Bottle Conditioning Lagers

Discussion in 'Beginners Brewing Forum' started by BilltownBrewingCo, Jan 30, 2019.

1. BilltownBrewingCo

BilltownBrewingCo Active Member

Real Estate Development
    Hello all- Brewed a Maibock 10 days ago. Just ramped it up to diactyl rest temps.

However, my question today is in regards to bottling the beer after I have lagered. I would like the beer to be exceptionally clear, so after a few days at current 65 degrees, I will lower it down to 50 degrees, then transfer to the secondary for lagering and add some gelatin.

I then plan on lagering the beer for at least 2 months in that secondary (ramping down 5 degrees per day to get to 38 degrees).

I do not have the ability to keg the beer, and will bottle. With the beer being fined with gelatin, I am concerned that the yeasts may not be active enough to carbonate. Should I pitch a half packet of yeast(34/70 to match original) with bottling sugar? If so, will that ruin the work done getting the beer clear with the gelatin and lagering?

2. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

They will carbonate and your beer will be fine. Many a fine beer is "lagered" in the bottle! Don't pitch more yeast.

BilltownBrewingCo likes this.
  3. philjohnwilliams

philjohnwilliams Well-Known Member

My procedure for bottle conditioning lagers is to bottle after the D-rest and fermentation is complete. I let the bottles carbonate at room temp for about two weeks, then once carbed they go into the fridge to lager. I don't use gelatin, but I find that after 6+ weeks in the cold they are brilliantly clear.

BilltownBrewingCo and J A like this.
  4. Hogarthe

Hogarthe Well-Known Member

Even with gelatin some yeast will still be in the beer. You shouldn't need to add more.

5. BilltownBrewingCo

BilltownBrewingCo Active Member

Real Estate Development
    I ended up using this method due to carboy constraints. The beer tasted finished after 21 days in the primary, 2 weeks at 50*, then a few days ramping up to 65* for D-rest (4 days). Gravity was at 1.010. Now bottle conditioning at 68* for two weeks, will spend all of the end of Feb, March, and into april at near freezing.

Thanks all for the advice!