Local Homebrew Competitions

My local homebrew club has asked that anyone entering this competition not make any reference to the club. One of the owners of this craft brewery has 4 charges of assault, o e with a weapon against his now estranged female partner. For this reason I have decided not to enter the competition.

Yeah...that seems like a wise decision. If your club doesn't want to be associated in any way with this outfit, that's a pretty strong statement. There'll be other competitions.

My local homebrew club has asked that anyone entering this competition not make any reference to the club. One of the owners of this craft brewery has 4 charges of assault, o e with a weapon against his now estranged female partner. For this reason I have decided not to enter the competition.
Yep don't wanna get entangled in that web. Brewings supposed to bring you enjoyment not trouble.

That might be a smart move. You can look up plenty of other comps to enter.

Plus they want your recipe? Well that’s where I draw the line.

Brewing with thugs. Awesome!

I have entered such contests with mixed results. true: they will take your recipe and try to make what "you" brewed. realistically most will come close but not yours. too many variables from one brewer to another.

I handed a dead solid blonde ale to the local brewer only to mess it up and make it a drain pour.

We give pro brewers too much credit sometimes. money doesn't replace experience

The best outcome of that type of competition is that you get to collaborate with a pro brewer to scale up a recipe and get to experience helping brew on a large system. A good brewer will be able to interpret your recipe in a way at utilizes his stock ingredients and/or makes intelligent substitutions based on his suppliers and also solicits and incorporates your input to honor your original ideas about the beer. When it comes down to it, it'll be a slightly different beer but it can be better in a lot of ways if it's a good mutual effort.

Don’t take it too seriously, it’s fun no matter what comes of it.

Ya, I'm moving on from this. As I noted, I am not a fan of their brews. There are three high quality craft brewers in town that I have good relationships with, maybe I can do a collaborative brew with one of them down the road.

If you are concerned, just submit your recipe, but not the entire recipe. You know, leave out a key ingredient here or there. I suspect most of the recipe copies of famous beers from breweries like Russian River or the like are approximations of what they really brew. If they do decide to brew your beer for real, you can feel free to give them an updated copy.

If you are concerned, just submit your recipe, but not the entire recipe. You know, leave out a key ingredient here or there. I suspect most of the recipe copies of famous beers from breweries like Russian River or the like are approximations of what they really brew. If they do decide to brew your beer for real, you can feel free to give them an updated copy.
Not that any of the REST of us have ever done such a dastardly thing.... :rolleyes:

That's why aha winning recipes don't work?

That's why aha winning recipes don't work?
No. Most winning brewers are honest and open about their beer recipe and even their process.

The problem lies in process. There was a local brew comp that provided the recipe and brewers had to use only the ingredients listed. The beers turned out very different from each other. Winners and losers.

I give my recipes to whom ever ask for them and I’m not worried I’ll lose my competitive edge. It comes down to how you handle the brew from start to finish.

I wouldn't say no to entering a "people's choice" competition, but the BJCP sanctioned comps mean more to me. I'm interested in having some of my beers brewed to style, since the many varieties interest me, and I dig the research and puttering around with different ingredients. So having a beer evaluated on those merits is important to me. Of course, it's nice to have people say they like it, but measuring up to established criteria means more to me.

And I agree that you're wise to stay away from any competition that is sponsored by an organization that has a member with pending charges. Yikes. Cross the street and keep walking.

Just got my results back for my barleywine I made this time last year Bronze.
20190528_170740.jpg

Averaged 40.8 so I'm chuffed with that they got some aroma and flavour notes berries raisins rich malt caramel fruit cake. None noted any oak flavor and all said hops a bit low on ballance.
20190528_170723.jpg

Good to get some feed back on this will have to submit it next year and see if I can go one better lol.

Nice numbers Ben!
Bask in the glory!
Congratulations!

Congrats Ben! 41 is awesome.
Well I didnt think I was going to nudge 40 with that beer. I havnt tried it in some time neither weather is cooling here so I should bottle some off the keg to drink on the cool evenings.
I did give a bottle to one of my bros and asked him his thoughts on it tis feedback wasnt too positive so I was half fearing the worst but his go to is light lager mass produced beer so barleywine is like jumping in the deep end for his light lager pallet :p.

I'm entering my first of the year, the Canadian ones all filled up so damned fast. It's the local competition that tore me to shreds last year so if that happens again I'll probably hang up the competition hat with my existing medals and just advertise myself as an award winning brewer.

Back