into the boiling wort and I had to fish it out. I named the beer Buzz Lightbeer.

Some years ago I thought about doing labels and did some crude Photshopping. But I kind of lost interest in the idea and didn't want to be scraping off labels every time I reuse bottles.
BadLemurBrewing.jpg

I kind of lost interest in the idea and didn't want to be scraping off labels every time I reuse bottles.

Yuppers....that's why I took a hint from the masters
20221204_212704.jpg
and why I'm a fan of "crown art" because after a while...all the brown bottles look the same and it helps with the menu!
20221204_215134.jpg

And all you that think that you are not creative...stop selling yourself short! The Art is in the glass! ;)

Last edited:
Yuppers....that's why I took a hint from the masters View attachment 23324 and why I'm a fan of "crown art" because after a while...all the brown bottles look the same and it helps with the menu!
View attachment 23326
And all you that think that you are not creative...stop selling yourself short! The Art is in the glass! ;)
Great post. The art is in the glass!
Out of all the bottle caps, the one I like best is the owl (Great Horned?) in the upper right corner.
When I have multiple batches available in bottles, I mark the caps, simply writing with a Sharpie the mnemonic that will remind me of what is in the bottle. I hope to have that “problem” pretty soon.

Back