I visited a brewery today!

Did a little round about today to get out of the house. Drove to Cabinet Mountain Brewery in Libby MT, (a flight with a meat and cheese tray), over to Kootenai Brewing Co. In Bonners Ferry ID (another flight with beer cheese soup for my brew partner and scratch fresh nachos for me), then dropped down to Sandpoint ID. to Laughing Dog Brewery for a Alpha Dog IIPA, and a Huckleberry cream ale. All very good except the barrel aged black lager we sampled at Laughing Dog. Remember that first Belgian you built to tower above all and it ended up tasting better mixed 50/50 with a lite lager because it was just too complicated? Yup just like that.o_O:eek::oops::(
Quite surprised as they make great clean crisp beer. Barrel aging works for some beers but NOT others. Think Schwarzbier aged in a port wine barrel.:confused: Maybe someone might like it but not us.
Still a very fine road trip;).
All in all a great day in beautiful Kootenai River country. Plan on doing this around hop harvest time as there is a huge inbev hop farm up there. Would be interesting to watch.

Yesterday, Sawdust City Brewing in Gravenhurst Ontario. Gravenhurst was a POW camp during WW2, a lot of the German prisoners stayed after the war. The name Sawdust City comes from wood trade in the area around the turn of the century.
IMG_20190713_1648459.jpg
IMG_20190713_1648536.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg
IMG_1029.jpg

Wallenpaupack Brewing Co. - Hawley, PA

A nice afternoon out by Lake Wallenpaupack. Good food, good service, excellent beer. They could easily make a living off of their outstanding Cream Ale, but a shout out to the smoky Altbier and the Citra Largemouth IPA. I wish I could have sampled them all.

Making my mouth water. Our daughter just sent an email that she'd booked our lodging in Bend, OR beginning Oct. 10th., so anxiously awaiting this years second beercation. After several stays in Bend, we know it never disappoints.

Carroll County Maryland is seeing an uptick in brewery openings and as this month sees the Maryland Microbrewery festival I say drink up, Hon!

http://www.marylandmicrobreweryfestival.com/

Brewery Fire opened up on Friday in previously bar free Taneytown and was well attended. Wifey and I stopped in for a flight and a pint in the beer garden since the crowd was standing room only in the tap room which I'm sure had the owners happy. We'll be back.

Union Bridge is also going to see a new place open up soon with Flood Zone brewery as well so now I got 2 more places close to home and it's great that Carroll is loosening up their puritan past and capitalizing on its agricultural roots in a "new" way. Maybe now I won't have to read another whining editorial from a transplant about how they were made late to soccer practice because they were stuck behind a hay wagon.

Wife and I decided to go on a weekend road trip and along the way, we stopped into Voodoo Brewery in Erie, PA. We grabbed a flight of their year-round brews (see photo)

B1C53FCD-7B91-4D29-AD0C-24D42B7692FB.jpeg

91410135-2A8C-4B88-9589-2FDB0F7FB727.jpeg

To be honest, the Triples had a medicinal alcohol flavor to them. The Killapilz was just okay, as was the Wynonna’s Brown Ale. The brown ale had taste notes of coffee and toast with almost IPA strength of hop additions. Not impressed.

Not wanting to leave disappointed, we ordered two of their seasonal brews...

“Good Vibes West Coast IPA” with Galaxy, Amarillo, Mosaic and Apollo hops (see photo)

8F01080E-523A-4BEB-97F3-5C8204E98AF8.jpeg

And.....

“Pale Ale” with 100% mosaic hops.

663D975D-4BE1-48E4-B551-521E4B8F47B6.jpeg

We really liked the two “Seasonals”, but their “year-round” brews.... not so much.

Tomorrow we might hit a couple more brew pubs in Erie and will report back if/when we do.

So, day 2 of Brewpub visits only allowed for one stop, so we visited “The Brewerie at Union square”, and what a nice reprieve from yesterday’s visit to Voodoo Brewery.

EB1152F1-A828-44BC-BE22-E4DAC851BB1C.jpeg

We chose 8 of their beers from a list of 15-20 beers on tap for a flight test (a mix of seasonal and year round).

5C2CFD6C-229B-4A37-9FA5-04D9D068DBF6.jpeg

We chose: Blonde Ale, Octoberfest, Amber Ale, Pale Ale Ultra, IPA, Nut brown Ale, Silk Bomb and Candy Gram (brewed with habanero peppers).

They were all fantastic beers with the exception of the Octoberfest, but we’ve never been Octoberfest beers to begin with, so that wasn’t a surprise.

Purchased an awesome Growler

905D2AE9-98AE-44DD-8A8E-93496B959644.jpeg

A hoodie for the wife, a few glasses for the collection and a couple stickers for the keezer. Couldn’t resist get a few “Big Ass Cans”/ 32 oz. Crowlers of our two favorites: Silk Bomb (Milk Stout) and Candy Gram to be honest, I don’t recall the ingredients of the Candy Gram, but it had a slight sweet fruit candy taste with a nice heat in the throat and sides of your cheeks from the habenero pepper infusion.

7A0D3A6F-7DD3-42FF-A7DA-693A4960A4B2.jpeg

937EE2F8-E5A7-48DE-94B0-0458351B52C9.jpeg

The food was also fantastic, the wife had a Portabella Mushroom Wrap and I had their Fish & Chips.

0E98C49B-2DBB-42BC-8BB8-EECAE893F55F.jpeg

A4D0A094-CE62-4646-A499-A1099F4B29D4.jpeg

Having never had a brew with hot peppers but always curious to try, I was glad we were able to, and hot pepper brew is in my future beer list. But I don’t know where to start. Maybe a future consideration for our “Community Beer”.

Last year after out Canadian vacation was cut short we spent a couple of days in Seattle before returning home. Several brewery visits kept us from boredom, but the most impressive was the smallest one we visited. Ravenna Brewing had a Jalapeño Kolsch that was to die for. The Kolsch was the cleanest I've ever had with a great Jalapeño flavor and no real heat. I usually don't like beers brewed with peppers because the heat in most of them hides the beer. This one was perfect. They also had some very nice sours, which I'm not a big fan of.
Their brewery was in a space just about as wide as a single car garage and maybe 30' deep.
ravenna-brewing-tanks.jpg

“The Brewerie at Union square”,

Great name...I see what they did there....in Erie....where they Brew....at The BrewErie…..gotta be a great place when they can work in a Dad Joke to the name! Another reason to go back to that part of the state.

20191006_114502.jpg
20191006_114545.jpg

Philipsburg Brewing. Small brewery we have been trying to get to Out of the way on a scenic route. Flight of 5 and all were clean and tasty. Then tried the 5 Phantoms Pumpkin Spice Barleywine and it was exceptional. Only can get it there. They had 2015 16 17 18 and19 on tap. I had the 2015. We bought 4 bottles of 2019 to bring home to the stash. Little mining town. We didn't go saphire sifting but you can buy a sack of gravel to look through for gems.
Edit: Note the world beer cup awards along with all the ribbons.

Last edited:

Back