BilltownBrewingCo

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all- Brewed a Maibock 10 days ago. Just ramped it up to diactyl rest temps.

However, my question today is in regards to bottling the beer after I have lagered. I would like the beer to be exceptionally clear, so after a few days at current 65 degrees, I will lower it down to 50 degrees, then transfer to the secondary for lagering and add some gelatin.

I then plan on lagering the beer for at least 2 months in that secondary (ramping down 5 degrees per day to get to 38 degrees).

I do not have the ability to keg the beer, and will bottle. With the beer being fined with gelatin, I am concerned that the yeasts may not be active enough to carbonate. Should I pitch a half packet of yeast(34/70 to match original) with bottling sugar? If so, will that ruin the work done getting the beer clear with the gelatin and lagering?

They will carbonate and your beer will be fine. Many a fine beer is "lagered" in the bottle! Don't pitch more yeast.

My procedure for bottle conditioning lagers is to bottle after the D-rest and fermentation is complete. I let the bottles carbonate at room temp for about two weeks, then once carbed they go into the fridge to lager. I don't use gelatin, but I find that after 6+ weeks in the cold they are brilliantly clear.

Even with gelatin some yeast will still be in the beer. You shouldn't need to add more.

My procedure for bottle conditioning lagers is to bottle after the D-rest and fermentation is complete. I let the bottles carbonate at room temp for about two weeks, then once carbed they go into the fridge to lager. I don't use gelatin, but I find that after 6+ weeks in the cold they are brilliantly clear.
I ended up using this method due to carboy constraints. The beer tasted finished after 21 days in the primary, 2 weeks at 50*, then a few days ramping up to 65* for D-rest (4 days). Gravity was at 1.010. Now bottle conditioning at 68* for two weeks, will spend all of the end of Feb, March, and into april at near freezing.

Thanks all for the advice!

Back