Bent Nail 2.0

Just force the cover down, never mind the bulge!
Well, it ain't like he's dealing with 4160V or 13800V power like some of the stuff I had to cram in a box that was way too small, so a little bulge won't hurt. Looks like he knows the definition of a blivit, though. I keep telling myself every time I look in the mirror that a little bulge doesn't hurt.

Must be some electrical engineer in his blood. Pretty neat wiring work, and stuffing everything possible into each box. Well done, indeed. Neat is a good thing, and sure helps down the road for troubleshooting. Did you (are you) making any drawings for that as you build it? I'd bet there's more than one brewer out there that would pay pretty good money for one like it.

I love fabricating things as well, but just don't have the time yet. Still catching up on all the honey-dos that piled up in a 40 year career of engineering, fabricating, installing, and inspecting things for someone else. Never had time for my own projects. Now I do, except for the little problem of all the other higher priority projects it takes to modernize a 50 year old house and clear up a couple acres that have been feral for 50 years. You know, that business before pleasure thing.

But I get some pretty darn good ideas in this forum, that's for sure.

This thing will definitely give a lot more control over temperature since it's analog and not waiting for a min/max temp to occur and close a contact. Anything that uses binary inputs for control will naturally oscillate. Can't stop it. A good PID loop with a little bit of integral gain will/should control the temperature within a degree or two of setpoint quite easily, possibly closer depending on the resolution and full scale of the inputs. Now ya gotta do the graphics showing the volumes, piping, pump status, heater/chiller status, etc. etc. etc. One word. Wonderware. One of the best HMI packages I've ever seen. Might be a little pricy, though. Haven't looked at it lately, but put a lot of HMI systems in with it through my career. I'm watching this now.

yes sir, was a electronics tech and systems integration eng for 15 years. I did do schematics, I think they are up to date with changes made along the way. I dont do rev control like a real company would, but at least I have something to look at in case things go sideways. I have thought of the posibility of marketing this if it works well, kinda like a kit. control box and relay box pre-wired for your brewery. you just hook up heating and temp sensors. maybe someday.

I hear ya, I do thing at whatever pace I can, sometimes it takes a long time to get things done, lol.

Never have used that, heard of it. I have 10+ years experience on labview and since I have a copy of that, its what I am using for the control program.
brewery_page1.png
brewery_page2.png

Wow thats some hi-tech work. Looks great. Very impressive. Cant wait to see the trial run video

Wow thats some hi-tech work. Looks great. Very impressive. Cant wait to see the trial run video
I definitely plan on making one

Well, it ain't like he's dealing with 4160V or 13800V power like some of the stuff I had to cram in a box that was way too small, so a little bulge won't hurt. Looks like he knows the definition of a blivit, though. I keep telling myself every time I look in the mirror that a little bulge doesn't hurt.
highest I ever messed with was 408VAC. got zapped by that once, had to just about change my shorts, lol.

Not wrong about Tight!
Wow that is a work of art.
I know! Had to check the switch clearances to make sure they didn't hit anything when the cover is closed. Have about a 1/4" on the power switch lol

I know! Had to check the switch clearances to make sure they didn't hit anything when the cover is closed. Have about a 1/4" on the power switch lol
Is there a fan in there to cool things?

Oh look at that flash soldering iron setup. Very pro man!
Ya got tired of the crappy weller irons I had bought for years. As with many things, having good gear helps.

Back