Bread Thread!

Thanks.
Did garlic bread with some of it to go with gumbo for supper.
Good work, Bob.

I just finished my final stretch and fold for my usual recipe loaf, to be baked tomorrow. For now, the covered bowl of dough is in the fridge for 12+ hours. Through time, my process of stretch and fold has simplified, and I like the results.

Hey spent grains users, I stumbled on this today on Kegerator's site and went looking for the study.

Brewer’s Spent Grain Bread Nutrition
The study from the University of Bucharest specifically addresses baking with spent grain. In the study they bake bread with 5%, 10%, 15%, and 20% of flour milled from spent grain and then chart the changing nutritive value. What they found was that as little as 5% spent grain flour doubled the breads fiber content, increased the protein by as much as 88%, decreased the carbohydrates, increased the fatty acids, decreased the calories, and increased some of the mineral content. In short, the brewer’s grain increased the nutrient density of the bread.

You do have to realize that as you increase the percentage of BSG flour more of the brewing flavors will become apparent. Most studies have found that around 10% SBG flour in a recipe is the upper limit if what most of the participants enjoyed. But, of course the cocktail of volatiles are going to change with each different batch of beer. You may find you like a really high percentage of spent grain flour from a certain beer style.

and here's a link to it if you are interested....

https://e-repository.org/rbl/vol.19/iss.5/8.pdf

or you could feed it to the chickens!

That math works, I think....:D
I use about 3.4% spent beer grain flour, plus about 2.7% 6-row barley flour in my sourdough loaves. It definitely affects the aroma, color and flavor of the finished bread in a manner that I appreciate. My recipe already uses about 10.2% white whole wheat flour, which provides a boost to color and protein. I might try bumping the SBG flour to 5% in my next batch.

20201227_171821.jpg
With the Kitchenaid I bought her for Christmas, the first project was last nights pizza, it was the best pizza I ever had. Today she has made cinnamon raisin bread, which will be enjoyed tomorrow morning. The house smells AMA ZU ZING!!!

I have to admit that I tore off a couple of tiny little bits, just totally by accident, so advanced scouting report is favorable for many thumbs up, but I will report back once it emerges from the toaster...

Back