Base Malt comparison project

My video will post in a couple of weeks but spoiler Munich was my favorite followed by pale 2 row. I didn't like pilsner at all although it was creamier, and wasn't a huge fan of vienna either
That's interesting - I love Vienna and enjoy Pilsner as well. I saw the video on the Vienna and if I remember right there may have been some yeast flavors at play...

You might be able to get a view of my video before it posts here - depends if the youtube gods are smiling ...
I love Munich Malt. I tend to use Type II dark Munich from Weyermann. What maltster did you use for each malt? I suppose I should try 2-row sometime... But I typically use - Dark Munich, Vienna, Pilsner and Golden Promise as my base malts. I've tried others (Marris Otter, Irish Pale Ale Malt and several types of Wheat Malts) but first four are my go to base malts. American 2-row or Pale Ale malt is something I have never tried... Not sure why.

Did you use the same yeast and hop for each batch?

I'm curious to see what @Sunfire96 finds!

@Sunfire96, I love this experiment and looking forward to your results! Have you thought about using a craft maltster like Mecca Grade, Sugar Creek, etc? Just a thought...especially because it's not my money. :D

@Sunfire96, I love this experiment and looking forward to your results! Have you thought about using a craft maltster like Mecca Grade, Sugar Creek, etc? Just a thought...especially because it's not my money. :D
There's a local maltster here that I'd love to try someday! But it's about $.70/lb more than what the LHBS carries.

I think one of my main goals with this project is finding out which malt I prefer and should use going forward (depending on style, of course). So for my palate, with my process, and at my brewery which of these beers tastes the best? And which malt is going to be best for repeatability? So to me, that's a inexpensive malt that my LHBS will always have no matter what

There's a local maltster here that I'd love to try someday! But it's about $.70/lb more than what the LHBS carries.

I think one of my main goals with this project is finding out which malt I prefer and should use going forward (depending on style, of course). So for my palate, with my process, and at my brewery which of these beers tastes the best? And which malt is going to be best for repeatability? So to me, that's a inexpensive malt that my LHBS will always have no matter what

Same for me too. I'm just curious whether, my beer would taste any better if I used a craft malt. But, I'm not curious enough to spend my own money to find out. However, I will gladly spend other people's money to find out! :)

The smash I did on Sunday is Munich but I have 3 ounces of Cluster in it....no quite what I'd call "lightly hopped" and I should hit 5% so that may put me out....what's the hypothesis? What are you comparing in the bases?

I love all Munich

I got a question for you Josh or any of you regularly using Munich brewers...the LHBS had dark Munich and I took home 10 pounds from the regular bin for my smash that is now floculating and looks more red than the deeper gold 10-12 Morey I expected..is that typical or did they mix up their bins and I got some dark in the bag?

Picked up the golden promise today for my next brew. Here are the prices per pound of base malts at my LHBS:

Briess brewers 2 row $1.29
The Swaen ale malt $1.29
Crisp Maris Otter $1.69
Simpson's Golden Promise $1.89
Weyermann Pilsner $1.49
Weyermann Vienna $1.29
Weyermann Munich Light $1.39
Weyermann Munich Dark $1.39

Hopefully the British pale malts are not my favorite lol

I love this experiment that you are doing. You are providing the community a wonderful service. Now no doubt everyone has different tastes and no doubt different malts might shine in different styles. But getting real world data - from a respected source - as opposed to reading the descriptions that the maltsters want you to believe…well, that is very valuable stuff. To me anyway. Thanks for this.

I love this experiment that you are doing. You are providing the community a wonderful service. Now no doubt everyone has different tastes and no doubt different malts might shine in different styles. But getting real world data - from a respected source - as opposed to reading the descriptions that the maltsters want you to believe…well, that is very valuable stuff. To me anyway. Thanks for this.
Ufda, the pressures on :D

But getting real world data - from a respected source - as opposed to reading the descriptions that the maltsters want you to believe…

Oh yeah...like prices! I'm paying about a buck more per pound here in metro Baltimore!

The MO batch is cold enough to serve, so here's the side by side. Probably some yeast is still in suspension in the MO glass on the left, but I do think the color is slightly darker.

The pale malt aroma is reminiscent of white bread (disregarding the presence of the Citra), while the MO aroma is very similar to the strong cracker smell I was getting during the boil. Mouthfeel is very similar for both (medium-light). There's maybe some nuttiness in the MO, but it's possible I'm also looking for it due to descriptions I've read of MO.

A fun experiment so far! Excited to get the Golden Promise brewed and in the lineup
20220710_214914.jpg

The MO batch is cold enough to serve, so here's the side by side. Probably some yeast is still in suspension in the MO glass on the left, but I do think the color is slightly darker.

The pale malt aroma is reminiscent of white bread (disregarding the presence of the Citra), while the MO aroma is very similar to the strong cracker smell I was getting during the boil. Mouthfeel is very similar for both (medium-light). There's maybe some nuttiness in the MO, but it's possible I'm also looking for it due to descriptions I've read of MO.

A fun experiment so far! Excited to get the Golden Promise brewed and in the lineup
View attachment 21443
Yup looks more Golden the Pale Ale one.
Will be interesting to see how they clear up depending on the malts protine content.
The MO seems to have a great head on it too being that young looks nice and tight on the Foam.

View attachment 21443
How in the world did you take that picture? Third arm maybe?

Cracker and Nut are not far apart to my nose. Depends on the nut type though.

Back