Best lager yeast for warmer fermentation

BeerWolf

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I will soon brew a modern lager, somewhat more hoppy than my usual lagers. I will brew it a bit warmer (have limited cooling in my garage), between 15-20 degree celcius. Unceratin about best yeast string, to avoid side effects.
Any suggestions?
Best
BeerWolf

Try a google search using Warm Fermented Lager. You will get a zillion returns. Most will be talking about fermenter at ale temps, but some will address kveik as well.

S-189 turns out fantastic. I just used it twice, at room temp, love it. No off-flavors, very clean, even warm.
Sounds interesting, I will check. Thanks.

Thanks, I heard of this one. There is currently a bit of shortage of it at my local supplier. Thanks though.

34/70 is an old stand by for this purpose, 62-68F. If you can, pressure ferment to keep the esters in check. 7-15 psi will do the trick.
Lagers at warmer temperatures turn out, but still taste like a really clean ales. Lager yeasts at warm temperatures do not produce much in the way of sulfur. A lot of sulfur is not desirable, but a little adds a subtle character that distinguishes it as a lager.

Good luck!

34/70 is an old stand by for this purpose, 62-68F. If you can, pressure ferment to keep the esters in check. 7-15 psi will do the trick.
Lagers at warmer temperatures turn out, but still taste like a really clean ales. Lager yeasts at warm temperatures do not produce much in the way of sulfur. A lot of sulfur is not desirable, but a little adds a subtle character that distinguishes it as a lager.

Good luck!
Thanks, sounds interesting.

Any Fermentis dry lager yeast will give you good results. I've had Kveik lagers and blondes that were "clean" but definitely lacked the flavor profile that I think a lager should have. German strains are better for that, even at slightly warm temps.
Your temp range will be fine but a major consideration is to keep the temperature consistent throughout the fermentation. Temperatures rising and falling by several degrees is stressful on any yeast. If nothing else, put the fermenter in a tub of water so that the fluctuations will be held to a minimum.

Any Fermentis dry lager yeast will give you good results. I've had Kveik lagers and blondes that were "clean" but definitely lacked the flavor profile that I think a lager should have. German strains are better for that, even at slightly warm temps.
Your temp range will be fine but a major consideration is to keep the temperature consistent throughout the fermentation. Temperatures rising and falling by several degrees is stressful on any yeast. If nothing else, put the fermenter in a tub of water so that the fluctuations will be held to a minimum.
Thanks, I have put some ice on the top and on the sides. The temperature is a bit high (18 celcius) but stable. On another note, would you suggest when the temperature falls to a more normal level within a week or so (when the fermentation starts to end), should I allow that or heat it back to the current temp to deal with the diacetyl?

Thanks, I have put some ice on the top and on the sides. The temperature is a bit high (18 celcius) but stable. On another note, would you suggest when the temperature falls to a more normal level within a week or so (when the fermentation starts to end), should I allow that or heat it back to the current temp to deal with the diacetyl?
I forgot to say that I used wlp840 (american lager) in the end, perhaps not optimal but I will report the results asap.

[QUOTE="On another note, would you suggest when the temperature falls to a more normal level within a week or so (when the fermentation starts to end), should I allow that or heat it back to the current temp to deal with the diacetyl?[/QUOTE]
I do

After fermenting at 18 you won't have any diacetyl to deal with.

Back