Brut IPA?

Mie

Trial Member
Reaction score
Seems this is a fairly un-brewed style so far, it's not even in the style list!
I figured i'd make a post and see if anyone has experience brewing Brut IPAs or anyone really could give this some feedback :)

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/603096/brut-ipa-work-in-progress-

This is what I have had to go by so far:
http://newtobrew.com/2018/06/21/brewing-a-brut-ipa-with-advice-from-professional-brewers/

So some background is that you use enzymes to break down the unfermentable sugars so that the yeast can attenuate down really low somewhere down at 1.002 to 1.000 (Hence my custom attenuation on the yeast)

I'd be super happy if someone could comment on the hop mix in this too, as the hops will basically be almost all of the taste in this beer.

Cheers!
-Mie

I brewed one last year. I used Mosaic and Citra hops. I added 2ml Amalase in the mash at 145 degrees for 20 min. then added another 3ML after the boil during cool down when the temps got to 125. let rest for 20 min then continued to cool then to fermenter.
it fermented down to .996.
it was good but I havent brewed it again.
Pilsner/flaked wheat/flaked rice was my grain bill

Reactions: Mie
I haven't tasted one that didn't taste harshly metallic. Sorry, but that style just isn't my thing.

I was reluctant but tasted several in Denver all were very well made, they were not dry or thin so they must have figured out a few things

I have only ever tasted one, so can't even comment as to whether I even like the style to be honest.
Keep us posted :)

I'm actually really excited to see where I can take this, I see most people using flaked rice/wheat but I'm curious to try and see how a bit of regular wheat malt holds up (but comparatively larger chunk of pilsner malt).

I'm hoping to get a lot of hop aroma, I love whirlpooling hops, and with the dry hopping I think this could be great.

Anyone brewed with a mix of mosaic and amarillo? Think this combo could work? (I'm hoping for some nice citrus/orange/fruity notes).

Brewday is next weekend for this! And I will keep you posted :)

I have been making Brut. You can see my latest recipe here. https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/842119/brut-wine-ipa
Ignore the wine if you wish. If you like hops you will need more. I have backed in to using about an ounce at 60 min boil, and it is still good. I start the whirlpool at 180 degrees. I also dry hop at the end of day 4 when the Krausen starts to subside.

I like your hops selections, should be good. The FG should be below 1.000. Mine has been about .997. I add the amylase in the fermenter.

I tried a Brut that I thought was quite good, though my opinion from the outset is that the style was more of a fad. Since I haven't seen any Bruts on tap around here much lately, I'm willing to assume that my original opinion was somewhat justified. I agree that if your FG is not very near 1.00, you've missed the mark. And hop flavor is much more to be desired than the big hop bitterness of a traditional IPA. I think the IPA part of the name misses the mark. It's a super-attenuated, heavily dry-hopped American Pale Ale, IMO.
I think the portion of the craft beer market that was responding to Brut IPA has bypassed beer altogether and gone over to White Claw. :D :D
Regarding your recipe, you don't list the enzyme, though I assume that you'll add it at some point. Personally, I'd skip the wheat or even if you keep it, adjust the amounts and add about 20% rice. That gives a huge head start in fermentable sugars and light body. The hop combo will work fine.

If you are looking for aroma/flavor, i would eliminate all boil hops and just go with whirlpool and dry hops. I went with a small bittering addition of like 25 IBU's but it was non existent.
I have to agree with JA. I think this style is a fad as I do not see any Brut's on tap. When the style first came out there were a few breweries that did make them but havent seen any since.
The breweries in the NOLA area are all brewing NEIPA's as that's what everyone wants.
I think Mosaic and Amarillo would be good. All you can do is give it a try and see how it turns out.

The breweries in the NOLA area are all brewing NEIPA's as that's what everyone wants.
Yeah...that's still the main ride here, too. I'm over the whole Orange Julius thing...give me a good Pils or a traditional West Coast IPA. :)

Awesome feedback!
I will probably adjust with some flaked rice, and pull the wheat down, I'm kinda hoping to get a tiny bit of extra head retention from the wheat but maybe it's going to ruin more than it adds.

Yeah I read that keeping the IBUs low is important and something most pro breweries who did this agreed on as there is basically no character to balance it.

Maybe going straight for the whirlpool and dryhop is more appropriate.

(Ultra-ferm is the enzyme under "other ingredients")

Thanks again :D

I used Glucose Amalayse but ultra ferm will work too. I bought a 4 oz bottle because at the time no one was carrying ultra ferm. I still have the majority of the bottle left. And I think it is out dated.

Haven't brewed one and haven't enjoyed many, but I think the rice is important to stop it tasting too malty. But maybe by replacing some pilsner malt instead of the wheat, as the head is one of the enjoyable things about the style. Really hard thing to do well from the few I've tasted.

Yeah...that's still the main ride here, too. I'm over the whole Orange Julius thing...give me a good Pils or a traditional West Coast IPA. :)
I honestly never thought I would seek out juicy beer. 20 years ago who would have known how the beer scene would have changed.
I do like a good IPA, Pale Ale, blonde, hoppy lager etc. Most of the breweries around here do not brew West coast IPA's much. Occasionally they have some but for the most part is sours, lages, NEIPA's, blonddes, stouts etc. Hardly ever see a Pale Ale which is disappointing because I like them.
Now i get to brew those styles myself.

I might balance in some flaked rice and flaked corn with the wheat, I do like a good foamy head so I'd love to see how the wheat holds up thru the enzyme.

Flaked corn is supposedly also a good thing for mouth feel and adds a tiny bit of flavour too.

Flaked corn is supposedly also a good thing for mouth feel and adds a tiny bit of flavour too.
Corn will add flavor but will act as any adjunct in terms of body - more thinning since it breaks down into highly fermentable sugars.
Mouthfeel is not part of the allure of this style. I think it should be very crisp and light and bubbly...like champagne with a little head on it.

Corn will add flavor but will act as any adjunct in terms of body - more thinning since it breaks down into highly fermentable sugars.
Mouthfeel is not part of the allure of this style. I think it should be very crisp and light and bubbly...like champagne with a little head on it.
Makes sense! I currently got it at 10~ % flaked corn and 10~% Flaked rice and hoping that will work out. (Also 5% wheat malt which I'm unsure of still)

...and the people said, amen.

I might balance in some flaked rice and flaked corn with the wheat, I do like a good foamy head so I'd love to see how the wheat holds up thru the enzyme.

Flaked corn adds a very subtle flavor - think feed corn, not sweet corn. I kind of like it in some beers. Add some flaked wheat or barley to support the head, or chit malt, if you can get it.

Back