Local Homebrew Competitions

Congratulations! Forty-one is a great score. I've yet to break the 40 barrier myself. Great job!

Awesome, congratulations!
Just got my results back for my barleywine I made this time last year Bronze.
View attachment 6155
Averaged 40.8 so I'm chuffed with that they got some aroma and flavour notes berries raisins rich malt caramel fruit cake. None noted any oak flavor and all said hops a bit low on ballance.View attachment 6156
Good to get some feed back on this will have to submit it next year and see if I can go one better lol.

Entering three beers in Halfpenny Brewing's competition today. Two of the beers were in the NHC, scores of 30 (robbed!) and 40. The other is a chipotle chili beer, my first ever entry in Cat 32A.

i've never entered but have been thinking about it recently. I'll probably enter a few BJCP judged competitions just to get some feedback on the beers. Question: when entering a beer to style, can you enter one with a non-traditional ingredient for that style? say a blonde brewed with a kolsch yeast, or kviek...etc. I'm not talking about non-traditional ingredients like pickle juice.

i've never entered but have been thinking about it recently. I'll probably enter a few BJCP judged competitions just to get some feedback on the beers. Question: when entering a beer to style, can you enter one with a non-traditional ingredient for that style? say a blonde brewed with a kolsch yeast, or kviek...etc. I'm not talking about non-traditional ingredients like pickle juice.
I can't imagine there is anything wrong with that....
I say go for it!
I am eagerly awaiting the results of the competition I just entered. Third one I've ever entered and the first one in probably 8 years!

Nope not at all they won't even know the ingredients in the beer unless you link it.

Enter the beer as it tastes. In other words, you meant to brew a Blonde, but ended up with an awesome Kolsch. I’ve made pale ales with Kolsch yeast and got first in a fairly big local comp.

Taste the beer, look closely at the guidelines and enter in the category that best fits the beer. Never mind the ingredients or your original intentions.

Thanks all, that makes it pretty clear. I’ve got to find some bottles and dust off the capper. Looks like a good number of events the rest of the year.

The Jax,Fl comp was filled fast. the event contact guy just emailed me that someone dropped out. I got an Alt and Schwartzbier entered. First time brews. i already made some minor adjustment to recipes. I don't have big expectations but hopefully decent scores. will be interesting to see if they recommend the same adjustments i made.

Last edited:
The Jax,Fl comp was filled fast. the event contact guy just emailed me that someone dropped out. I got an Alt and Schwartzbier entered. First time brews. i already made some minor adjustment to recipes. I don't have big expectations but hopefully decent scores. will be interesting to see if they recommend the same adjustments i made.
Good luck with it!

Back