2nd Quarter Brew 2023

Has anyone started on this one yet?

I got maris otter & pilsner malt
Which would be best to replace the pale ale malt? I was thinking pilsner?

My wheat malt is a bit suspect. All my beers with wheat are turning out much darker than they should be. I even notice it in the boiling pot. I suppose the weevils have now done real damage, although it's now been kept in the freezer

Caravienne? I got amber malt, vienna malt and aromatic malt. And caramalt & crystal?
I think the caramalt is cara 40, so maybe caramalt and using a little less?

Honey? Any type will do? Our local honey is quite dark.

It's definitely going to be quite a different beer from the challenge, but I am trying to stay in the right direction.

Yeast:
I got BRY-97 and a variety of Belgian (dry) yeasts.
Anyone any good suggestions?

I do have Tettnanger though :D:D:D

Depending on my current wheat beer, I may have to buy new. Meaning a trip into town (about 4-5 hours away, so would like to avoid it if I can. On the other hand: I desperately need a haircut....)
I haven't made this yet, mainly because the last beer I brewed prior to this recipe being posted was, of course, a Blonde Ale (with a lot of similarities to the Q2 recipe, except for the honey).

Personally, I'd go with the Maris Otter as a sub for the 2-Row.
I've never used Caravienne so I can't say for sure, but at <3% of the grist I think you would be fine with whatever gets you to your desired color.

Definitely BRY-97 as a replacement for US-05, though this beer would be very intriguing with a Belgian yeast.

Good luck!

OK, Maris otter it will be :)
Yeast: Bry 97 as I still got some old trub in the fridge
Then possibly followed by another batch with a Belgian.

I think this one is going to be in a keg and the other beer that's on the program (Sort of De Konick) will be bottled
Now just need to make it metric and fitting my baby set up :)
(pretty easy....)

Has anyone started on this one yet?

I got maris otter & pilsner malt
Which would be best to replace the pale ale malt? I was thinking pilsner?

My wheat malt is a bit suspect. All my beers with wheat are turning out much darker than they should be. I even notice it in the boiling pot. I suppose the weevils have now done real damage, although it's now been kept in the freezer

Caravienne? I got amber malt, vienna malt and aromatic malt. And caramalt & crystal?
I think the caramalt is cara 40, so maybe caramalt and using a little less?

Honey? Any type will do? Our local honey is quite dark.

It's definitely going to be quite a different beer from the challenge, but I am trying to stay in the right direction.

Yeast:
I got BRY-97 and a variety of Belgian (dry) yeasts.
Anyone any good suggestions?

I do have Tettnanger though :D:D:D

Depending on my current wheat beer, I may have to buy new. Meaning a trip into town (about 4-5 hours away, so would like to avoid it if I can. On the other hand: I desperately need a haircut....)

If your wheat and honey are both dark, maybe you'll have yourself a "dirty blonde" :D

I'd probably go maris otter over the pilsner, but either would work.

How about equal parts of vienna malt and caramalt to substitute the caravienne?

The honey - to me - is more about the flavor versus the color. If your honey isn't too harsh, go for it... color be damned!

BRY-97 would be a fine substitute for S-05. I think I'm going to split mine and do the second half with a Belgian though... not sure with what though.

right, slowly getting ready.
Just need to check if I have enough honey, and aa % of hops, and EBC of caramalt.
Going for cara only as I read somewhere that caravienne has nothing to do with Vienna malt (old post of yooper, Where is @Yooper anyway)

This is the plan:
Screenshot (64).png

Screenshot (65).png

Changes....
I didn't like the smell of my caramalt, so I've tossed it.
I do have crystal 150 ebc and I could use half or less. But would you actually taste a difference if it is such a small amount?
I would be tempted to leave it out completely.

Also not too sure if I have enough honey. I'll use what I got and add some sugar (at 70% replacement rate)

I want to mill today and brew tomorrow

Last edited:
Changes....
I didn't like the smell of my caramalt, so I've tossed it.
I do have crystal 150 ebc and I could use half or less. But would you actually taste a difference if it is such a small amount?
I would be tempted to leave it out completely.

Also not too sure if I have enough honey. I'll use what I got and add some sugar (at 70% replacement rate)

I want to mill today and brew tomorrow

Ah... the ol' smell test wins again! I would personally just leave the crystal out. I'm excited to see how your version turns out!

To paraphrase @Nosybear honey truly is just an expensive simple sugar, and there is very little if any flavor contribution from using it.
It is however, obviously a more natural form of sugar. It is best added as a late boil addition, especially if you are adding honey that has not been pasteurized. Good old Louis!

Louis Pasteur was a French chemist and microbiologist renowned for his discoveries of the principles of vaccination, microbial fermentation, and pasteurization, the last of which was named after him.

I've milled the grains and leaving out the crystal/cara malt.
I'm going to use my honey. If only to find out if I can taste it. Mine's a fairly dark, strong tasting honey. We'll see.
It will stay a dirty beach blond as the honey is dark and so is my sugar.
Brewing tomorrow

I've milled the grains and leaving out the crystal/cara malt.
I'm going to use my honey. If only to find out if I can taste it. Mine's a fairly dark, strong tasting honey. We'll see.
It will stay a dirty beach blond as the honey is dark and so is my sugar.
Brewing tomorrow
Cool!
I don't mean to discourage the use of honey, I have used it, and will use it again

Note to self:
Don't trust your memory when it comes to hops:rolleyes:
Got Tradition, not Tettnang.
Google to the rescue and I'm using spalt select.
So now we got
Different malt bill
Different hop
Different yeast
Different type of honey.

It will be beer:D

Semi-done
Wort is in the fermente in the fridge, but needs to cool down further before pitching
BRY starter got fresh wort and is in the fridge with the fermenter.
Inkbird set to 17.5 oC (63-64 F) measuring on the bottle with starter.
Not sure if that's the right way to go though.

Note to self:
Don't trust your memory when it comes to hops:rolleyes:
Got Tradition, not Tettnang.
Google to the rescue and I'm using spalt select.
So now we got
Different malt bill
Different hop
Different yeast
Different type of honey.

It will be beer:D
I think it will taste exactly like the original recipe too! I mean, what is really different ?:p

OK,
Tomorrow we are on day 10 and I am going to keg this batch and burst carbonate.
Maybe a bit too early still?

To paraphrase @Nosybear honey truly is just an expensive simple sugar, and there is very little if any flavor contribution from using it.
It is however, obviously a more natural form of sugar. It is best added as a late boil addition, especially if you are adding honey that has not been pasteurized. Good old Louis!

Louis Pasteur was a French chemist and microbiologist renowned for his discoveries of the principles of vaccination, microbial fermentation, and pasteurization, the last of which was named after him.
Honey is also naturally antimicrobial. So if you don't boil it, should still be ok

Back