Fermentis T-58 Haze

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got experience of using the above yeast?

I have just brewed a strong ale using T-58 and it has just about finished it's dry-hopping phase but it has a disappointing haze - which I must admit I wasn't expecting. I chose the yeast for it's expected flavours and it's high ABV tolerance.

The sales info states "Yeast with a medium sedimentation: forms no clumps but a powdery haze when resuspended in the beer."
The beer tastes fine to me - and is fairly strong (6.6%) but I am concerned about the fog! I have yet to bottle it and cold crash but can I expect it to clear well?

Is the powdery haze a temporary phenomenon is is it there to stay?

An impossible question I know but if someone else has experience of the yeast I would be happy to know all is as expected and it will clear up.

Any ideas anyone?

I have brewed with it quite a bit and it does eventually clear up. Cold crash helps as does gelatin when kegging. It will leave some flavors in it from the yeast if still suspended but not bad flavors. It says peppery but it didn't stand out more than a bit spicy to me. If bottling it should clear up quicker than in a keg.

I have brewed with it quite a bit and it does eventually clear up. Cold crash helps as does gelatin when kegging. It will leave some flavors in it from the yeast if still suspended but not bad flavors. It says peppery but it didn't stand out more than a bit spicy to me. If bottling it should clear up quicker than in a keg.

Thanks for that info. Yes it will be bottled at the weekend and I will drop some finings in tonight just to help it along. There will be some suspended hops probably from the dry hopping pellets but not too worried about that.
Into the fridge when I can - not me - the beer.

I have yet to bottle it and cold crash but can I expect it to clear well?
I'd never expect it to clear until crashed. But once it's held at really cold temps for a while, it'll clear just fine. T-5 isn't the best choice for Belgians, though for a dry hopped beer where you're expecting the hop flavors to come through, it's quite fine. It has some spice if fermented at low temps but a lot of very tuti-fruiti flavor instead of more defined citrus or pear or fruitcake notes that other yeast strains will bring. I've used it for Belgian-style IPAs and I've liked it. Using it for Blonds or similar where yeast is the dominant flavor, I don't like it as much.

I'd never expect it to clear until crashed. But once it's held at really cold temps for a while, it'll clear just fine. T-5 isn't the best choice for Belgians, though for a dry hopped beer where you're expecting the hop flavors to come through, it's quite fine. It has some spice if fermented at low temps but a lot of very tuti-fruiti flavor instead of more defined citrus or pear or fruitcake notes that other yeast strains will bring. I've used it for Belgian-style IPAs and I've liked it. Using it for Blonds or similar where yeast is the dominant flavor, I don't like it as much.

Thanks JA - useful information there.
I'm a novice here - only 14 different brews so far but many more ideas yet to try. I am experimenting with almost every brew and yet to repeat any - though I have some successes I will definitely redo. I do like the taste of recent one - grapefruit springs to mind - so i will see how it finally turns out - Iv'e already promised the band Wishbone Ash a crate for their 50th Anniversary Tour visit to my local venue and I don't want to disappoint them - or poison them either!!

Reactions: J A
Well Haze is not the only problem...
A phenolic smell to the brew after dry hopping... I may have to ditch the lot - will ditch it.

I think it is down to over temperature during fermentation - sunshine through the skylight warming up the fermentor - which I had covered in black plastic hood to exclude the light... left on the kitchen worktop in the wrong place!!! I wouldn't have known without using a Tilt for the first time

What do you think?
upload_2019-6-8_23-1-41.png

Ah let it condition for awhile before making that decision looks like it did get away on you a but temp wise. You would of been fine if it was kviek doing the job it would of liked them toasty conditions as would a sasion strain. I don't know enough about Belgian yeast though but phenols would be a perfect candidate for high ferm temperatures. Give it a couple more days or a week to sit and give it a taste before throwing it out.

Ah let it condition for awhile before making that decision looks like it did get away on you a but temp wise. You would of been fine if it was kviek doing the job it would of liked them toasty conditions as would a sasion strain. I don't know enough about Belgian yeast though but phenols would be a perfect candidate for high ferm temperatures. Give it a couple more days or a week to sit and give it a taste before throwing it out.

I am loath to ditch it as it tastes fine... I'll stir in some finings and give it a day or two.

I am loath to ditch it as it tastes fine... I'll stir in some finings and give it a day or two.
Are you still at 25c Harper?
You geletin won't do diddly Squat at that temp you need to crash it cold before adding this. I'd just leave it for a few days at that warm temp then work it down toward 0 - 4c add your geletin then leave here for a day or three transfer to serving vessel carb consume.

Are you still at 25c Harper?
You geletin won't do diddly Squat at that temp you need to crash it cold before adding this. I'd just leave it for a few days at that warm temp then work it down toward 0 - 4c add your geletin then leave here for a day or three transfer to serving vessel carb consume.

I can pop it in the fridge for a couple of days to get it down in temp. I have until Wednesday to play with - away for long weekend - it can be left for some time yet. Thanks for info... always after experience in these things - which is why this site is great!!

Reactions: J A

Back