2nd Quarter Brew 2023

I've never used K97, but I love the Lallemand Koln dry yeast

I got sort of the same question as @zafram, just different yeasts in stock: T,-58, S-33, M-47 (Belgian Abbey), and M 31 (Belgian Tripel).

@Megary and @Trialben : what is it about K-97 you don't like?
I only used it once in a Cream Ale, fermented in the mid-upper 60's.

Like @Trialben, I found it very stubborn to clear and also perceived a lemon tartness. Add to that a lager-like sulfur aroma that took a good month or more to dissipate. I'm sure I fouled it up somehow because I know many who like this yeast, but there are too many other choices that have served me well for me to try and figure K-97 out.

Quick advice needed on yeast choice for beach brew 2
T58, S33, Belgian abbey or back to bry 97 like last batch?

And at what temperature?

Ah, previous one was bry 97 and at those temperatures.
Saw the post too late and bry is a starter, so no time to activate.
I went with Belgian Abbaye as Zafram is doing that as well :D

And I didn't adjust hop for the no chill, so I've actually brewed a "before"
(Belgian Bitter Beach Brew) :p

Finally getting some time to brew the Q2 batch. Still planning on splitting it using the S-05 for half and then Abbaye for the other... excited to see the difference in the end!

IMG-2392.jpg

I was skeptical at first, but this brew turned out really good, so I am glad that I made it. As is my option, I made a few slight changes, but stuck with the general recipe. I think I like the use of honey as priming solution (the same PNW wildflower honey that I used in the brewing) adds something subtle. Also, the addition of a thin slice of lemon just took this beer to another level. I want another, but will wait until some other day.

Here's an Early little taster of the GF Beach brew version I brewed
20230626_153459.jpg

My Snifter and tasters are Shot (thanks Covid) but on the palette it's super Crisp and crushable like a sprite or Lemonade type thing I'm getting.

Attachments

• 20230626_154132.jpg
    20230626_154132.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I was skeptical at first, but this brew turned out really good, so I am glad that I made it. As is my option, I made a few slight changes, but stuck with the general recipe. I think I like the use of honey as priming solution (the same PNW wildflower honey that I used in the brewing) adds something subtle. Also, the addition of a thin slice of lemon just took this beer to another level. I want another, but will wait until some other day.

This post makes me happy. This recipe is really outside my norm, but family and friends seem to enjoy it... I'm glad your experience was positive. I've never tried priming with the honey... might try that next time though!

I wasn't able to tap it until the quarter was over, but here are the results nonetheless!

Left one is the S-05, right is Abbaye. Same starting wort, same fermentation time/temp, same carbonation method. OG was 1.040 (missed that target), FG 1.006 on both. It's hard to see in the pic, but the Belgian yeast is a tad less clear, which makes sense.

The S-05 version is clean, subtle lemon, light... perfect for a day at the beach :cool:

The Abbaye version is a nice twist (thanks for the idea!). I think the yeast overtakes the lemon, but still damn tasty. If I were to do this as a standalone batch, I would probably either double the lemon or cut it out altogether.

I can't say which I like better... but I imagine neither will last long. Thanks to all who gave it a try!

beach brew.png

I'm about to finish the last of my 2nd Q2 (with Belgian abbaye yeast as well, M47 though)
@Herm brews: can you taste the honey properly since you used that to carbonate?

I wasn't able to tap it until the quarter was over, but here are the results nonetheless!

Left one is the S-05, right is Abbaye. Same starting wort, same fermentation time/temp, same carbonation method. OG was 1.040 (missed that target), FG 1.006 on both. It's hard to see in the pic, but the Belgian yeast is a tad less clear, which makes sense.

The S-05 version is clean, subtle lemon, light... perfect for a day at the beach :cool:

The Abbaye version is a nice twist (thanks for the idea!). I think the yeast overtakes the lemon, but still damn tasty. If I were to do this as a standalone batch, I would probably either double the lemon or cut it out altogether.

I can't say which I like better... but I imagine neither will last long. Thanks to all who gave it a try!

View attachment 25918
Dam deliciousness right there Zafram.

Yup a very tasty drop indeed.

Thankyou for sharing it with us man I'll definitely be brewing this again I'm sure:)

Actually my next batch will be the same but without the honey but I'll be keeping the orange peal:)

Last edited:
I'm about to finish the last of my 2nd Q2 (with Belgian abbaye yeast as well, M47 though)
@Herm brews: can you taste the honey properly since you used that to carbonate?
I’m not certain whether or not I taste the honey, especially since this is my first batch of this beer. However, carbonation on that brew is nice. I have used honey before to prime cider, and liked the result. The Ginger Ninger that I just bottled got the PNW wildflower honey for priming, too.

Playing a little catch-up. Hopefully will get the Q3 Brown in next.

Q2 Beach Brew ready to boil.

IMG_1268.jpeg

1.045, a couple of points heavy but within reason. Pitched BRY-97 at 63F. Sample had that classic bready sweetness and a nice lemon note from the added zest. Looking forward to this, the last of the Summer beers for the year.

IMG_1270.jpeg

Kegged 2023 Q2 this morning. Like a dependable lad, BRY-97 gave me 80%, finishing at 1.009 for a poundable 4.7% ABV. Looking forward to doing just that Labor Day weekend! :)

IMG_1628.jpeg

Did anyone make Q3 yet?

Back