Bread Thread!

Has any of you ever made bread with the trub from beer?
I was thinking of trying this with the trub from cider though, as that one doesn't contain any hop, but still seems pretty active (active enough for another batch of cider at least)
It was a toss up between posring here or in the "random thought" thread ;)

I've never thought of that but, sounds like a great experiment! Let us know how it turns out.

Wow, that sounds like a bot wrote that response! :rolleyes:

OK, it works
Just not sure if I would do it again.
I used the trub of 2 bottles of cider, made up to 100 ml with water and mixed with 100 gr flour.
Not much response. Pushed it in the fridge overnight, took out in the morning.
Added 150 flour and 50 water to make a 60% hydration dough. Kneaded a couple minutes, formed in a ball and kept it on the counter.
Very very slow rise, but it did rise.
Then made into pizza's as I am still painting my oven.

I basically treated is as I would sourdough as it was real slow to rise. I prefer the taste of sourdough though

Pictures
First mix
IMG_20220405_111615.jpg

After resting in fridge, adding flour/water and kneading
IMG_20220406_122727.jpg

Rise
IMG_20220407_090112.jpg

Dough balls
IMG_20220407_105649.jpg

Pizza (yes, I know it is not the pizza thread, but I had to show the finished product)
IMG_20220407_112148.jpg

OK, it works
Just not sure if I would do it again.
I used the trub of 2 bottles of cider, made up to 100 ml with water and mixed with 100 gr flour.
Not much response. Pushed it in the fridge overnight, took out in the morning.
Added 150 flour and 50 water to make a 60% hydration dough. Kneaded a couple minutes, formed in a ball and kept it on the counter.
Very very slow rise, but it did rise.
Then made into pizza's as I am still painting my oven.

I basically treated is as I would sourdough as it was real slow to rise. I prefer the taste of sourdough though

Pictures
First mix
View attachment 20158

After resting in fridge, adding flour/water and kneading
View attachment 20157

Rise
View attachment 20156

Dough balls
View attachment 20155

Pizza (yes, I know it is not the pizza thread, but I had to show the finished product)
View attachment 20154
5 pictures, so that is worth 5000 words. Thanks for undertaking the experiment for our education and entertainment. I have to add this to my to do list.

I made bread once using one of the dry beer yeasts maybe safAle06?
Worked fairly well but tasted terrible...
This one had a slight bitterness to it. Not noticable in the part with topping, but you could taste it in the crust.
Now I can't remember if I put my cider on clean yeast or if it was on old beer trub, so it's unconclusive

Oven is painted and time to try it out.
It's a gas oven with only bottom heat so I got to learn to cook with that. The focaccia definitely could have been a bit browner on the top. Next time I'll bake higher in the oven.
It was an olive basil focaccia, roughly according to recipe of Paul Hollywood.
Needed to play around with rising time as my room temperature is slightly higher than in the UK ;)

IMG_20220410_150236.jpg

Bottom got a good colour
IMG_20220410_161513.jpg

Top could be darker
IMG_20220410_161527.jpg

Tasted pretty good though
IMG_20220410_181923.jpg

I'm working on a sourdough bread.
I haven't had an oven for a couple of years, so I'm a bit rusty:eek:
Dough is in the fridge now
To be continued tomorrow

Still need to figure out how to brown the top easily in an oven with only bottom heat.
These were baked for 30 minutes in Dutch oven's, then 10 minutes with lid off. No top browning took place, so I took them out and put them back in the oven, upside down on.lowest shelve.
There got to be an easier way
IMG_20220416_123743.jpg

I wasn't happy with the recipe. Back to the drawing board.

I was happy with those though:
IMG_20220415_155933.jpg

Still need to figure out how to brown the top easily in an oven with only bottom heat.
These were baked for 30 minutes in Dutch oven's, then 10 minutes with lid off. No top browning took place, so I took them out and put them back in the oven, upside down on.lowest shelve.
There got to be an easier way
View attachment 20270

I wasn't happy with the recipe. Back to the drawing board.

I was happy with those though:
View attachment 20271
Maybe just maybe and this might be dangerous.
Pre heat the Dutchy upside down lid down to the heat.
Then when ready to bake (Burney part) flip the Dutchy before opening to put the bread in for first half of bake.
Maybe it'll be still piping hot on top.

Or do the camp oven bit and pile coals on the lid...

Then when ready to bake (Burney part) flip the Dutchy before opening to put the bread in for first half of bake.

I love it - brewers helping friends!

I had the Dutch oven (normal side up) preheating for about 40 minutes so top and bottom were screaming hot....
But you got me on to something: I'm thinking of using the pot upside down.
Bread on the lid, pot on top.
Remove the pot that is now the lid ( :) ) a bit sooner and maybe that way I can finish off the bake higher in the oven.

I'm not going to put charcoal in my gasoven, but if I don't win, I will start baking outside on the braai :)

Back