Bread Thread!

Well, things went very different than I expected today.
I used the flour and yeast from the local mill and everything went much quicker than expected.
I made up the dough at about 7:15 this morning and then headed off to church. By the time I got home from church (9 ish), the dough had already doubled! I then gave it a good folding but the dough still felt a little loose and a bit sticky. I went outside to work for a while and when I came back in at 11, the dough had risen over the top of my bowl! At that point, i figured I had better just get it into an oven because it was reacting very quickly. I folded it again to try to stiffen it up a bit and then dumped it out onto a floured counter. I divided and moved it to 2 bowls to proof, turned on the oven to 450° aero-bake and put a cookie sheet on the bottom rack for a moisture pan. At this point I didn't have time to preheat my dutch oven, so i just got 2 loaf pans and a pizza pan ready with an oil wipe and a dusting of flour. Th bread proofed in under 30 minutes, so into the oven it went at about 11:45.
25 minutes later, I shut the oven off because it looked finished on the outside. At 40 minutes total time, I pulled the bread out of the oven. I got a very strange rise on the dough I put on the pizza pan, but it came out fine.
About 1 pm, I sliced 1 of the loafs. The crust is really nice with a good firm skin, and the inside is super soft.
In the end, I made bread. It's not the beat looking, but the overall bread may be one of the best I've had!
I'll get some pictures up later.
Cheers,
Brian
Was wondering where you've been good to see you back in your old haunts;).

Was wondering where you've been good to see you back in your old haunts;).
So much going on with the build-out, my daughter, my sister and my wife and I all moved or in the process of! Not to mention my 2nd grandchild is due tomorrow. It's been a whirlwind!.
The yeast I got from the local mill was the most active I've used to date. I'm not sure if they ship, but it might be something you or others may want to try.
Cheers
GNr519YwLsOfCaJC75blW3jsgeq3vFj7XgbTZ4Tm67T8XBmCwJdWZC-XCZqkKnpmcipESszSECr2tr6Jz6aPFndTI7HsD7asmc8r0JNT9R6FZRjzTiMT9Dxzibfd1AFZyRMxew7N9n4J0ClMrK7LGFnlTMd8Jq3Mr4IGXMvuA5_jb8TAsAyKTeyJoFPA1gQ036P7NaO7tdhNnZPkbgKex_JZmn1EjxIUtsPWah6jUNpZ8WO1EkE9B32BWttcVhWdmVohTJnPT4QGZSQSfx6Oa6hVStSve-9YOdM86MgrRPJHgMlTpysVzupW7K0DhN2Tqa-XQVYE_Y0Yqi3aS5KHW0Efrcvdl6KfB0VQP6OxpkqlrmLwDQFB_Z0ulEdvpRG-yVkmAGRCVpqAxDAx3kDOin9ifkD7ZuWce_1wd2fx16-0Eh7k7FPJOp_g7gjfEyxojjw9n8QL4VLgEIBo7POdQkG2IXxFIDLwRZKBVlAeNjYna-2p-WNovJ9oMgyosAabN1IyEblCWHcqYGSY73e4Wjn26TvtPXxPUYqyteyjgqXcTN7XOQPdoKHpQacrZRGkqtWAlBS4MBbBqkf5GZnDHg-Yx79YHa7_l9MCQjGOWt-7SSEpYq7GomNw0NjiTHqM_nYbMtgNd6tmHOR1dBQF5jjC9w9WLx8WD6q4VAU1MgWZdZ9gzN-fYuuUXv5Www=w456-h608-no

So much going on with the build-out, my daughter, my sister and my wife and I all moved or in the process of! Not to mention my 2nd grandchild is due tomorrow. It's been a whirlwind!.
The yeast I got from the local mill was the most active I've used to date. I'm not sure if they ship, but it might be something you or others may want to try.
Cheers
GNr519YwLsOfCaJC75blW3jsgeq3vFj7XgbTZ4Tm67T8XBmCwJdWZC-XCZqkKnpmcipESszSECr2tr6Jz6aPFndTI7HsD7asmc8r0JNT9R6FZRjzTiMT9Dxzibfd1AFZyRMxew7N9n4J0ClMrK7LGFnlTMd8Jq3Mr4IGXMvuA5_jb8TAsAyKTeyJoFPA1gQ036P7NaO7tdhNnZPkbgKex_JZmn1EjxIUtsPWah6jUNpZ8WO1EkE9B32BWttcVhWdmVohTJnPT4QGZSQSfx6Oa6hVStSve-9YOdM86MgrRPJHgMlTpysVzupW7K0DhN2Tqa-XQVYE_Y0Yqi3aS5KHW0Efrcvdl6KfB0VQP6OxpkqlrmLwDQFB_Z0ulEdvpRG-yVkmAGRCVpqAxDAx3kDOin9ifkD7ZuWce_1wd2fx16-0Eh7k7FPJOp_g7gjfEyxojjw9n8QL4VLgEIBo7POdQkG2IXxFIDLwRZKBVlAeNjYna-2p-WNovJ9oMgyosAabN1IyEblCWHcqYGSY73e4Wjn26TvtPXxPUYqyteyjgqXcTN7XOQPdoKHpQacrZRGkqtWAlBS4MBbBqkf5GZnDHg-Yx79YHa7_l9MCQjGOWt-7SSEpYq7GomNw0NjiTHqM_nYbMtgNd6tmHOR1dBQF5jjC9w9WLx8WD6q4VAU1MgWZdZ9gzN-fYuuUXv5Www=w456-h608-no
Photo ain't loading man I wanted to see this loaf.

This is last night's bake.
I only folded this one twice let's just say I got bit carried away on the beers:rolleyes:
20200720_184420.jpg

Hey Ben, how is that little future brewing assistant coming along? Must be getting close!
Still fermenting per se?

Photo ain't loading man I wanted to see this loaf.

This is last night's bake.
I only folded this one twice let's just say I got bit carried away on the beers:rolleyes:
View attachment 10955

Looks good to me!
I need to get my starter out & fed. It's been 10 days or more. Still got a loaf in the freezer from the last bake too. With tomato production in full swing and a bunch of my buckboard bacon, need to get it out for some BLTs.

Hey Ben, how is that little future brewing assistant coming along? Must be getting close!
Still fermenting per se?
Yep not long now Craig! Wife is popping at the seems living with a pregnant woman is exciting and scary at the same time:p!
I'm always looking for something good to do around the house incase I get lined up in her crosshairs :D.
Any winging or bitching from me these days is absolutely pointless she just fires well you ain't the one carrying around a BOWLING BALL!!!
Me yes honey:eek: sneaks off tail between the legs to go fold the cloathes :p:p

Oh, it just gets better, and better Ben!

Yep not long now Craig! Wife is popping at the seems living with a pregnant woman is exciting and scary at the same time:p!
I'm always looking for something good to do around the house incase I get lined up in her crosshairs :D.
Any winging or bitching from me these days is absolutely pointless she just fires well you ain't the one carrying around a BOWLING BALL!!!

Didn't know you were an expectant father Ben. Congrats! The first is always hard. After that, you get used to the ire. Now get back to the laundry and then wash the dishes :)

Didn't know you were an expectant father Ben. Congrats! The first is always hard. After that, you get used to the ire. Now get back to the laundry and then wash the dishes :)
Cheers Bob should have a wriggling crying crapping sleep depriving baby in my arms by end of August not long now:eek:

Just some quick loaves tonight. The dough was a bit thicker and I kneaded it more, which felt nice. The biga and poolish always felt a bit delicate for me to manhandle.
Also baked them on a sheet instead of Dutch oven. Put a baking pan with some water underneath it in the oven. Also brushed the loaves with water before putting them in
We'll see how they look on the inside after they cool
1595552563169736615677459565635.jpg
15955525958458929122390357759520.jpg

Just some quick loaves tonight. The dough was a bit thicker and I kneaded it more, which felt nice. The biga and poolish always felt a bit delicate for me to manhandle.
Also baked them on a sheet instead of Dutch oven. Put a baking pan with some water underneath it in the oven. Also brushed the loaves with water before putting them in
We'll see how they look on the inside after they cool
View attachment 11015 View attachment 11016
Very Nice indeed lovely brown crust got some good rise in them too.

Congrats Ben!
My 2nd grandchild was due 3 days ago, so I'm excited and waiting patiently! haha

Thankyou @The Brew Mentor I'm imagining hopefully wrong that my brewing is going to take a hit:oops:

Today's bake got a bit carried away with the Larm. Pent up frustration....
20200726_173607.jpg

Oh that was a 250c right through bake forgot to turn down on second half.

Back