Local Homebrew Competitions

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Is it normal for a competition to require your recipe with your submission?

No. If you fill out the label for your beer, they will have a second page for you recipe. I never fill them out, the rules listed on the web site will spell out if they want your recipe.

If you happen to get a gold in the NHC second round, they will require a recipe.

The competition is being held by a local craft brewery. They are pretty successful with marketing their beer through the LCBO which is the government run liquor wine beer retailer for the entire province of Ontario.

Having said that, I am not a fan of their beer. They don't have anything that I would purchase.

My friends agree that my last 6 batches of beer have been head and shoulders above anything they make.

I was going to drop off my submission but they said they need the recipe when I drop it off, which I did not have with me.

I don't think I want to give them the recipe...

Some do, and the organizers have the freedom to do so. I believe you have to provide the recipe to enter the NHC. And don't worry: You can give them the recipe and no one can reproduce it. Process influences on the outcome are too great.

I believe you have to provide the recipe to enter the NHC.
Not anymore, if you win a gold in the second round they require it.

If they want your recipe to enter, give it to them. Like Nosy said, good luck replicating it. Normally comps don't ask for the recipe.

Part of the first prize for this comp is that they will brew a large batch of your recipe and give you an 8 gallon keg of it. Obviously they need the recipe then, I guess I will give it to them.
This will be my first comp

That makes sense. I've only done the "big" ones in Canada so I haven't been asked for a recipe yet for anything.

Part of the first prize for this comp is that they will brew a large batch of your recipe and give you an 8 gallon keg of it. Obviously they need the recipe then, I guess I will give it to them.
This will be my first comp
This is a bit of a conundrum with this type of competition. If they expect to brew the beer, they would have a look at the recipe (they won't brew the exact same recipe..period) to see if there's anything odd about it. Problem is that if they have any part in choosing which beer wins, they may be predisposed to choose a beer they'd like to brew rather than one that's objectively best. I don't feel inclined to enter "brewer's choice" competitions. Making a great beer can be of secondary importance to second-guessing what style fits into the brewmaster's agenda.
I don't think you should be too worried about it. If you won, you'd share it anyway and if you didn't, presumably nobody would be interested in it. I doubt that any brewery that's up and running is going to scam an amateur competition to steal recipes. :)

This is a bit of a conundrum with this type of competition. If they expect to brew the beer, they would have a look at the recipe (they won't brew the exact same recipe..period) to see if there's anything odd about it. Problem is that if they have any part in choosing which beer wins, they may be predisposed to choose a beer they'd like to brew rather than one that's objectively best. I don't feel inclined to enter "brewer's choice" competitions. Making a great beer can be of secondary importance to second-guessing what style fits into the brewmaster's agenda.
I don't think you should be too worried about it. If you won, you'd share it anyway and if you didn't, presumably nobody would be interested in it. I doubt that any brewery that's up and running is going to scam an amateur competition to steal recipes. :)
I have been lucky enough to win 2 in those type of competition and your right about brewers choice. I asked the second one why they picked my beer and the answer was not surprising. They said they like the beer a lot and it would be a beer they could kick out quickly (Scottish Ale). I also entered a American Lager and they like that one a lot too, but said they didn't want to bother with a lager. He went on to say they avoid IPA's because they are not always sure they can get there hands on the hops used in the winning beer.

So like all competitions it's a bit of a crap shoot.

I placed second in one AND got my beer brewed. There is the issue of ingredient availability and cost. And brewer's preference plays a role. I enjoy those competitions. Sometimes it's nice to get out from under the BJCP and just brew for what tastes good. And as noted above, it's a crap shoot.

I will let you all know how this goes, I believe that judging starts toward the end of February.
Thanks to all for weighing in,
Craigerrr

So like all competitions it's a bit of a crap shoot.

The winner of a local brewery-sponsored people's choice competition (winning beer on tap) this year was a coconut-something pale ale that was a good beer but nothing you'd count on entering in a "serious" BJCP contest. Last year's winner was some sort of dill pickle concoction. Novelty factor plays a big part in contests that aren't BJCP judged.

.. a "serious" BJCP contest. Last year's winner was some sort of dill pickle concoction. Novelty factor plays a big part in contests that aren't BJCP judged.

Oh for that middle ground between BJCP's often overly serious looking backwards approach (which I understand and agree with in their context) and the dill pickle novelty comp. It's always that problem about everyone just fight endlessly about favourites and trends unless everyone respects every judge very highly.

Oh for that middle ground between BJCP's often overly serious looking backwards approach (which I understand and agree with in their context) and the dill pickle novelty comp. It's always that problem about everyone just fight endlessly about favourites and trends unless everyone respects every judge very highly.
Agreed. But I still wouldn't line up to buy a pint of that dill pickle stuff (although I've had some gose or similar base beer with Sorachi Ace hops that tasted like pickle juice and wasn't bad....).

I know that feeling, I have a Tonka Bourbon Porter I haven't been able to get a good answer out of any of the semi local judges about how to categorize it and it just gets torn apart in whatever category I put it in despite them all liking it.

Dill pickle sounds like a 1 pint beer for me.

Dill Pickle... To each his own I guess, I love a garlicky dill pickle, but can't imagine wanting it in a beer. No more than I would want jam on my eggs, ketchup on my ice cream, or peanut butter on my burger;)

Dill Pickle... To each his own I guess, I love a garlicky dill pickle, but can't imagine wanting it in a beer. No more than I would want jam on my eggs, ketchup on my ice cream, or peanut butter on my burger;)
Don't knock a bacon jalapeno peanut butter cheeseburger. Goes down great with a guinness!

Pickle juice is quite nice in small quantities. Pickle juice beer.... Have to think on that for a while. I have an idea for a cucumber gose using Sorachi Ace hops for the dill flavor. Hmmm.....

Reactions: J A
My Mom always said "there is no accounting for taste", your taste is your taste, whatever it is you like, you are not wrong!
Happy Friday Folks
Now, time for a rhubarb and jelly sandwich for lunch

Back