Beer pet peeves

You got a quick reply on me. I deleted it shortly after I posted it, having realized nosy already made the same point.

Gotta practice your quick draw :)

Well this conversation took an unexpected twist .
Drunky pants Mark has a lot to answer to , he gets to spend a lot more money than I can and gets to do more fun stuff .
My home town is a bit strange in that we cram nearly all of our major events into 6 weeks between our fringe festival , opening round of our V8 touring car series , women's festival and writers week all run during " mad march "
Drunky pants Mark attends anything but sober Marky is the one dealing with hangovers , work and bills and extracting myself from awkward dawn meetings

Well this conversation took an unexpected twist .
Drunky pants Mark has a lot to answer to , he gets to spend a lot more money than I can and gets to do more fun stuff .
My home town is a bit strange in that we cram nearly all of our major events into 6 weeks between our fringe festival , opening round of our V8 touring car series , women's festival and writers week all run during " mad march "
Drunky pants Mark attends anything but sober Marky is the one dealing with hangovers , work and bills and extracting myself from awkward dawn meetings
Full disclosure, been there, done that. And fuller disclosure, it was a LONG time ago!

I've had a few Monday meetings at work where I really wish I wasn't there. well I have a lot of those, but some of them are specific to this hobby.

People that talk out of both sides of their ass preaching theory and best practice like fact with no real proof, but just because it makes them feel better.

Last edited:
People that talk out of both sides of their ass preaching theory and best practice like fact with no real proof, but just because it makes them feel better.
On the internets ? Frankly I'm shocked and appalled ! Any fool can make an assertion but it takes a prize fool to argue with actual experts .
We had one in my old brewing club but I stitched him up good by handing him a fresh, well handled bottle of Grolsch and told him it was a kit based lager .
I'm sure the QA staff at Grolsch would be horrified to find their beers are underpitched , fermented too warm and display classic kit twang

I had my first examples of some actual bad beers with what I'm told is bad oxygenation in a commercial beer last night. It was repulsive, an IPA with no hop aroma and tasted like boiled socks. I had one sip and poured the rest out. It was at the homebrew group event and someone brought it in to see if he was insane.

I had my first examples of some actual bad beers with what I'm told is bad oxygenation in a commercial beer last night. It was repulsive, an IPA with no hop aroma and tasted like boiled socks. I had one sip and poured the rest out. It was at the homebrew group event and someone brought it in to see if he was insane.
"Bring In Your Worst Mistake?" I've done that a time or two, just to illustrate what a mistake ends up tasting like.

I had to serve my worst mistake with an umbrella. It tasted fine, though.

No oddly enough, it was a commercial beer and he just wanted to verify that he hadn't lost his sense of taste.

I'd never heard of the brewery before but damn.

I'm spending a lot of free time here instead of another forum for just that reason. A cry baby, know it all that whines when he gets bad karma and will argue with great home brewers and professionals too. I can only take so much of that $hit without getting paid.

I'm spending a lot of free time here instead of another forum for just that reason. A cry baby, know it all that whines when he gets bad karma and will argue with great home brewers and professionals too. I can only take so much of that $hit without getting paid.

yep Trolls are bad on some brewing forums, I feel the same way, my belief is treat people just like a sales position

" help, encourage, smile, the customer is always right, otherwise don't talk"

My ass only has one side. I just checked in the mirror. I talk out of it just fine though.

Just thinking out loud based on some of the comments above .. there are instant experts everywhere. Whether talking, beer, theology, politics, baseball, meat smokin'. The best thing about any forum is when people speak from their own experience rather than somebody else's. I can talk about BIAB and ales, but if I start spouting about lagers and 3 vessel brewing, then I am just pontificating. I have experience with BIAB and ales ... not the other.

My ass only has one side. I just checked in the mirror. I talk out of it just fine though.

Just thinking out loud based on some of the comments above .. there are instant experts everywhere. Whether talking, beer, theology, politics, baseball, meat smokin'. The best thing about any forum is when people speak from their own experience rather than somebody else's. I can talk about BIAB and ales, but if I start spouting about lagers and 3 vessel brewing, then I am just pontificating. I have experience with BIAB and ales ... not the other.
I agree. I get leery anytime someone says something is unquestionably the best (or only) way that something should be done.

Back