Bread Thread!

image.jpg
Fresh from the oven!
Sourdough!

Nice Herrm!
Got my starter out and fed it yesterday, It's back in the fridge now. Trying to lose a few lbs. so taking it easy on the bread, spuds, pasta, rice. Won't miss them so much in another week or so when our eggplant starts producing. Lost 8 lbs. so far.

Nice Herrm!
Got my starter out and fed it yesterday, It's back in the fridge now. Trying to lose a few lbs. so taking it easy on the bread, spuds, pasta, rice. Won't miss them so much in another week or so when our eggplant starts producing. Lost 8 lbs. so far.
Good for you, Bob. Less fillers means more beers - but only in moderation, of course.

Homemade Sourdough French Baguette... It has rapidly become the family favorite. Comes out slightly tart, reminiscent of San Francisco sourdough bread.

Attachments

• 20200727_160932.jpg
    20200727_160932.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 58
So I was just about to put together a loaf (edit) and noticed the recipe calling for 2 cups of starter....I only have one ...maybe...what's the best way to bump this up quickly?

I was thinking to add another feeding to a cup of starter giving me enough of my starter to feed again (4 oz) and a full 2 cups of starter to bake this loaf with.

Thoughts??

Last edited:
I usually use about 20% Starter per total batch volume. That's how I work out my ingredience based on batch size.

650g loaf for instance

500g plain white flour.
150g rye flour. 22~%
2% salt 13g
75% hydration 487g water
20% Starter 130g.

This way no mater what loaf size your making you can scale it consistently.
Just like brewing ;)

My wife got a banneton for me, and its first use did not go well. My 71% hydration dough stuck just a little to the banneton. Once I got the dough free, I put it on a piece of parchment on which I had baked a few loaves. Unfortunately, that parchment had already been overused. The sticky dough stuck to the parchment, and I spent a half hour picking and pulling little broken chips of parchment from the dough. I still baked that loaf, but got no spring, so it was not pretty. However, the loaf tasted awesome. My last loaf was probably my best ever (I posted photo in this thread), but I skipped the banneton. Do you use a lower hydration dough when using a banneton? Do you do an overnight in the fridge ferment, with the dough in the banneton?

My wife got a banneton for me, and its first use did not go well. My 71% hydration dough stuck just a little to the banneton. Once I got the dough free, I put it on a piece of parchment on which I had baked a few loaves. Unfortunately, that parchment had already been overused. The sticky dough stuck to the parchment, and I spent a half hour picking and pulling little broken chips of parchment from the dough. I still baked that loaf, but got no spring, so it was not pretty. However, the loaf tasted awesome. My last loaf was probably my best ever (I posted photo in this thread), but I skipped the banneton. Do you use a lower hydration dough when using a banneton? Do you do an overnight in the fridge ferment, with the dough in the banneton?
They get better as they get older. If I'm making a boule, it goes in the baneton. Just flour the hell out of it so nothing sticks. I haven't tried it for overnight proofing, should work fine.

The trick I've found is Rice flour it's got no gluten so the dough won't stick to it.
Yes I use a cloth insert between banniton and bread. Yes also putting it into the fridge to retard for 12hours or so helps to stiffen the dough.
Before I shape I use a spray bottle to gently mist the cloth then i coat with rice flour (water helps it stick) then push this cloth into the banniton or proofing vessal of choice and it should be sticky free;).

Oh yeah that loaf you did top of thread herm is bloody bootyliscious :D

They get better as they get older. If I'm making a boule, it goes in the baneton. Just flour the hell out of it so nothing sticks. I haven't tried it for overnight proofing, should work fine.
That is what I have read, that the banneton needs “seasoning” to perform best. That will only come through use. As Ben noted, rice flour seems to work really well.

That is what I have read, that the banneton needs “seasoning” to perform best. That will only come through use. As Ben noted, rice flour seems to work really well.
Yeah I don't use the banneton Naked I'm guessing that's how you get that cool ripple effect maybe I'll try with just the banneton next batch through.

I have another batch of KAF No Knead Sourdough in process, this time using some spent beer grains from yesterday’s brew session. This is the first time that I am baking using sbg, and I just added a cup to my usual recipe. Anticipating a sticky, wet dough, I decreased the water by about 4% - just winging it. Depending on how things go, I’ll have bread tomorrow night, or Thursday night. Fingers crossed.

I have another batch of KAF No Knead Sourdough in process, this time using some spent beer grains from yesterday’s brew session. This is the first time that I am baking using sbg, and I just added a cup to my usual recipe. Anticipating a sticky, wet dough, I decreased the water by about 4% - just winging it. Depending on how things go, I’ll have bread tomorrow night, or Thursday night. Fingers crossed.
Cool I did some spent grain sourdough I remember reducing rehydration quite a bit because the grain is already soaked through.
I posted recipie earlier in the thread.

Back