2nd Quarter Brew 2023

I've just renamed my brew.
It's now golden beach :D
Quite a nice colour.

2x 1 litre pet bottles with sugar for carbonation in the fermentation fridge at 18.5 oC (65 F)
8 litres in the keg. I'm just going to leave it outside attached to the CO2 (at 20 psi) till early morning and then move to fridge. Then give extra bursts of CO2 if needs be.
Currently it's 33 oC, gonna cool down to 19 ( 91 and 66 F resp)

And then put cold and carbonate?

First time trying this, so still quite unsure
Cold absorbs CO2 better, so yes, cold then fizz. But you can put pressure in (to check for leaks) right away. But warm beer doesn't get so fizzy.

I did go a but against it and had it "outside" on CO2, about 18 psi.
Left it overnight. Then this morning I gave it a 30 psi burst and moved it to the 12 volt fridge.
I'll check pressure once it is cold and keep adding co2 in burst during the day.

It will take a bit longer, but it will work.
First glass during the weekend, I hope :cool:

Seems like Golden Beach is working for me.
Beer has cooled down to about 5 oC and I'm reading 14.6 psi, giving me about 2.65 vol CO2 or there abouts.
The thermometer is not very reliable, but it will be time for a taste-test very soon :)

I hadn't posted a picture here yet
IMG_20230507_143350010_HDR.jpg

It is indeed a very easy drinking summer beach beer.
I should let it get a bit more mature as I get a slight (very slight) whiff of sulphur.
But that ain't gonna happen.
My excuse is that we are going into winter.
Close to freezing last night (below 18 oC)
:p

Oh, and like others expected, I can't taste the honey, but my taste buds are not very refined

View attachment 25333
I should let it get a bit more mature as I get a slight (very slight) whiff of sulphur.

Oh, and like others expected, I can't taste the honey, but my taste buds are not very refined
Is that the tail end of an island there in the river?

Well, closer to freezing than to boiling.

Yeah, a sometimes island. More of a sandbank.
Top of pic is Zimbabwe mainland

View attachment 25333

The color turned out pretty awesome... and that view ain't bad either :)

Thanks
It's really coming in its own now.
But my keg is nearing the end (only 8 litres) :(
Got 2 x 1 litre pet bottles in reserve though :D

How do you think this would go with safale T58?
Still got 1/2 pack

So I'm wanting to split the batch with the usual yeast and then something else. Dry yeast options from my local peeps: Safeale K-97 or Lallemand Abbaye. Thoughts?

I don't know either.
I;m interested, also in other suggestions as I want to try this again with one of my Belgium yeasts

So I'm wanting to split the batch with the usual yeast and then something else. Dry yeast options from my local peeps: Safeale K-97 or Lallemand Abbaye. Thoughts?
Abbaye gets my vote. I think this recipe would be very interesting as a Belgian Blonde.

Besides, I thoroughly dislike K-97. :p

Abbaye it is then! The only "dry" Belgian I've used is BE-256 - got a slurry from a local brewery, so it wasn't dry at that point - and while a great strain, I don't think it would go well with this one.

PSA: I love when the local pub is willing to draw off a mason jar's worth of yeast for a homebrewer :D

Abbaye it is then! The only "dry" Belgian I've used is BE-256 - got a slurry from a local brewery, so it wasn't dry at that point - and while a great strain, I don't think it would go well with this one.

PSA: I love when the local pub is willing to draw off a mason jar's worth of yeast for a homebrewer :D
That is a good relationship to have.

My Beach Brew is just relaxing in the fermenter for another week and a half. When it is time to bottle, I will prime with the same honey that was used as a late boil addition - PNW wildflower honey.

I got sort of the same question as @zafram, just different yeasts in stock: T,-58, S-33, M-47 (Belgian Abbey), and M 31 (Belgian Tripel).

@Megary and @Trialben : what is it about K-97 you don't like?

I got sort of the same question as @zafram, just different yeasts in stock: T,-58, S-33, M-47 (Belgian Abbey), and M 31 (Belgian Tripel).

@Megary and @Trialben : what is it about K-97 you don't like?
Personally I just didn't like the results on the kolsch I brewed with this dry German ale yeast.

It is soo slow in flocking out of solution especially if your trying to emulate kolsch crystal clear appearance you gotta wait easy a month or more for it to drop out.

Large krausen be careful on headspace.

Lastly the finishing PH was too low for me leading to a real tart finish - maybe this is what kolsch is supposed to finish like so I'm not sure.

Maybe it was me using the wrong yeast for the wrong beer style maybe better suited for German Alt beer maybe.

I know @Sunfire96 has had good results with this yeast no?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/717899/k97-kolsch
As you see from photo at end of recipie it did clear brite but i just remember it took its royal time

Brew notes on one kolsch I did where I mentioned the tart

"Now that the carbonation has settled this beer is bright and nice and drinkable. A well balanced slightly malty beer. It has a slight tart taste which adds to the beer maybe a Kolsch thing. Well balanced not too bitter a good session beer. Will brew again as is but change put Munich for Vienna."

Back