WTH hit my wort?

LarryDTX

Trial Member
Reaction score
20190620_091141.jpg
I am not sure, since I have not seen this before, but it looks like I have some sort of mold in my wort on an all extract beer I am making. I did the same as always, which was to oxygenate my wort before pitching for 10 minutes using a sanitized air stone and hose. Everything was sanitized before starting so I am not sure what happened here.

This was the last of the Mr. Beer extracts I had. Nothing added except their booster. It was not out of date, nor was the yeast. I took a gravity reading today and that's when I found THIS:

Any help is appreciated. Does this need to be trashed or what?

Last edited:
Your image is broken.

You can taste it to be sure, but that looks like a dumper to me.

did you use a HEPA filter with the Oxy?? What ever it is, it's all the same strain!

I've had similar looking stuff on my beer and it wasn't bad... Taste a sample from under the pellicle and see if it is good. If so, the beer should be okay.

I've had similar looking stuff on my beer and it wasn't bad... Taste a sample from under the pellicle and see if it is good. If so, the beer should be okay.

I had given it a small taste before I looked in on it, did not taste sour or any thing. Any idea if the pellicle will drop out when I cold crash it? Or do I need to try to siphon it out. Again, as I said, I never had this happen before.

Thanks

I had given it a small taste before I looked in on it, did not taste sour or any thing.
If it sits long enough it'll develop either off flavors or pleasant sour flavors. I've got one right now that went the same way. I put big can of blackberry puree in it and let it go. It's a lovely light fruited sour now.
BTW...if you're bottling, you could easily run into trouble. When it carbs to sufficient volumes, get it cold and keep it that way.

That's weird, kind of looks like my jar of BE-256 yeast, not sure what the hell I'm looking at.

upload_2019-6-21_13-4-44.png

I can't see me using it though.

Looks like what happens to parafin when you put some in water heat it up and let it cool on its own. Happy solstice

That's weird, kind of looks like my jar of BE-256 yeast, not sure what the hell I'm looking at.
I can't see me using it though.

Yeah, I don't think I'd be pitching that yeast if it was me. :D :D

Yeah I gave it a wiff and it definitely had some nice sour notes to it, additionally it had some rotten dying animal tones to is so I tossed it and ran the jar through the dishwasher.

Back