Bent Nail 2.0

some people asked for a video detailing the biuld after it was done. if you have any questions or comments, please do.

some people asked for a video detailing the biuld after it was done. if you have any questions or comments, please do.

Wow that is in-depth dude cool.
Hey what is the temp difference between your thermo probe temp in the kettle as opposed to the rims tube?
I think that's where you had the other temp probe.

I look forward to a build vid on your glycol/fermentation rig once it's untangled lol!

What do you mash into a basket or bag or do you have a perforated screen at bottom of kettle?

Wow that is in-depth dude cool.
Hey what is the temp difference between your thermo probe temp in the kettle as opposed to the rims tube?
I think that's where you had the other temp probe.

I look forward to a build vid on your glycol/fermentation rig once it's untangled lol!

What do you mash into a basket or bag or do you have a perforated screen at bottom of kettle?

its after the HERMs coil. it really depends on the temp of the HLT water. if I heat the kettle to 126°F and then start recircing to heat the HLT water, it will be about 90° coming out of the HERMs coil. of course the mash kettle temp drops as the cooler water goes back in as well. once it is up and running there is not more than a couple degree difference. ussualy the HERMs temp is a little higher to maintain the mash temp.

I made a SS mesh basket that I put my BIAB bag into. its about 2 inches less diameter than the boil kettle, so it drains very nicely.

Have you tried turning the pump on? Does the table amplify the pump noise?
now that I had a chance to use it. it is silent. just a slight hum that you would expect from any pump.

its after the HERMs coil. it really depends on the temp of the HLT water. if I heat the kettle to 126°F and then start recircing to heat the HLT water, it will be about 90° coming out of the HERMs coil. of course the mash kettle temp drops as the cooler water goes back in as well. once it is up and running there is not more than a couple degree difference. ussualy the HERMs temp is a little higher to maintain the mash temp.

I made a SS mesh basket that I put my BIAB bag into. its about 2 inches less diameter than the boil kettle, so it drains very nicely.
Cool I've been thinking of the same thing with my all in one keg kettle.

But I'm thinking there has gotta be someone online building them to specific kettle dimensions...

Your an inspiration Minibari thanks again for inviting us into your homebrewery sooo cool!

Adding to the new system already. :p

Sensor will detect presence of water. Will stop the pump before it runs dry when doing the herms recirc during mash. (Due to stuck sparge)

20220722_125501.jpg

Output from sensor with no water
20220722_125522.jpg

Output in water
20220722_125541.jpg

20220722_125546.jpg

Last edited:
That beats the mechanical ones I've seen Less intrusive in the kettle too.
Love that braided electrical cord too you sure get the goods man!
I know! It took me a while to find that. $12 for 3 of em too. I tested it next to metal, mesh, etc. it only triggers if there is liquid. the prism refracts light from the IR LED inside the sensor

Its actually a sleeve. :p I got three different sizes so all the wires would look the same.

I know! It took me a while to find that. $12 for 3 of em too. I tested it next to metal, mesh, etc. it only triggers if there is liquid. the prism refracts light from the IR LED inside the sensor

Its actually a sleeve. :p I got three different sizes so all the wires would look the same.
Cool hey so your wire that in on 12v side or 240v side?

Any chance you could link me the product might install one on my kettle then if their that cheap.

What do they say cheap insurance against a burnt out element.

Most time cleaning the kettle is when I near burn out the element I'd I've not filled it up above element...

Cool hey so your wire that in on 12v side or 240v side?

Any chance you could link me the product might install one on my kettle then if their that cheap.

What do they say cheap insurance against a burnt out element.

Most time cleaning the kettle is when I near burn out the element I'd I've not filled it up above element...

its technically a 5VDC device, but it uses so little current, you can make a simple voltage divider to power it from 12VDC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075R6SSHJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is how to wire it up:

output.png

It's where I got the idea. :p
Haha yea that makes sense :) let me know if you have any questions about it. I stream on Twitch using OBS, but I know other streamers have had success on YouTube live and reddit

Got this to try out. It has (3) 1500 watt 240vac elements. Once you remove all those jumpers they can be controlled independently.

They are 316 stainless, so should be easier to clean than the current ones (just plain water heater elements)

20230602_161912.jpg
20230602_161928.jpg

Back