I brewed today!

Brewed a Helles Bock yesterday to pitch on the trub from my Munich Helles. First time using my larger BIAB set up. It worked out well and I got good volume and efficiency, though I'm not all that confident that I hit the step temps I planned on. I had trouble getting to the final alpha rest. If anything it'll have a little less residual sugars, I guess, so that won't be bad for the style.

Extract Helles - the lazy man's beer! I used all DME and got a beautiful, light colored wort.... Now on to fermentation!

J A said:
Brewed a Helles Bock yesterday to pitch on the trub from my Munich Helles. First time using my larger BIAB set up. It worked out well and I got good volume and efficiency, though I'm not all that confident that I hit the step temps I planned on. I had trouble getting to the final alpha rest. If anything it'll have a little less residual sugars, I guess, so that won't be bad for the style.
with your larger bib use the dunk method in a bucket

Still testing new system. Brewed a Dry Stout and a Cream Ale (10 gal each). It's basicly brewing 2 batches at the same time, only I try to finish them an hour apart with only one wort chiller. Gets to be more like a chore than a hobby at times with so much going on. Hope it smooths out. Was simple with 20 gallon of the same beer but who wants simple :?

takes about the same time to brew bigger batches but much harder to chill as fast

Ya definitely need to upgrade chilling process. Several ways to go just haven't decided which.
Immersion chiller works better when you remember to turn on the cold water.. Duh, I hope these beers survive me today.

I tried 20 different ways to chill large batches an bought way too much equipment doing it but found the fastest and cheapest way is just by putting a stainless coil in my laundry sink, then freeze buckets of water in my zero degree freezer add the solid ice to the sink then add water, run the beer through the coil right into the fermenter, it takes about 15 minutes because I slow the volume down to cool more and the wort starts out at 50 and ends up at 60

Put another brew in the books today. 10 lbs of pilsner, 2 lbs of Vienna. Glacier for boiling hops and Saaz for aroma. I even splurged on a smack pack! Hopefully it'll be a good one!

Bottled my take on nosybear's sourdough blonde.
Just finished cleaning up after brewing 2 mini batches of a vienna pale ale.

The wife sometimes gets a tinny or metallic taste from my homebrew, and I'm trying to see if it's one of the kettles. However, it doesn't happen all the time, and sometimes happens on commercial beers, so she may just be crazy.

Plus, I think this'll be a first real test for my consistency between batches of the exact same recipe

Exactly. My homebrew is beyond reproach...

And I almost typed that with a straight face :roll:

Yeah! That's what I meant!

Today, I'll be brewing a basic wheat beer, modeled after a Brewer's Best BIAB kit (Those are easy to copy!). A little strawberry flavoring, and voila! It was a big hit when I made it last year. Gotta let the wife have one of my taps.

My homebrew is ALWAYS beyond reproach (which, if you think about it, could really go either way)....

Yesterday, a test batch: Two gallons of malty brown ale with cocoa in the boil, fermenting, waiting for the hazelnut extract and some vanilla. Nutella, anyone?

I'm covered in the ales I want to have in my pipeline, so today I'm brewing a Belgian Golden Ale. Last time I brewed it, it ended up very close to 10% ABV. Let's see if I can hit the double digits this time!

Just wrapped up a double batch of bitter with a buddy. I must be getting close to 30 gallons between all the bottles and buckets

Im boiling my summer lager, Ive been working on this batch since noon, its been easy sailing today in the shade that is, its hot and humid here 98% humidity and 90 degrees, no wind

jmcnamara said:
Just wrapped up a double batch of bitter with a buddy. I must be getting close to 30 gallons between all the bottles and buckets
I've got 6 kegs serving, call them half full on the average. 15 gallons.
One keg conditioning 5 gallons.
5 carboys in primary or secondary. 25 gallons.
45 gallons of homebrew in my house. I'm gonna need some more adults!

Oops forgot to post brewed Friday night. Centennial Pale Ale and a Centennial IPA. Brew day from hell. We all have em. As long as the beer survives, and yes it is fermenting happily. Not a good idea to start an 8hr brew session on a Friday night after a tough work week. Gotta get those old hops used up, this year looks to be a good one for my lengthy friends who shade my patio. :D

Back