Extract only Stout, needs help.

Artstyle

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I got a challenge from a friend of mine to brew a decent Extract ONLY stout. That means no steeping grains at all. Only a combination of Extracts allowed. Additions of sugars/maple syrup/coffee and other additives are also accepted. Just not more steeping grains.

Since this is new territory i now need help. Has anyone does this? And if not what estimated guesses do you have as of what Extracts should be used?

Im thinking of doing a Light Pale Extract/Dark Extract/Extra dark extract with same amounts of all from Muntons. Would this be reasonable? Or could i do a heavy stout more in style with a Russian imperial going with 100% Extra dark extract?

Thankful for all tips and suggestions!

Do any of the extracts use roasted barley? To me, roasted barley is a must in any type of stout...

Not too many ways to go about it...I'd use just Amber and Dark LME and see what you get. Probably be a good beer but maybe missing a little in the body/head department.

Do any of the extracts use roasted barley? To me, roasted barley is a must in any type of stout...
I'd think you'd have to add coffee of some kind to the beer to get that roastiness back

I've experimented with extract only beers for years and while they can be good, none have been great without adjustments, I would suggest roasted barley or de-bittered black just to steep to help with the final flavor which can be a muddy flavor so to speak without something added, sorry to be negative but in my experience you need an all grain flavor of some kind

This is a traditional "Dark" extract:

54% Munich Malt 10L 30% Base Malt 13% Caramel Malt 60 3% Black Malt

There is extra dark from muntons which contains:

2-Row base malt, caramel, chocolate and roasted barley but they don't tell us the exact ratios.

Maybe go with the Extra dark extract and just some amber?

I agree. Definitely want some roasted barley in there. Would be nice to know the %s.

I think I would try the extra dark extract and that's it. If it doesn't taste as good as if like after fermenting, I would add some coffee in the secondary. With an extract only beer I would not expect greatness, but you should be able to get drinkable beer. I would also use a yeast that attenuated well, not Windsor. Us 05 or Nottingham would work.

You might try tasting a sample with a tiny bit of instant coffee added. If you like it, scale it up to the size of your beer and add it. I won't tell anyone it's instant.... ;-)

Reactions: J A
Coffee Stouts seem to be everywhere these days and I'm not usually a fan but I boosted the flavor of my (slightly under-attenuated) Guinness clone for my party last month and it was pretty perfect. I used a pint of homemade cold-brew in the keg and threw in about 8 ounces of Vodka to raise the alcohol just a little. It really was a nicely flavored beer. There was plenty of roasted barley in the recipe but the beer was too sweet. With the flavor of the coffee and just a touch more alcohol (it was still only 4.25%ABV) it balanced out extremely well.

What is your normal brewing method?

Coffee Stouts seem to be everywhere these days and I'm not usually a fan but I boosted the flavor of my (slightly under-attenuated) Guinness clone for my party last month and it was pretty perfect. I used a pint of homemade cold-brew in the keg and threw in about 8 ounces of Vodka to raise the alcohol just a little. It really was a nicely flavored beer. There was plenty of roasted barley in the recipe but the beer was too sweet. With the flavor of the coffee and just a touch more alcohol (it was still only 4.25%ABV) it balanced out extremely well.
That's the advantage of spiking a sample at bottling - if the OP doesn't like it, he doesn't have to add it to the entire batch! Nothing wrong with using instant coffee or for that matter cold brew to do this.

Reactions: J A

Back