Bread Thread!

Still working on my sourdough in combination with this gas oven :rolleyes:

I read something about cold oven/cold pot start and decided to give it a try.
I think the dough was a little underproofed, and I should have baked it a little longer, but it got potential :confused:
IMG_20220421_091351.jpg

Still working on my sourdough in combination with this gas oven :rolleyes:

I read something about cold oven/cold pot start and decided to give it a try.
I think the dough was a little underproofed, and I should have baked it a little longer, but it got potential :confused:
View attachment 20368
Oh that looks great I think!

Ok here is a brain fart,
The last few minutes slide a pizza stone under the pot and crank up the temp on the oven...

Ok here is a brain fart,
The last few minutes slide a pizza stone under the pot and crank up the temp on the oven...
I use the oven on the highest setting already.
But the idea is to slide something under the pot to get it up higher to the top if the oven (reflective heat, as heat comes only from the bottom). I'll check if my pizza stone works. Otherwise, I may still have a cast iron flat plate or flame diffuser...
Never thought of those flame diffusers before. Thanks all so much for input and making my grey matter work :cool:

Realised something else: the pot I've been using has a glass ovenproof lid. Next attempt will have a cast iron one (although 1st attempt had 2 cast iron pots, 1 with glass lid and 1 with cast iron and I didn't see a difference. Ah well, I can but hope)
Good thing about the experiments is that they taste pretty good anyway :p

I always bake my sourdough in enameled cast iron Dutch oven, with lid on for first 45 minutes. The last 15 minutes, the lid is removed, and the Dutch oven is placed atop a deep dish pizza pan. My gas oven does kick ass, though.

@Herm_brews : does yourgas oven also only heats from the bottom?
And how big is it?
Mine is real small, sort of 45 x 35 x 28 cm or so (depth, width, heigth) but does get up to 250 oC (around 475 F)

I'm going to get good bread out of this oven. It's just a learning curve, so real happy with all comments and suggestions!

@Herm_brews : does yourgas oven also only heats from the bottom?
And how big is it?
Mine is real small, sort of 45 x 35 x 28 cm or so (depth, width, heigth) but does get up to 250 oC (around 475 F)

I'm going to get good bread out of this oven. It's just a learning curve, so real happy with all comments and suggestions!
Normal baking, yes it fires from the bottom. It also has a HI broil from the top, and it has convection feature too. I’m not sure of dimensions, but I can fit my old 3 gallon brew kettle in there, which is very nice for holding a mash temperature. I’m not sure how hot it can get, but I’ve had it over 500F!

I'll be baking again today (or tomorrow)
More or less same recipe, except for a little higher hydration and a more active starter

image.jpg
image.jpg
Last night’s sourdough bake. This dough is made with stout sbg ground to flour, at about 10.5% of the overall flour. A little goes a long way.

I just sliced the loaf, and it is one of the best I have baked. I am very pleased with the result.

Last edited:

Back