Base Malt comparison project

Crystal Ball 10 is ready. There's an off flavor to it like the yeast were stressed...I think this fermentation went a little whacky. It's possible that it will go away with time. I saved a bottle of Base Jumper 2 Row to compare this beer to. This beer is 90% 2 row and 10% caramel 10, Base Jumper is 100% 2 row, and hops and yeast were the same.
View attachment 21837
Ah bugger been there few times myself it sux for sure!

For your sake I hope whatever it is does fade away but I've found they rarely do.
hey but my current beefed up mild I truly was contemplating dumping this in favour for a free keg and better beer but man its melded into something fantastic!
hoping to enter this into the Queensland amateur brew comp and see what the judges think.
Gotta pull my finger out on this one though entries have to be recieved by 2 September :eek::p

For your sake I hope whatever it is does fade away but I've found they rarely do.
hey but my current beefed up mild I truly was contemplating dumping this in favour for a free keg and better beer but man its melded into something fantastic!
hoping to enter this into the Queensland amateur brew comp and see what the judges think.
Gotta pull my finger out on this one though entries have to be recieved by 2 September :eek::p
Haha bottle it now while you've still got some!

Crystal Ball 10 is ready. There's an off flavor to it like the yeast were stressed...I think this fermentation went a little whacky. It's possible that it will go away with time. I saved a bottle of Base Jumper 2 Row to compare this beer to. This beer is 90% 2 row and 10% caramel 10, Base Jumper is 100% 2 row, and hops and yeast were the same.
View attachment 21837
Are you still using the same yeast? If so, maybe it's time for a fresh pitch.

I've had that happen with safale04.
Starting off with an odd flavor, and then after ~3 weeks cold, it's a different beer.
Actually, I stopped using it for that reason.
And definitely bottle some off as I've heard kegs run dry quickly in your neck of the woods!

If it's kegged, you can warm up the keg and then add a bit of sugar to it to get the yeast active which will help clean it up.
I'd give it a week at warm temps. Just be careful to not over carb

Crystal Ball with Victory malt. Needs some conditioning time, but I'm rather pleased with it. Not sure how I would describe the victory malt addition but I'm enjoying it!
20220825_134636.jpg

That does look tasty.
No biscuity flavours?
Okay I've concluded that the Victory is sweet, biscuity, malty, and a teetch nutty. I used 10% here, which is probably too much to use again. I think it would make a good addition in a malty beer in a smaller amount

Back