2nd Quarter Brew 2023

Josh Hughes

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I’ll have Sophie come in and draw at 6:00 NY time. Unless we have a ton of people on earlier. Someone with better computer skills will screen shot the draw on zoom.

... and the brewer selected is... (drum roll please)...

@Zefram

Bring us a recipe that we'll all (try to) brew in this 2nd quarter of 2023.
Although it is very informal, an ideal recipe is one you have brewed and liked, perhaps your "all-time favorite" to brew.
We've brewed ordinary beers and somewhat strange beers, most are between those extremes.

Once you have a recipe, make it public and let us know about it in this thread. And we're all here if you have any questions.

Zoom 2Q Draw.png

Ah geez... that's a lot of pressure following up Bunyip!

Let's try this one: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1368627/beach-brew

A buddy and I used to make it for an annual trip to a beach in South Carolina, hence the corny name. Now I just try to make it once a year when the weather starts to get nice. My wife, who isn't a beer drinker, even likes this one... probably because it isn't a hop monster :D

If anyone prefers extract, you can replace the base grains with 3 lb extra light DME and 2 lb wheat DME.

I've always used orange blossom honey. I'm not sure how available that is to our international friends, but I'm sure any sweet and citrusy honey would be a fine substitute. For the lemon, I just take a large one, cut it into wheels, then cut away the flesh and pith (sometimes I have to scrap the pith away with a knife).

I keep threatening to try this with a Belgian yeast sometime. I might just do that this time!

I hope everyone enjoys this one. I look forward to seeing everyone's adaptations and I always appreciate any feedback. Happy brewing and cheers to all!

looks like a nice beer, I will brew this in late May or June.
It sounds like it will be nice to enjoy on hot July days at the trailer!

Thanks @Zefram for putting up your recipe so quickly. I have worked up my own version to suit my system, and will get to this brew sometime during the second quarter.

I got most of the ingredients (sort of) and I like a blonde ale, so I'll be in.
Got one other beer I want to make first, this can come straight after.
I'll probably go for a Belgian yeast as well (I don't have US-05 anyway :) )

This looks really good! A little light for me but maybe best for a summer brew. Thank you!

Thanks zefram I don't think we've had a blonde ale recipe bloody ripper mate.

I'll give this a crack for sure I'll just use sorghum extract and rice malt syrup but keep the hops honey and lemon additions
Cheers!

I'm not sure it technically categorizes as a blonde now. It used to have a higher ratio of pale malt to wheat malt, but I cut back on the former a bit. I'm just too lazy to figure out the proper style to call it :)

I look forward to hearing how the GF version works out for you!

Has anyone started on this one yet?

I got maris otter & pilsner malt
Which would be best to replace the pale ale malt? I was thinking pilsner?

My wheat malt is a bit suspect. All my beers with wheat are turning out much darker than they should be. I even notice it in the boiling pot. I suppose the weevils have now done real damage, although it's now been kept in the freezer

Caravienne? I got amber malt, vienna malt and aromatic malt. And caramalt & crystal?
I think the caramalt is cara 40, so maybe caramalt and using a little less?

Honey? Any type will do? Our local honey is quite dark.

It's definitely going to be quite a different beer from the challenge, but I am trying to stay in the right direction.

Yeast:
I got BRY-97 and a variety of Belgian (dry) yeasts.
Anyone any good suggestions?

I do have Tettnanger though :D:D:D

Depending on my current wheat beer, I may have to buy new. Meaning a trip into town (about 4-5 hours away, so would like to avoid it if I can. On the other hand: I desperately need a haircut....)

Has anyone started on this one yet?

I got maris otter & pilsner malt
Which would be best to replace the pale ale malt? I was thinking pilsner?

My wheat malt is a bit suspect. All my beers with wheat are turning out much darker than they should be. I even notice it in the boiling pot. I suppose the weevils have now done real damage, although it's now been kept in the freezer

Caravienne? I got amber malt, vienna malt and aromatic malt. And caramalt & crystal?
I think the caramalt is cara 40, so maybe caramalt and using a little less?

Honey? Any type will do? Our local honey is quite dark.

It's definitely going to be quite a different beer from the challenge, but I am trying to stay in the right direction.

Yeast:
I got BRY-97 and a variety of Belgian (dry) yeasts.
Anyone any good suggestions?

I do have Tettnanger though :D:D:D

Depending on my current wheat beer, I may have to buy new. Meaning a trip into town (about 4-5 hours away, so would like to avoid it if I can. On the other hand: I desperately need a haircut....)

Back