Bent Nail 2.0

Got the new 3 element heater wired. The system will be able to control each of the (3) 1500 watt elements individually.

20230715_155405.jpg
20230715_160438.jpg

been a while since I did anything with this. since I am adding the mash stirring paddle I decided to add the control to the system. while I was at it, decided to rewire the cludge for the heat exchanger. (it is sharing an output with the Herms heater) This required adding a 3rd DIO module as well as an update to the software.

just have to mount it and wire it in to the rest of the system

20240213_105916.jpg
20240213_114933.jpg

Last edited:
been a while since I did anything with this. since I am adding the mash stirring paddle I decided to add the control to the system. while I was at it, decided to rewire the cludge for the heat exchanger. (it is sharing an output with the Herms heater) This required adding a 3rd DIO module as well as an update to the software.

just have to mount it and wire it in to the rest of the system

View attachment 28442View attachment 28443
Way over my head!

Way over my head!
basically the DIO module turns the relays on and off. the brewing software sends commands to the DIO module via ethernet. allows you to remote control just about anything. it can also be used as input. so sensors and switches. that model doesnt do analog.

Last edited:
Got this to try out. It has (3) 1500 watt 240vac elements. Once you remove all those jumpers they can be controlled independently.

They are 316 stainless, so should be easier to clean than the current ones (just plain water heater elements)

View attachment 25624 View attachment 25625
Where did you pick up that element? Looks interesting.

Redid the mixer. The connection to it before was just a cross pin that hit the "D" on the drive shaft of the motor. Did not really work too well. So i bought a small pulley, that was actually designed to mount to the shaft. And connected the mixer assembly to that.

Old setup

20240204_140712.jpg

New setup

Mixer Video

20240416_093416.jpg

1713280787361.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow i am impressed! I enjoy reading what you are doing, I wish i was handy like this.

Wow i am impressed! I enjoy reading what you are doing, I wish i was handy like this.
thanks, lol. not as pretty as it was in mind. but when all you have is a drill press and an angle grinder. you make due, lol.

:p thanks, lol. not as pretty as it was in mind. but when all you have is a drill press and an angle grinder. you make due, lol.
Hm, I can plainly also see a wood chisel there. You have more tools than you think...

Hm, I can plainly also see a wood chisel there. You have more tools than you think...
for wood, yes lol.

I really want a 3 axis milling machine. nothing as big as a bridgport, but something to shape metal would be fun.

I saw your video on facebook, nice work... considering you have one wood chisel, one drill bit, and one miter box ;)

Back