Bottling from Primary Fermenter

You may want to consider krausen build up and blow off. The impact being any thing else but CO2, specifically krausen, from going into the priming bucket/gas reservoir. You may want to look at your tank sizes and make the fermentation tank larger than the priming bucket. Remember, the darker brew tend to have more blow off so you brew may differ. Keep going! You have my interest!

You may want to consider krausen build up and blow off. The impact being any thing else but CO2, specifically krausen, from going into the priming bucket/gas reservoir.

Indeed this is true and that’s the reason I added the inline filter here to catch any overactive fermentation (Krausen). It also unscrews for emptying.

FC29C701-AC61-48B4-855A-17A50859413F.jpeg

Closed System Experiment

Ok so brewed my beer over weekend and tested my new setup. All seems to have gone well. The fermentation is feeding CO2 to the Bottling Bucket which has the priming solution in. I primed the bottling bucket first with a quick burst from a CO2 bulb using the pin valve (seen at back of bucket below).

4431AFAC-6CA9-482A-833A-46822F7F3B5A.jpeg

Only 1 issue (which is not a major one and will be sorted for next time) is that there must not be a proper seal on one of my connections as there is not enough pressure to actually push the water down and bubble. I was not able to get hold of some metal washers due to not being in stock could be the cause of this.

5C7E891E-85DF-4D14-B2C8-7AFA0D4C620B.jpeg

I shall add more updates when it comes to bottling.

That is super cleaver. Collects the co2 in the bottle bucket! Nice.

Once you get your leaky connecter sorted. I would say you could skip the co2 burst into the bottle bucket, o2 won't effect sugar water.

I'm sure you did, but make sure you boil the priming sugar ahead of time. Since it is sitting there the whole fermentation time. Super sweet water would be ripe for bacteria

That is super cleaver. Collects the co2 in the bottle bucket! Nice.

Once you get your leaky connecter sorted. I would say you could skip the co2 burst into the bottle bucket, o2 won't effect sugar water.

I'm sure you did, but make sure you boil the priming sugar ahead of time. Since it is sitting there the whole fermentation time. Super sweet water would be ripe for bacteria

Thanks.

Yep boiled the sugar solution first.

So you reckon not to bother with a CO2 burst?
I suppose it depends on how quickly the fermentation takes to start, I just wanted to play safe. :)

Thanks.

Yep boiled the sugar solution first.

So you reckon not to bother with a CO2 burst?
I suppose it depends on how quickly the fermentation takes to start, I just wanted to play safe. :)
It certainly won't hurt, but highly doubt it would make even a small difference. The way you have that setup, after you get your leak fixed, you will fill the bottom bucket with co2 from the fermentation.

Also, can't tell from the picture. Does the fill hose from the fermenter go to the bottom on the bottle bucket?

I make small batches and stay primitive ;)
I put sugar per bottle. I use the smallest of the set of measuring spoons: 1/8 th.
3 for 500 ml bottle.
I use an auto syphon for bottling as not all my fermenters have a spigot. Not the easiest, but it works.
Remember: I do small batches
I quite often re-use the trub in the fermenter by pouring new wort on it. I got scared of the bottling via the spigot, as I couldn't clean it in between.
That's why I like my Speidel if I'm reusing the yeast. I keep a spare spigot, just unscrew the dirty one and screw on a new clean/sanisized one and you're good to go.

I don't worry about purging if I'm bottle conditioning, I figure the tiny bit of O2 in the bottle will be scrubbed by the yeast anyway(I am careful not to splach in exsessive air though).

Last edited:
All right all you beer making engineering chemists out there,
How many cubic feet of CO2 is produced per gallon ( or sg/gal?) Of fermenting wort?

Also, can't tell from the picture. Does the fill hose from the fermenter go to the bottom on the bottle bucket?

yes, there is a pipe on the inside which goes all the way down to the priming solution. It has a small slit (above solution level) to allow CO2 up to purge it.

1E9DF612-FA0A-4E48-8021-7DD935F745FA.jpeg

Back