Bread Thread!

just a quick bread this morning. Rye, wheat, and regular flour. Some cornmeal, molasses and brown sugar. And some raisins in this little guy. Have a bigger loaf still going in the oven
15926600992554601629315136885639.jpg

I have a sourdough boule in the oven for a visit with the in-laws later today, and another sourdough batch in the bowl rising for baking tomorrow. I really like the King Arthur No Knead Sourdough recipe, and am getting the hang of a good, consistent process. My starter is well fed and happy.

Nice looking loaf.
Gonna do a Dutch oven loaf on the Traeger tomorrow. It's too damn hot to bake inside. Starter has developed a nice tartness, so hoping the bread will have a good tang to it.

Nice! I think the poolish are my favorite. The biggah (sp) out of Flour Water Salt Yeast is also outstanding.
Yeah I got that book a few weeks ago, trying to find time to plan to bake. Not used to having to prep a bit before actually baking, I'm used to the timing and flow of cooking or brewing

Gonna have to try one. or both, of those. My doughs are fermenting out and have nothing left when proofing. Breads getting no spring in the oven and turning out too dense.

Gonna have to try one. or both, of those. My doughs are fermenting out and have nothing left when proofing. Breads getting no spring in the oven and turning out too dense.
I wish I could give advise but I can't. I wonder if you could be over proofing?

Yep their tricky things them sour dough it's all about timing. Also if it's warmer the main proof time will happen quicker so you have to shape for the bake earlier.
Have you tried retarding the dough.
So that's shaping the dough and put in proofing basket then put that in a big plastic bag and pop it in the fridge next morn or that arvo take it out right when your oven is ready to bake and slap it In then. You should get some good spring then.

@thunderwagn It looks like the problem is in the initial ferment. I'm getting almost no rise during proofing. Debating on whether to try a shorter ferment or using less starter.
@Trialben Yep, pretty sure timing is the problem. Pretty well caught up on projects around the house, so it'll be easier to work around the bread scheduling.

Have a look at this sweetheart boys and Girls
20200630_172914.jpg

650g
15%rye
75%hydration
15% active starter.

@BOB357 I know you were having troubles with the oven spring. With this one I had about a 50% rise in the bulk proofing overnight so it only doubled by half. Then in the morning I dug it out onto the bench shaped it into a boul then put it in a cloth lined bowl tucked it in a plastic bag and poped it in the fridge until this arvo.

I baked in my cast iron skillet highest heat 250c 20mins then took lid off skillet and baked a further 20mins uncovered @200c.
20200630_191727.jpg

The Crumb shot

Stoked with this one!

Last edited:

Back