Bread Thread!

Yeah
Pic 3 is out of hiding!
She ain't pretty...

IMG_20211130_131242.jpg

I am hopeful that I have not killed my sourdough starter. On Friday morning, I fed the starter, but it was sluggish. Friday afternoon, I put the starter in the garage on the still warm hood of my car - the starter exhibited life, but it was too late to do anything with it then. Saturday morning, I discarded about half, and fed again. Sluggish again inside our cold house, so I put the jar in our WARM oven for about half an hour. No obvious starter boosting, so I fed it again on Sunday, left it in our oven set at the PROOF setting. This morning it exhibits no signs of life, damn it!

Man, it is very difficult to kill sourdough starters!
Take a bit again. Weigh
Add same amount flour/same amount water. Give it time!
Keep outside fridge. Just inside house should be fine, assuming you don't live in an igloo!
Wait for a little activity. Might take a couple of days. Then feed again.
I've had mine in the fridge, close to freezer section, for 6 weeks and I managed to revive!
If not, come visit, and you can take some of my starter home ;) ;) ;)

I think I might have let it get too warm in my oven on the WARM setting. This morning I dumped some discard, fed it, and let it sit in a warm oven. It appears to be exhibiting some life. I hope it is still alive, as we have no bread in the house, and I don’t want to be buying any bread.

I think I might have let it get too warm in my oven on the WARM setting. This morning I dumped some discard, fed it, and let it sit in a warm oven. It appears to be exhibiting some life. I hope it is still alive, as we have no bread in the house, and I don’t want to be buying any bread.
Another one is the sniff test does it smell tarty then you know it's fermenting.

Man you've had that starter for awhile aye herm?

Do even have to say it? Patience...;-)

image.jpg
And it made a round of sourdough. For this dough, I increased the portion of spent beer grain flour to equal the portion of white whole wheat, from a 1:3 ratio previously. This round exhibiting good rise, I think it will have good texture.
Long may my sourdough starter live.

Last edited:
View attachment 18503 And it made a round of sourdough. For this dough, I increased the portion of spent beer grain flour to equal the portion of white whole wheat, from a 1:3 ratio previously. This round exhibiting good rise, I think it will have good texture.
Long may my sourdough starter live.
That's a great rise out of spent grain awesome stuff as usual herm.

I just bought an old gas stove, so I can be baking again.
Not off to a good start though as I got a serious eye infection.
Stove is still with the person I bought it of, and I'm stuck in town with eye drops, visits to eye doctor etc.
And I got a batch of dough in my fridge that is just sitting getting old :(
Eyes are more important than bread!!!

I just bought an old gas stove, so I can be baking again.
Not off to a good start though as I got a serious eye infection.
Stove is still with the person I bought it of, and I'm stuck in town with eye drops, visits to eye doctor etc.
And I got a batch of dough in my fridge that is just sitting getting old :(
Eyes are more important than bread!!!
No Way Zambezi that sure doesn't sound good man I hope antibiotics gets that infection under control hope your not in too much pain.

Back