Honey Ale too Dry

Reaction score
So i made a Honey Ale last week. It got down below expected FG pretty quick. currently sitting at 1.009 for last 2 days but still lots of bubbles. and its only day 9. Tasted last 2 gravity samples and it is really dry.
Can i fix this prior to bottling?

How much honey did you use? Fully fermentable sugars like honey will do exactly what you're describing. You need plenty of crystal malt or base malt mashed at higher temps to give body and residual sweetness.

Last edited:
So i made a Honey Ale last week. It got down below expected FG pretty quick. currently sitting at 1.009 for last 2 days but still lots of bubbles. and its only day 9. Tasted last 2 gravity samples and it is really dry.
Can i fix this prior to bottling?
Second both of the above: Maltodextrin to increase body and less simple sugar (read honey) in the beer. Simple sugars thin body and dry out beer.

How much honey did you use. Fully fermentable sugars like honey will do exactly what you're describing. You need plenty of crystal malt or base malt mashed at higher temps to give body and residual sweetness.
It was 1.5lbs for 5 gallon batch.

Maltodextrin can be added at bottling time to add body, but next time using honey malt instead of honey can give you a honey flavour without drying out the beer too much.
How much maltodextrin would you recommend for 5 gallon batch?

How much maltodextrin would you recommend for 5 gallon batch?
Your best bet would be to make a strong solution of maltodextrin and test dose a measured amount of beer, then scale that up to dose the rest of the batch before packaging.

It was 1.5lbs for 5 gallon batch.
Absent any other specs and assuming a mid-range beer of 1.050, that's nearly 20% adjunct sugar. No wonder it's dry. If I was you, I'd just bottle it and see how it drinks. It'll be crisp and light and crushable. You'll be able to tweak the recipe next time for something with more malt flavor and body. If you experiment with stuff you're not familiar with in an effort to "save" it, you're almost certainly going to make it less enjoyable.

Yep I'd take notes for next time and drink what you've got.

Reactions: J A
Yeah definitely have taken notes. To me it's absurdly dry right now. But I'll try a small amount of maltodextrin

To me it's absurdly dry right now.
What was your OG? An FG of 1.009 really isn't particularly low. I have pales that finish to 1.007 and are still malty and balanced. When you start seeing 1.002 to 1.004 with some of the Belgian yeasts, for instance, that's really quite dry, but 1.009?...not so much.
Don't forget that once you foam it up, the mouthfeel changes drastically and the impression of sweetness changes. I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on unfinished wort.

What was your OG? An FG of 1.009 really isn't particularly low. I have pales that finish to 1.007 and are still malty and balanced. When you start seeing 1.002 to 1.004 with some of the Belgian yeasts, for instance, that's really quite dry, but 1.009?...not so much.
Don't forget that once you foam it up, the mouthfeel changes drastically and the impression of sweetness changes. I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on unfinished wort.
Yeah I've had a few finish much lower and not be this dry. OG was 1.056

That's a pretty reasonable OG for that finish. On the crisp side, for sure, but should still be relatively balanced if its not highly hopped and bitter.
If you're looking for honey sweetness in the finish, try about 5% Honey Malt. It'll lend a lot of residual malty/honey sweetness, especially in a blonde.

I think it be will fine once it is packaged, carbed, and given time to come together. As noted, 1.009 is not very low for a beer with that much fermentable sugar.

I think it be will fine once it is packaged, carbed, and given time to come together. As noted, 1.009 is not very low for a beer with that much fermentable sugar.
That is an excellent point, carbed beer can taste way different than still beer. Carbed it up and taste it, if you still don't like it, than doctor it up or just drink it. It's okay to make mistakes as long as you learn from them.

I'll let it sit few more days see how it taste. But eventually will bottle for sure

Back