Bread Thread!

First time I'd tried a baguette for a while. I'm happy. Trick seems to be blending the bread flour I use with all-purpose flour.

I have a sourdough boule proofing now for a night time bake. This time, I am using KAF bread flour in place of all purpose. About 1/6 of the flour is KAF white whole wheat. I’ll post a photo when it’s done.

I have a sourdough boule in the oven for a visit with the in-laws later today, and another sourdough batch in the bowl rising for baking tomorrow. I really like the King Arthur No Knead Sourdough recipe, and am getting the hang of a good, consistent process. My starter is well fed and happy.

I looked up this "King Arthur No Knead Sourdough" recipe, it calls for diastatic malt powder. Is this the same thing as dry malt extract?

I looked up this "King Arthur No Knead Sourdough" recipe, it calls for diastatic malt powder. Is this the same thing as dry malt extract?
I think so, but not sure, and I don’t use it, yet.
Here is tonight’s bread
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Nope. It's effectively ground, dehusked malt.

have a 50% whole wheat biga loaf proofing with some oats in the proofing bowl. Excited to see how that turns out.
The other loaf is proofing in the fridge for pizza tomorrow.
I think I'm sort of getting the hang of this timing thing down

Nice crumb.
The kitchen stays about 75 degrees day & night this time of year, so a bit hot to leave a biga overnight. Will feed my starter at about 4 AM tomorrow and do the biga at about 9:00. Plan on baking at 7 or 8 in the evening. All unbleached AP for the biga and then whole wheat for the final loaf.

Nice crumb.
The kitchen stays about 75 degrees day & night this time of year, so a bit hot to leave a biga overnight. Will feed my starter at about 4 AM tomorrow and do the biga at about 9:00. Plan on baking at 7 or 8 in the evening. All unbleached AP for the biga and then whole wheat for the final loaf.
Thanks! Its definitely not as dense as it looks and has a really nice spring to it
I did the same mix for mine, and I'm not quite sure I incorporated the wheat into the biga enough. But there's always next time

I plan on experimenting with a local mills flour for a couple of loafs tomorrow. https://fowlermill.com/shopping/flours/
I haven't baked in a while with everything going on with the build-out and my recent move.
I think I'm going to bake on my Weber grill to keep the heat outside. Tomorrow in my neck of the woods, it'll be 95°.
Cheers,
Brian

The only time we've seen the bottom side of 95 here lately is at night. I'd imagine 95 here in the desert is a lot more comfortable than where you are though. Our humidity has been in the single digits, which makes 100 feel pretty comfortable.

Yeah, we're running at about 85% humidity!
Maybe that'll help with the crust! ah-ha
;-)

I.
I think I'm going to bake on my Weber grill to keep the heat outside. Tomorrow in my neck of the woods, it'll be 95°.
Cheers,
Brian

Great idea! Please do a write up Brian! I'm assuming you'll be using a dutch oven in the Weber??

Tried something a little different. Made a biga with 100% white flour, split into thirds. 2 of them went into loaf pans. Baked nicely but stupid me wanted some more color on the top. So on goes the broiler, set a timer for 2 mins. By the time I smell a nicely toasted loaf and get up, I start to smell horrible burning...
15951765127731188850356909084218.jpg

Tried something a little different. Made a biga with 100% white flour, split into thirds. 2 of them went into loaf pans. Baked nicely but stupid me wanted some more color on the top. So on goes the broiler, set a timer for 2 mins. By the time I smell a nicely toasted loaf and get up, I start to smell horrible burning...
View attachment 10944

The Maillard reaction on steroids :) Charcoal is good for your digestion? OOPS!

View attachment 10944
Dam they look the goods too.
I'd still eat them charcoal and all like bob said that'll bind you up boy:D.

Well, things went very different than I expected today.
I used the flour and yeast from the local mill and everything went much quicker than expected.
I made up the dough at about 7:15 this morning and then headed off to church. By the time I got home from church (9 ish), the dough had already doubled! I then gave it a good folding but the dough still felt a little loose and a bit sticky. I went outside to work for a while and when I came back in at 11, the dough had risen over the top of my bowl! At that point, i figured I had better just get it into an oven because it was reacting very quickly. I folded it again to try to stiffen it up a bit and then dumped it out onto a floured counter. I divided and moved it to 2 bowls to proof, turned on the oven to 450° aero-bake and put a cookie sheet on the bottom rack for a moisture pan. At this point I didn't have time to preheat my dutch oven, so i just got 2 loaf pans and a pizza pan ready with an oil wipe and a dusting of flour. Th bread proofed in under 30 minutes, so into the oven it went at about 11:45.
25 minutes later, I shut the oven off because it looked finished on the outside. At 40 minutes total time, I pulled the bread out of the oven. I got a very strange rise on the dough I put on the pizza pan, but it came out fine.
About 1 pm, I sliced 1 of the loafs. The crust is really nice with a good firm skin, and the inside is super soft.
In the end, I made bread. It's not the best looking, but the overall bread may be one of the best I've had!
I'll get some pictures up later.
Cheers,
Brian

Last edited:

Back