I visited a brewery today!

Discussion in 'Brewing Photos & Videos' started by jmcnamara, May 7, 2016.

1. Ward Chillington

Ward Chillington Well-Known Member

My kid gave me a beer nerd tour of Flying Dog located down in Frederick, Maryland for my birthday . What a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon!

The Brewery is located in an industrial park on the south part of town that is fronted by a good sized tasting room that also had a lecture on first amendment rights going on at the same time. Apparently it's one of the company's pet causes. This tour is pretty darn cool as you start off in a class room with a short lecture on safety and such as they were brewing at the time and you basically followed the whole process from grist to case or keg.

Along with getting into the guts of the process, you also get a number of different samplings throughout the tour including s shot of green beer direct from a 250BB tank...their Pearl Necklace Chesapeake Stout in this case, which gets a bunch of oysters thrown into the batch in order to put a little bit of the bay in each bottle! Believe it or not they even have a brew with Old Bay in it!
    Along with the Stout, we sampled their Thunder Peel, a hazy IPA, Field Notes which was a Pale Ale with all Maryland ingredients including hops from a program with the University of Maryland School of Agriculture who is on their 3rd of 4th year of introducing hop culture back into the state. Another "Cause Beer" that they are brewing on a very limited release was a golden ale called Bee Beer, obviously its got local honey in it were a part of the proceeds go to some wildlife cause. I dunno...maybe it should have gone to Farm Aid....No Bee's, No Farms.....No Farms, No Beer!

20190414_150211.jpeg

BOB357, MFTIC, thunderwagn and 3 others like this.
  2. jmcnamara

jmcnamara Well-Known Member

That place is really cool. My wife and I did a beer tour thing where we visited flying dog and 3 other breweries. Very cool to see the vastly different size breweries still putting out good beer. I swear one of them couldn't have been bigger than a 711

Ward Chillington likes this.
  3. Ward Chillington

Ward Chillington Well-Known Member

I forgot about these 2 pix from the F Dog tour. Put this in your lesson book under cautionary tales.

So if you have a kid, cable TV and you are here in the USA, you probably have an awareness of the Cartoon Network...and you probably know about "Adult Swim" programing that shows up there in the wee smalls when the kiddos are fast asleep. Flying Dog decided to name one of their summer specials after it. Their people called the Cartoon Network people and asked if the could use it, they said yeah...we're not in the beer business, go ahead! So Flying Dog did...then a few weeks later Cartoon Network changed their mind! So what do ya do? You rename it..... and you repack it and you keep your Ralph Steadman original artwork on the box!!

20190414_151010.jpeg 20190414_151039 (1).jpeg

Trialben likes this.
  4. ChicoBrewer

ChicoBrewer Well-Known Member

Healthcare IT Manager
    At the Sierra Nevada taproom tonight. Busy as usual.

2019_04_27 17_05 Office Lens.jpg

Attached Files:

Trialben likes this.
  5. Mase

Mase Well-Known Member

I was in there back in the early 2000’s when we did some environemtnatl cleanup at an old wood treating facilty in Orrville/Feather river area. I recall we were the for 4-5 months and it never rained a drop. :eek: If I recall, they were just recently selling outside the west coast about them. I remember the open fermenters begins the large bar area. I bet it’s changed a bit since then. I’ll have to look up when I was last out there.

ChicoBrewer likes this.
  6. ChicoBrewer

Healthcare IT Manager
  7. jmcnamara

Went to Stumptown Ales in Davis, WV. Pretty good (but heavy on the IPAs) and great people

8. jmcnamara

Went to Stumptown Ales in Davis, WV. Pretty good (but heavy on the IPAs) and great people

9. ChicoBrewer

Healthcare IT Manager
    that's the thing about California. It never rains from may until the end of September then it rains and snows from October through April. The snow piles up in the mountains and sends us water for irrigation all summer. Then the cycle starts over again in the fall. It's a beautiful thing . . .

10. ChicoBrewer

Healthcare IT Manager
    #130 ChicoBrewer, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Brought home some samples :).

20190427_194231.jpg

First - a Trip in the woods barrell aged Bierre De Garde. Havent tasted it because they didn't have samples. Looks promising. How long should I keep it in the bottle?

20190427_194453.jpg

Then the Oude Mode Belgian Tripel. OMG I think this is the best beer I ever drank. Seriously. Sorry boys and girls you can only get it in the Chico Taproom. I brought home a crowler full. Gonna have to go back for seconds...

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/388239/

SharedScreenshot.jpg

thunderwagn, Head First and Trialben like this.
  11. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    Visited Sunshine Brewery today a little local craft brewery. Had some lovely brews too the porter was my favourite just a really smooth roasty toasty brew. Got to have a chat with the brewer too as he was mid sparge whilst brewing one of their IPAs. 20190504_162353.jpg 20190504_162420.jpg

12. Craigerrr

Craigerrr Well-Known Member

long time ago actually, but just stumbled across this picture I took at Flying Monkeys in Barrie Ontario. IMG_20180406_1743374.jpg

Trialben and thunderwagn like this.
  13. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    Not quite a brewery more so a tavern doing pest control. Old mate was cleaning beer lines when I rocked up so I asked him his process. He sends the "Cleaner Slippery stuff as he put it" then let's sit for 2 1/2 hours then flushes the lines with water get this 3 20lt buckets per line! Wow! I flush my lines with a Lt or two of hot water but 20lts gee wizz boys and girls. Anyway thought I'd share dat.

ChicoBrewer likes this.
  14. Craigerrr

Ben, nice story!

15. Craigerrr

These guys are making some great beers! And hey, you are what you drink, right?
    IMG_20190515_1752213.jpg

Mase, Trialben and ChicoBrewer like this.