Brew Names

CoFlyGuy

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
When brewing up a beer I find myself trying to come up with a fun name for the brew. I have a background as a Dungeon Master and Player of D&D. I have been playing for many years. As part of this, I have a Character that is my default to go to when I get to play. Additionally, I have a Discord game server called the Cracked Bell Inn. I have been coming up with D&D related names for beers and meads that are in the wings.

My question to all of you is this.

How do you come up with names for your beers?

I made a stout today, and I expect it to be smooth. Therefore I call it Smooth Stout.
My most commonly made beer is an amber ale - guess the name. Early on, I named each beer “Herm’s this or that” but have gotten away from that lately. Dubbel Switch was a fun name for a very interesting beer, that just maybe I should brew again.

I suck at anything creative….. I’ve named a few after yeast origin to differentiate different type of the same style. Named one after my paternal grandmothers German family name but have since brewed other German lagers I’d like to move that name too haha. Only one that has stuck is my Tolbooth 80 Shilling, after the first pub I visited in Edinburgh, which I’ve made the same way each time and loved it. I’m pretty generic.

Some names are planned. Others are weird things that happen on brew day.
When I was brewing my ESB, the wife wasn't paying attention to the garage door when she was using her remote. Something got caught, and the pulleys broke. Thus, the name.
My English beers normally have Pink Floyd names as the first time I made one, I had bad yeast. At the time, I couldn't think of anything more FUed than The Wall.

Sarcasm, humor, something meaningful, an event or occasion....
Mostly just having fun with what comes to mind.
To name a few;
HiPapa
Sun Kissed
May Flower
Sidekick
Snow Flake
7.24.Ever
And the list goes on.

With all the Marzens that you like: Josh's Festhaus LOL.
If I was only brewing German beers I’d go
Holschuhbrau as Holschuh is the family name from my paternal grandma. But I brew more British beers. Something with the Hanoverian monarchy? History nerd here

I used to name every one. Now I wait and name the good ones. Or if I think of something clever easily. My recipe folder has a lot of "Cascade/Simcoe Pale ale" type names
Yeah, only the good ones. I'm not creative enough to waste time naming something that I'll rarely, if ever, brew again. :)

For my IPAs I like to blend the names of the hops together to form a new word such as Azorado = Azacca & El Dorado and Citrabro = Citra & Sabro. Makes it easy to identify what hops were used and also helps to remind me if it was a good combination.

I really enjoy the creativity of a lot of members here. Some of the names are real funny.
Unfortunately, I'm not that creative...

If I'm using someone else's recipe (which is most of the time) I'll keep the name the same (e.g. Herm's Azacca Wheat, Janet's Brown Ale, etc.). One of the few beers I've renamed was an Irish Red where I modified the original recipe enough to warrant a new name. I named it Mary's Otter Irish Red because one of the changes I made was to use Maris Otter. Another beer I renamed are a bitter/ESB. The bitter, I renamed Bitter Barbarian and the ESB is Extra Bitter Barbarian. My only guidelines on renaming a beer is it has to be a beer I brew regularly (I only have some many creativity credits to spend) and it has to include or reference the style (so I don't have to look it up). You know what they say, when you get old.....something:rolleyes:.....something:oops:.....is the first to goo_O.

Back